Join Early Retirement Today

Well I'm unemployed today
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I'm unemployed today

Quite a shock. I feel pretty $hitty. Had to cancel my HE Loan refi too - just to be safe. I just sent the notarized papers back this morning.

Time to update the resume.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that sucks. What happened? Sudden layoff?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry! Sounds like it was a shock for you. Take care of yourself this weekend.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about this; keep us updated.

Something like that once happened to me; it was devastating only because it was totally unexpected. Just a few days before, my supervisor told me she hoped I wasn't thinking about leaving and gave me a list of projects coming up in the next few months. I was stunned when personnel sent someone in with the news to pack up and be out by noon. I took myself to lunch!

A week later, I heard that my entire section was terminated because an expansion proposal was rejected. It would have been very helpful to have heard that from the personnel rep.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Had to cancel my HE Loan refi too - just to be safe.
Sorry to hear .... why not let THEM cancel. Depending on how far along you are your employment status may not have been an issue.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Something like that once happened to me; it was devastating only because it was totally unexpected.
Happened to me once, too.

Being fired is virtually always an unhappy experience, but when it comes out of the blue it is probably more difficult to handle. Then again, if you do get some warning signs, waiting for the axe to fall wouldn't be any picnic, either.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

I was fired too but I hated my job so it was a blessing. I worked with a guy that was fired 12 times. I asked him what he thought of that. He said he like it because each time he collected unemployment. He was very frugal so he could pay his bill on it. Different people look at the same thing many different ways. Another guy I worked with was fired 4 times. He said he liked it because he spent alot of time with his kids when he was off. Both of these guys had some back up money for times like these.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #8

I'm So Sorry...I know it may sound trite, but I have always found that when a door closes another opens.
BestWishes!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey John, been there done that. It's tough but virtually everyone goes through it. You should be able to apply for unemployment insurance ASAP.

Take a look at Monster.com. A veritable repository of interesting opportunities. As someone previously mentioned, another door will be opening for you at the right time. Just try to keep your spirits up & keep active. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.

FMH
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck in the coming weeks, John.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of us have experienced this. Usually it's a shock.
Just remember, business is a vile thing and will throw you under the bus at any time. It's much easier said than done, but, no matter how well your j*b seems to be going, "they" will drop you like yesterday's garbage through no fault of your own. Again, much easier said than done, but do not take it as a personal failing. It's not you, it's them.

Treat your next j*b and any others in the future, as simply the way you happen to be making money on that particular day. No matter what the boss says, good or bad, always keep looking for a new situation. Never become complacent. They're going to try to stab you in the back. Prepare for the blow and be ready to spin away
when it comes.
Think of the pleasure you will feel when, as the personnel guy is in the process of giving you the ax, you pull out your cell phone and accept a new position before he even has the chance to tell you to clean out you desk.
Without missing a beat, you will be on your way and it will gall the stuffin' out of management.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

That is tough, but tolerable. One of the few people I knew who held CEO position in Big Buck$ Corp. Got voted out by the board.

His expression stuck with me.......... Lots of options now.

That view helped me through lots of tribulations.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It was a shock for me... because they had spent the money to fly me to NY a few weeks before the date... but they had it planned three months earlier...

It was not a big shock... but a small one... and since I got the 60 days and such I could start to look quickly...

Took maybe 2 or 3 months and a number of interviews... but landed a nice job with a small company... enjoying the new job AND getting my severance.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #14

I got laid off a couple of times, though it was not a shock. Management had forewarned us for a while before the actual announcement. The first one was hard to accept. The thought of "why me" and shame occurred at the onset but quickly subsided. The second one was much easier to handle. The key is not to blame yourself and start looking for another job or consider changing career direction. This is an opportunity to reflect what you really like to do and go after it. I was fortune both times - it only took a couple of weeks to find a similar job with higher pay.

Just stay cool for a while. Take some time to work on something that you have been putting off.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

been there done that - still stings a little when I think of it 10 years later but you move on
cvoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am in financial services and my job has been in jeopardy a few times. I was with a company that was for sale -- not fun -- and I started on my plan B before they could get to me. In my current position I am with a hedge fund in the absolute worst sector of the market. My firm shrank to just the critical few over the past year. I have hung on, but it has been incredibly stressful. I feel for you.

It is probably little consolation right now, but for those people I know who have been laid off, they have almost all landed in better circumstances. It is true what they say about one door closing. . .

Start working on those positive thoughts and visualize your dream life. It can and will be yours. Good luck.
FlaRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I am feeling a little better today.

We knew layoffs were going to happen Friday, but I didn't expect to be one of them. My mgr had even mentioned about getting a bigger raise this yr. I was also in the middle of several projects, but I guess they weren't mission critical. 7 years...poof.

I never like to burn bridges so I left with class. I contacted my former manager and CIO today and they both happily agreed to write me letters of recommendation as I have already applied for another position.

Ideally, I would like to take June off and find another job in July so I can collect a pay check and severance pay. Whatever gets me close to FI so I never have to feel like that again. Ouch.

JD
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #18

This is the reason I always felt from my first job that it was critically important to save a pile of what I called (FU) money. It gave me a great feeling of security knowing that no matter what the bastards did I would be Ok. As it turned out that pile of FU money grew over time to FI money 9 years ago and then to ER money 6 years ago. Hang in there, you'll be fine
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear about your layoff, JohnDoe.

I got laid off once before when my company was going under during the dot-com implosion, and yeah the "FU" fund really made me much more calm about the whole ordeal. Having that emergency fund of 6 months living expenses really does take the edge off of a situation like that.

Good luck in your job search, and I'll echo what others have said here: there will be a silver lining on this cloud and it might be a good thing when you look back years later.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I am feeling a little better today.

We knew layoffs were going to happen Friday, but I didn't expect to be one of them. My mgr had even mentioned about getting a bigger raise this yr. I was also in the middle of several projects, but I guess they weren't mission critical. 7 years...poof.

I never like to burn bridges so I left with class. I contacted my former manager and CIO today and they both happily agreed to write me letters of recommendation as I have already applied for another position.

Ideally, I would like to take June off and find another job in July so I can collect a pay check and severance pay. Whatever gets me close to FI so I never have to feel like that again. Ouch.

JD
The sun always comes up. Glad you are feeling better. Hopefully you will land even a better job and not have to worry about layoffs again. Good luck and keep us up to date.