Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Tears? I'd probably say, Did you really just say that? I guess you were raised by wolves.

Perfect comeback!

Sad, that people can be so insensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good time to extricate yourself from that nonsense. Lots of jealousy from those who didn't prepare very well for what lies head in the future.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Sounds like a good time to extricate yourself from that nonsense. Lots of jealousy from those who didn't prepare very well for what lies head in the future.
How does someone else's lack of preparation or jealously override the rules of common decency? Sad that people are so self-centered.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So sorry for the rude comments, I can say I heard many similar ones... its unfortunately part of our society right now. Honestly I think it has to do with the fact most people would rather assume you "fell" into it rather than admit that they work at the same job as you, make the same income as you, and don't have two pennies to their name... ie since it can't be their fault for having no money it must be your fault by "cheating" the system somehow.

Jealousy is an ugly trait. Good luck in your next adventure, within a few days you will quickly forget all about this as you start your new adventure.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #25

Jealousy is a real problem nowadays.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

As others have said, this all melts away the day you walk out that door for the last time. Just smile and think about the first morning with no alarm clock waking you up.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Jealousy is a real problem nowadays.
I understand it has been an issue for some time.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=ESV

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy,[a] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #28

Doesn't sound like you will miss work much. Ignorance and bad behaviour is quite common it would appear.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #29

I mostly deal with understanding, sometimes mild disbelief and confusion from my peers in their 30s. Those I can handle. Thing is though they have done MBAs and such, so either have (inherited) wealth themselves or know plenty of people who have it. Real wealth, not my pitiful FI-sum. The LBYM route though is very exceptional and challenges some world views.

Friends I studied with I shield somewhat from my financial situation. No need to create trouble. I had one friend for example going all confused on me because I didn't work for six months voluntarily. That went away by explaining I'm doing consulting work right now .. that fitted his perception of how reality works again.

I am usually vague about all this unless I think the other side is flexible enough to deal with it.

The funniest reaction (if I can use the term) is sometimes downright denial, with people going straight back to assuming I need to get up every day, sit in traffic jams, deal with co-workers, TPS forms etc .. It feels like being a visitor to a foreign land with strange cultural practices, and being happy you get to go home when you're done.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I understand it has been an issue for some time.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=ESV

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy,[a] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Very true. I just notice more nowadays.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #31

I'm not even retired yet but I have learned already not to say anything to anyone such as, "I plan to retire early". People aren't fascinated by your plans but they instead instantly see a mirror. What comes out of their mouth next simply reflects their own position, whether panic about their debt, their eternal spousal fights about not having enough money, fear about upcoming college tuition/s, embarrassment about their lack of savings, their unquestioned Puritan work ethic, etc. We are the richest country in history that worships the dollar and yet money is the biggest taboo subject. This forum is one of the only "places" a person can discuss money issues openly. That's only because we are anonymous, and hurray for that!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

There are knuckleheads everywhere. Congrats on your VSP and early retirement. When is your last day?
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

These people are appalling, but at the same time they are doing you a huge favor. They are demonstrating to you very clearly that probably they are NOT really your friends at work; they are only the people blobs of protoplasm you work with. The reason this is a favor, is that when you think you miss "your friends at work" you can remember back to the cruel and/or thoughtless things they said. It will help you to be happier in retirement, because you don't have to spend your precious time interacting with such thoughtless people. Instead, you can look for other retired friends who really ARE your friends rather than these morons.

Sorry if I sounded too vehement, but that comment about your late husband was just WAY over the top and would be upsetting to anybody in your situation.

And yes, CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can understand people being envious and scared about their own jobs and financial position, but that is no excuse for the type of comments you've posted.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

If any of my co-workers ever retired, I would have been very happy for them. But unfortunately, I only know of one person (out of hundreds) that was ever allowed to work to age 65.

In 2008, our Lancaster County MegaCorp decided they'd try to run a $15 billion company without experienced people. Everyone 55 and older was retired in 3 waves--without notice. They cut us a deal we couldn't refuse. And it was the best thing to happen to us. Out of 75 working in our Atlanta office, 3 younger employees remain.

We were not given the chance to talk at the water fountain. They called on Thursday and said tomorrow's my last day. And I said "THANK YOU!!!!!!" 36 1/2 years is long enough to work for any company. And I was exactly 58 1/2 and got severance pay for another year--until I started getting a little into my 401K. And 7 years later, my 401K is substantially larger than when I left in spite of withdrawals and the recent turndown in the equities.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
There are knuckleheads everywhere. Congrats on your VSP and early retirement. When is your last day?
so, Friday everyone got an email outlining the offer and what it would entail. the application period is from the 9th until the 30th. Supposedly I can be denied if they deem me "essential". Everyone should know by 11/15.

That's what's so baffling about the venom, technically until we get a letter stating yea or nay we're still in the same boat. if accepted the earliest I could leave (and get the severance) is 2/16

The only consolation is that a few others who said they were putting in for the vsp also got some zingers also, so I guess I shouldn't think I'm special. lol A group manager S, also put in for it and in the middle of the lunchroom one special individual said, "well S, your wife is a vet, you can live off of her.". Seriously

I also think there is some old animosity bubbling up. In 2010 the company ended the pension plan but those hired before 2009 were grandfathered in. those who were hired before 1995 will get almost full pensions. A lot of the more recent hires felt that no one should have been grandfathered in. why get mad at me?? Lol, my pay level is waaaay below those who make that call
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
I can understand people being envious and scared about their own jobs and financial position, but that is no excuse for the type of comments you've posted.
Exactly.

There have been other threads about other's reactions to someone's ER and they posted similar stories, but the one referring to a deceased DH was over the top and crude.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I feel like these reactions are the same as other situations of success. Sure there's some luck involved but success is usually the result of hard work and planning. Yours just came to fruition before others and it's not "fair" that they can't have their cake and eat it right now too.
And wanting their cake and eating it too is the reason they cannot afford to retire now. Lack of delayed gratification.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
So sorry for the rude comments, I can say I heard many similar ones... its unfortunately part of our society right now. Honestly I think it has to do with the fact most people would rather assume you "fell" into it rather than admit that they work at the same job as you, make the same income as you, and don't have two pennies to their name... ie since it can't be their fault for having no money it must be your fault by "cheating" the system somehow.
+1

I've been the recipient of a "must be nice (insert jealous nonsense here)" remark as well, and I chalked it up to the person making the comment, whom I had worked with many years earlier being pissed at themselves and/or spouse for not having the discipline to make it work for them. As I see it, they had every--maybe even more--opportunity that I did. Wasn't long after that I found my car had been keyed, and some pretty trivial stuff stolen from my yard. No evidence to support my suspicions, but sure seemed highly coincidental.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm self employed in a small business and am selling to my sole co-worker who is 20 years younger than me. He's happy, so am I.

My biggest concern is the comments I hear from my clients. Our work is very hands on and we get to know our clients very well. In a small town like this I hear a lot of comments from them that I must have charged too much over the last 30 years to be able to sell out at age 50. I just saved 50% of my income for 30 years instead...
Del Q is offline   Reply With Quote