Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's a shame that if someone can't be happy for you that they feel a need to make a hurtful comment. I was fortunate to have most people congratulate me and a few younger folks genuinely ask for advice on how they can prepare to retire early. Two of my coworkers left shortly after I did, mainly to get away from a couple of other coworkers that made life miserable for the rest of us, not wanting to deal with them without me as a buffer.
Management approached me to offer more money to stay, which I respectfully declined. Then they tried to get me to point fingers at people that caused me to leave early, though I never gave them any indication it was someone else that pushed me out. I did then tell them their leadership could use some changes, but they didn't appreciate that much. It was a short meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I also think there is some old animosity bubbling up. In 2010 the company ended the pension plan but those hired before 2009 were grandfathered in. those who were hired before 1995 will get almost full pensions. A lot of the more recent hires felt that no one should have been grandfathered in. why get mad at me?? Lol, my pay level is waaaay below those who make that call
That's interesting. We still have pensions so there's never any animosity when someone retires. Mostly just "I'm jealous" and "That's amazing" comments but nothing snide. We usually even throw a small retirement party (cake or pastries) during break time. I hope I never have to encounter what you're seeing. Lol, the more common joke among the older folks (60s or so with 20+ years of service) is "You're rich. Why haven't you retired yet?"

Anyway, congratulations and I hope you get the package!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning on retiring in 6 months (or at the very least, becoming very part-time), and none of my coworkers/friends/family know about it. It will be interesting to see what the various reactions are...
Old 10-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For sure, and it was never seen on the earth before 2013. People are surely going to the dogs. it must be due to sugar.
Aah the sarcasm , the wit, the dry humor ... thoroughly enjoy your comments Haha .

Sorry about your loss bclover, people making such mean comments are not worth paying attention to , with time they will be out of sight , out of mind.

-Desi Girl
Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Two major events in my life, leaving Megacorp with a golden handshake after 25 years, and leaving first marriage after 26 years, taught me to never over-estimate the calibre of my acquaintances.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Stories like this are so common that I was very hesitant to tell anyone that I was retiring at 51. However, I got no weird reactions at all from anyone; family, friends or co-workers. Everyone seem happy for me.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Now, you know that's not true. Sugar is merely incidental and dogs are irrelevant. Because, all trouble and strife was brought into the world in 2001. Before then, everything was easy, college was free and people got jobs the day after graduating, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For sure, and it was never seen on the earth before 2013. People are surely going to the dogs. it must be due to sugar.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
I'm planning on retiring in 6 months (or at the very least, becoming very part-time), and none of my coworkers/friends/family know about it. It will be interesting to see what the various reactions are...
My advise, don't say anything more than a week before.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Some very nasty co-workers there. Sounds like they are bitterly jealous.
Exactly. Glad I didn't experience that when I ER'ed.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Two major events in my life, leaving Megacorp with a golden handshake after 25 years, and leaving first marriage after 26 years, taught me to never over-estimate the calibre of my acquaintances.
lol. definitely have to remember that
Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #71

bclover, I am sure you got a lot more "congrats" than the nasty/not so PC ones remarks, right? I hope that is the case and that's what you remember from the announcement.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #72

I got a few you're too young shocked responses and quite a few I wish I could do what you're doing.
I'm sure there were fear and jealousy but at least co-workers didn't openly express it (and gave me a nice going-away reception).
Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
bclover, I am sure you got a lot more "congrats" than the nasty/not so PC ones remarks, right? I hope that is the case and that's what you remember from the announcement.

LOl. definitely. actually we got many "good lucks". It was just really weird because like I said this is just the application process.

We still have to be approved and most of the people who have submitted the application (we have until 10/29) are very close to retirement. I would say 55-60

Who knows. keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #74

Quote:
LOl. definitely. actually we got many "good lucks". It was just really weird because like I said this is just the application process.

We still have to be approved and most of the people who have submitted the application (we have until 10/29) are very close to retirement. I would say 55-60

Who knows. keep your fingers crossed for me.
My fingers are crossed for you.

( I can only dream about what you are going through. My megacorp does not believe in voluntary retirement. They only know layoff with bare minimum severance pay. )
Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is why I make sure to congratulate all the people who announce their retirement at my office, & when anyone else pipes up that the person is too young to retire, I correct them: "no such thing!" My co-workers know I'm super frugal & won't be working til I'm in my 70s...not there at least "she still has the first dime she ever made" LOL so it won't be a surprise but I won't count on there being no negative comments.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #76

I have a SIL who thinks we must be rich and 'lucky' because we retired at 59 and travel quite a bit.

As I pointed out to my wife...we don't own two top of the line iphones with the full meal deal package, we don't operate two cars we cannot afford, we don't live in a house we cannot afford, we don't eat out three or four times a week, and we never run an O/S balance on our credit cards, we don't buy furniture on the never never plan/don't pay a dime plan.

We actually planned our life and made pro-active decisions-some of them very difficult. We did not sit back an just let things happen.

So I guess we are 'lucky'
Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I have a SIL who thinks we must be rich and 'lucky' because we retired at 59 and travel quite a bit.

As I pointed out to my wife...we don't own two top of the line iphones with the full meal deal package, we don't operate two cars, we don't live in a house we cannot afford, we don't eat out three or four times a week, and we never run an O/S balance on our credit cards, we don't buy furniture on the never never plan/don't pay a dime plan.

We actually planned our life and made active decisions. We did not sit back an just let things happen.

Calling someone "lucky" simply points out how clueless and uninformed the speaker is. Making comments about someone's deceased spouse, is cruel and mean-spirited.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #78

Weird reactions to early retirement announcement.

Hope you get selected, but is there anything you can do that would make you "less" valuable to the organization while not hurting your employment until your planned retirement date? Something like spinning off a project to a younger coworker making them more valuable?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyhoo, me and a few others told some coworkers that we were accepting the package.
comments have been eye opening to say the least.

We've had a number of threads on the subject of "reactions of others to my RE announcement." The one common thing I notice occuring prior to the OP receiving unwanted comments is the OP telling others. It has to be so tempting to do so. You're excited. You're likely hoping for some consensual validation of your decision. Etc.

But it does seem like NOT telling others and simply waiting to see how the application process goes and eventually letting the system (management, HR, whoever) get the word out as necessary would be the way to go.

The "quiet strategy" pretty much worked for me, although the situation was not exactly the same.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We actually planned our life and made pro-active decisions-some of them very difficult. We did not sit back an just let things happen.

This is often unappreciated by those just living the normal American have-money/spend-money existence. Your comment reminded me about actors and athletes who get their "lucky break," yet it is rarely mentioned in the press that he/she has been 100% dedicated to pursuing their passion since childhood.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum