Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Well-disciplined, but...
Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then you missed a lot of really cool ****.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Give me a break, that was a long time ago.
Hey folks, cut Jarhead some slack. He's used all his fingers and toes twice to compute up to 40. He's very close to running out of things to count!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
My Wife reads this board occasionally when I post something.
Uh oh...

Mrs. Jarhead, you are the object of my deepest respect and admiration. I am in awe of your ability to persevere even when faced with the daily burden you have lived with for these past 44 years. You must be a saint...or you're on some serious medication.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
It appears that people who contribute to this board are well-disciplined regarding their investment strategies.
Right now we're all looking over our shoulders and trying to figure out who the heck you're talking about.

Quote:
But, the question is: what kind of news event might cause you to pull out 25-50% (or more) of your investment in the market?
I can't think of one, and that's the whole idea behind rebalancing. If our asset allocation got out of whack by more than 5% (e.g., small caps rose from 25% to 31% of the
total) then we'd sell/buy to get things more in line. Maybe a big drop would cause us to sell off a bloated asset and take our time getting back into another asset, but that type of dirty market timing has been fraught with disappointment. In a sharp drop (bad news, a terrorist attack, whatever) we'd probably jump too quickly, and in a slow hemorrhage we probalby wouldn't notice the problem in time.

Quote:
Second part: what sort of news event might cause you to add much more to the market than you had planned?
Hey, we can answer that one. We keep an eye on our ETFs and a few stocks we wouldn't mind owning. When the prices drop at least 10% into bargain territory then we start getting alerts from Fidelity's website and we can watch the numbers.

We bought Apple at $11/share when they had $5/share cash, we bought Disney at $17.69/share after 9/11, we bought Berkshire Hathaway several times on sale between $2050-$2200/share, and we bought a small-cap value ETF several times during the 2003-2004 recovery. Of course we sold the Apple stock at $16/share when we felt we'd made an obscene profit, and we've bought a few other stocks well before we should have. But we've learned a lot (including patience) and our trading activity has slowed considerably.

As for the rest of you guys, I'm surprised you didn't hand Jarhead a load of crap for giving birth to a fully-grown homemaker wife in 1966 at the same time he was having those two kids. That must've been a series of serious medical miracles!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It appears that people who contribute to this board are well-disciplined regarding their investment strategies. But, the question is: what kind of news event might cause you to pull out 25-50% (or more) of your investment in the market? Second part: what sort of news event might cause you to add much more to the market than you had planned?
Shoot, I forgot the OP.

1 - What would cause me to pull 25-50% out of the market? A 25-50% runup over what I thought was fair value. I think we're about 10-12% overvalued right now, so i'll stick with the bull.

2 - What would cause me to add much more? A 25-50% drop under what I think is fair value.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Wait until Costco sells it for $75,000 with a free sample on a toothpick at lunchtime.

Hey Jarhead...as the 18 year old from missoula says, you get to remember it any way you want to. As long as I get to make you feel like an old fart by pointing out that I was two when you got married and just graduating high school in '79.

And are you enjoying this minnesota-like weather we're having?
TH: Yep, there's a lot of eye-rolling on my wife's part when I get involved with recalling dates.

We had plenty of warning ahead of time re: the weather, but I decided to
call the course this A.M. to see if we could get out. Good conditions if you were planning on Ice Skating, but they have a hold on the frozen greens until "possibly" this afternoon. Put another log on the fire.

Anyway, I see you're back to posting again. (You're far too young to be
retired).

Take Care, Jarhead

Old 01-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

After two days of baby duty, I feel a lot older than I am. We're two weeks away from his nibs' second birthday and the terrible twos are in full force.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

As for the rest of you guys, I'm surprised you didn't hand Jarhead a load of crap for giving birth to a fully-grown homemaker wife in 1966 at the same time he was having those two kids. That must've been a series of serious medical miracles!
Hey Admiral: Apparantly you didn't read ReWahoos post on this re:
my receiving a boatload full of crap.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #28

Quote:
But, the question is: what kind of news event might cause you to pull out 25-50% (or more) of your investment in the market?
News of my 80th Birthday. Imminent asteroid impact. Worldwide nuclear war. 25 to 50% increase in value.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Three words: President Hillary Clinton

Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Eh, things didnt go so badly when her accomplice was in office.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

Why? By and large she is a centrist who tries to please everyone.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Why? By and large she is a centrist who tries to please everyone.
I think your definition of a centrist might be a little different than mine.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

My wife says if she gets elected we're moving to Australia

-Warthog
Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure they'll throw another shrimp on the barbie for ya.

Any room still left in Alecbaldwinia?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

yeah, makes a lot of sense--if she's president we might have another 8 years of bull market and balanced budget. That would be pretty threatening. :

Old 01-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
yeah, makes a lot of sense--if she's president we might have another 8 years of bull market and balanced budget. That would be pretty threatening. :
: :

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote