Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
OTOH, I wish there were more organized ways to share lesser items. ie, why do 20 homeowners each need lawnmowers, really? It would be so much cheaper for all to share, and everything would probably be newer (though more heavily used during it's shorter life). It does seem silly that on a street of detached homes, each home probably has a lawn mower, lawncare implements, complete sets of tools, specialty small kitchen appliances, outdoor grills, and many other small items that sit idle 90%+ of the time. Any one of us could volunteer our garden shed to house the community items, I'd be happy to dedicate mine to 20 neighbors (too bad we only know 2-3 of them).
What generally happens is that a couple would abuse the equipment, leave it for the next in disrepair, empty of fuel, etc. Eventually, those who take good care of it will get tired of doing all the maintenance and get their own equipment, leaving the co-op.

akck is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
CBS Sunday Morning ran an interesting piece this morning:

Welcome to the new economy built on sharing - CBS News

Two things were very interesting to me: (1) the Lending Club, and (2) the retired lady who rents out her couch, bedroom and car to avoid losing her house, all done on AirBnB.

I did search on "Lending Club" on this forum and was far less interested after I read the threads, although they were pretty old. Maybe someone has more current experience?

I'd have to be in dire straits to rent out my couch and car, but I admire her for not just throwing her hands up and letting the bank take it.

Also, the San Francisco tree house on Airbnb was pretty darned cool
A friend of mine used Airbnb in Spain and saved a lot
We are booked in St. Petersburg, Florida next wk. thru Airbnb (our first)
We did by owner last yr. in BarHarbor which is a lot like Aribnd
We will prob. book our pre Cruise in Seattle thru Airbnb.
I usually look for a lot of reviews and I like to have the whole house or
apt. vs a room.
Clark Howard a great source for consumer information wrote about it:
(Clark actually "retired" in his 30's and then ended up doing what he loved and made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ doing it)

AirBNB offers money-saving alternatives to hotel rooms |

SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think one Midpack's 'but I only know 2-3' comment reference her neighbors indicates one obstacle: communities are not as tight as they once were. Members are more transient. Less cohesion. There is less dependence on others, IMO, and more individualism.

Scheduling use of an item seems a problem as well. 20people who want to use a lawn mower at a time which fits into their own schedule is going to be problematic. 5 people, perhaps. Also need to work out mutually agreeable times to transfer possession of property. Everyone in the share group must also be trustworthy.

And if the sale of law mowers and similar items is reduced significantly, how will that affect the economy?

Most people I know have family members they wouldn't trust in the house overnight. Most thefts from homes I've investigated have been family members. A complete stranger? Not worth the potential risk to my family.

IRS? If your neighbor provides a service you both value at $100, and you reciprocate with a different service you both value at $100, what's the bottom line?
If you are both neighbors helping each other out, that doesn't count as someone hiring their labor out. Either way, I don't see the IRS being an issue.

Just some thoughts...
"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I probably shouldn't have used 20 people as my sharing example. If I share with just 1 neighbor, I cut my costs for all those items by almost 50%. So if I can share with just 3-4, we could be money ahead. And accountability for care of equipment would be more manageable the smaller the group. I think I will actively try to do my next neighborhood.
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've often thought about that too, Rental places seem pretty expensive, and a bit of a hassle to get stuff back in time. I've often wondered why public libraries are only organized around books/music - why not these other occasional use items (tools, etc)?

I know that my in-law's retirement place has a common workshop, but I don't think they have a common 'share' place for occasional things like cooking stuff you would only occasionally use, bread-makers ansd such - who needs that taking up space in a smallish apartment?

There are tool libraries out there.
List of tool-lending libraries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
powerplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Former super-groupie Pamela Des Barres, author of "I'm With The Band" used to rent out a room in her house in Venice, CA and when she was out of town, she'd rent out the whole house. She's an effervescent, fun person and I thought a great way to stay in LA while visiting would be to rent out the spare room while she was in town.

I'm pretty sure she had a listing on airbnb but I haven't been able to find it in a brief search just now. A friend pointed the listing out to me last year.

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote