Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does it follow that developing a pesimistic streak should be an integral part of our retirement planning?

At least in the US you should still have some form of SS etc to support you. A lot of other countries have no such system. (Of course, very few countries have such expensive health care, long term care etc.)

The best protection against running out of money is to save more than you think you need and to continue to live below your means. This is why our retirement plan calls for zero draw down of principal even though mathematically it could tolerate a SWR of around 2%.

And to address the original post - intergenerational tension is nothing new

"We think our fathers fools, so wise we grow
No doubt our wiser sons will think us so"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Way back in time, when the "homeless" were bums and winos, we had many of them who actually had "careers" as city jail trustees. When they tired of the streets, had run out of drinking money or wanted a good bed and three squares; they all knew exactly how big of a window to break to equate a misdemeanor worth city jail time and not county or state time.

I remember when their plan was to walk in front of a slow moving car and spend the winter in the hospital . Nice bed ,good care ,meals and no worry of shower problems .

Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I remember when their plan was to walk in front of a slow moving car and spend the winter in the hospital . Nice bed ,good care ,meals and no worry of shower problems...
... in addition to getting to talk to cute nurses.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Our options may include public care in Canada
Then I hope you are paying your taxes in boom/bust Alberta...

Quote:
I have joked that my Plan B is to rob a bank in Canada.
Sure, just stay away from mine!

Quote:
Prisoners up here go to the head of the line for all public health care including transplants.
Health care for prisoners is regulated by the Feds. The provinces do a better job.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Way back in time, when the "homeless" were bums and winos, we had many of them who actually had "careers" as city jail trustees. When they tired of the streets, had run out of drinking money or wanted a good bed and three squares; they all knew exactly how big of a window to break to equate a misdemeanor worth city jail time and not county or state time.
We had a couple of those as well, the most notorious being Cletus, who would periodically break the glass front door of the police station to get free kidney dialysis. We finally told him to stop breaking that expensive piece of glass and settle for the window in the captain's office since that would accomplish the same objective.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of Ernest T Bass....

Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, if Hugh Hefner can do it , why not others? He's an Encouragement to us older guys..
and has Disdain by the Older Women and Of course Married Men that can't..
and it's not just for the Sex with the younger Girls, They keep him going and Younger over-all..

Just like Older people do better with Hanging around Thire Kids and Grandkids, etc..

as for Living too Old? Mot spend most fo their days either In Bed Sleeping or Watching TV.. and after a few yrs of seeing the same Shows, Movies 20x, & the Newest Garbage for the younger people? You look to just shut it off and go to sleep for good.

And Should Medicare be Rationed? Puting out $100k for a Liver transplant for a 90 yr old on their last leg and maybe get 3-6 more mos of laying in a Bed?

While Hospitals and Dr.'s are abusing & justifying It with Over-Charging it, so they can take care of the Uninsured..Even the Illegals..

some Illegal little Kid comes in and needs $50k in care, you want to turn them down and tell them to go home and die..?

While we give Billions in our tax $ to Companies to give out to their Exec.s in bonus's for loosing so much $....( ie: AIG, GM and Others) to bailing out a Bank that Gambled to much to Poor Mgmnt. to negligence , capitalizing on FDIC.. and not putting those Bankers Into Bankruptcy and sending them to Jail at least..

While Hundreds of Thousands suffer and Thousands Die every Month from Diseases, thru no fault of their own..

And what if Our SS # was Privately Invested and what if it would make 9% apy as they say it would have since 1970? And what if we had to pay in at least 10% a yr into it and end up with getting Twice as Much back ? My guess is that much $ being taken out of our paychecks and being tied up, would Hurt our "Spending Economy" , Hurt Wall Street Brokers not being able Manage and steal $ from us as much to a Host of other things.. And How come we provide Free Military to countires, bail them out and get nothing for it in return? It cost $225,000 a DAY just to run the US Reagan Aircraft Carrier Group.. and protect other countries? While they caharge us Outrageous Cost for their Oil?

They say WWII bailed us Out of the last Depression and Created most of the Fortune 500 Co.'s we have.. Are the current Wars going on doing our economy anygood?

You tell me?

I'd just like to see More of those Found Guilty of Stealing $ from Medicare to be Put in Jail and some Be just hanged on street lamposts... Like they do in other countires for theives..

I'd love to see a Bunch of Doctors. Nurses & Admin. Staff being led out of a Hospital and into a Paddy wagon..and see how they like Stqaying at a iron Bar Hotel for 6 mos.. See, how they justify all that $ they stoled from over charging Honest paying People & Medicare to take care of Illegals and other Uninsured Gang Bangers & Drug Dealers and was it worth it..

Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Get the hell off my lawn!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Well, if Hugh Hefner can do it , why not others? He's an Encouragement to us older guys..
and has Disdain by the Older Women and Of course Married Men that can't..
and it's not just for the Sex with the younger Girls, They keep him going and Younger over-all..

Just like Older people do better with Hanging around Thire Kids and Grandkids, etc..

as for Living too Old? Mot spend most fo their days either In Bed Sleeping or Watching TV.. and after a few yrs of seeing the same Shows, Movies 20x, & the Newest Garbage for the younger people? You look to just shut it off and go to sleep for good.

And Should Medicare be Rationed? Puting out $100k for a Liver transplant for a 90 yr old on their last leg and maybe get 3-6 more mos of laying in a Bed?

While Hospitals and Dr.'s are abusing & justifying It with Over-Charging it, so they can take care of the Uninsured..Even the Illegals..

some Illegal little Kid comes in and needs $50k in care, you want to turn them down and tell them to go home and die..?

While we give Billions in our tax $ to Companies to give out to their Exec.s in bonus's for loosing so much $....( ie: AIG, GM and Others) to bailing out a Bank that Gambled to much to Poor Mgmnt. to negligence , capitalizing on FDIC.. and not putting those Bankers Into Bankruptcy and sending them to Jail at least..

While Hundreds of Thousands suffer and Thousands Die every Month from Diseases, thru no fault of their own..

And what if Our SS # was Privately Invested and what if it would make 9% apy as they say it would have since 1970? And what if we had to pay in at least 10% a yr into it and end up with getting Twice as Much back ? My guess is that much $ being taken out of our paychecks and being tied up, would Hurt our "Spending Economy" , Hurt Wall Street Brokers not being able Manage and steal $ from us as much to a Host of other things.. And How come we provide Free Military to countires, bail them out and get nothing for it in return? It cost $225,000 a DAY just to run the US Reagan Aircraft Carrier Group.. and protect other countries? While they caharge us Outrageous Cost for their Oil?

They say WWII bailed us Out of the last Depression and Created most of the Fortune 500 Co.'s we have.. Are the current Wars going on doing our economy anygood?

You tell me?

I'd just like to see More of those Found Guilty of Stealing $ from Medicare to be Put in Jail and some Be just hanged on street lamposts... Like they do in other countires for theives..

I'd love to see a Bunch of Doctors. Nurses & Admin. Staff being led out of a Hospital and into a Paddy wagon..and see how they like Stqaying at a iron Bar Hotel for 6 mos.. See, how they justify all that $ they stoled from over charging Honest paying People & Medicare to take care of Illegals and other Uninsured Gang Bangers & Drug Dealers and was it worth it..

Are you from ACORN, or moveon.org?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Are you from ACORN, or moveon.org?
Loonie bin, more likely.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Tinfoil hats, anyone??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

How can my Ignore List work if you keep quoting the ignorees?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

How would Dennis and Ultimo find each other without these posts? See, we're providing a public service.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #34
Administrator

The last few posts have veered in a direction that seems dangerously close to being personal insults. Please stick to the topic of the thread and avoid personal comments. Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Beat the crowd - just went thru it with a close friend of 35 yrs, age 69 - cancer.

Hospice does a real good job of keeping you drugged up til you croak. As usual there were some family members that objected to her selection of hospice.

Me - stay outta my Michigan snowbank - bottle of vodka and and a snowbank when the time comes. I plan to party in summer - no matter what.

heh heh heh - I plan to stay around long enough to make good on my Curmudgeon certificate. .
Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh - I plan to stay around long enough to make good on my Curmudgeon certificate. .
unclemick...I reckon you just may outlive us all!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
My next question is this: Does anyone here ever think that maybe they'll just end their own life when their money runs out?
Nah, being broke wouldn't put me in the checkout line. Nor would being old and near broke, assuming I make it to collecting a little something every month from the SSA.

But do I think that maybe I'll end my own life when my future runs out?

Now that's a different - and tougher - question...

I know suicide resulting from depression or a mental illness is a sad and terrible thing. This was brought home when I attended such a funeral about a month ago. The deceased could not find peace after a horrible event changed his life and his ability to find optimism. He had a future in front of him, but could no longer see it.

I also know that the first thought I had last week after hearing of a coworker's brother taking his own life while facing a fast-moving terminal illness: "Good for him. He checked out on his own terms."

So I must also believe it is possible for suicide to be a sane, rational decision. So, rhetorically speaking...I'll see ya at the snowbank, Uncle Mick.

In reality, like most, it is likely that I am too much of a coward to take my own life.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Yep - in my case I hope it stays rhetorical for long time.

heh heh heh -
Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
There is a thread on Bogleheads about getting old and not having anyone to care for you. It did divert into suicide as a choice:
Bogleheads :: View topic - Growing old without kids or younger caring relatives
I read through that thread. Very depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Nah, being broke wouldn't put me in the checkout line. Nor would being old and near broke, assuming I make it to collecting a little something every month from the SSA.

But do I think that maybe I'll end my own life when my future runs out?

Now that's a different - and tougher - question...
I agree. It is unlikely that any of the forum frequenters would be in such dire financial strait to have to take his life. It does not take much to live out of an old RV. And even homeless people do not have to kill themselves.

The end-of-life stage is a different matter, and each of us should contemplate that.

A friend of mine has a 93-yr old mother who has not been well. She has been bedridden ever since falling and breaking her hip. She has had the surgery, but there are other complications and it is unlikely she will get better.

Now, she wants to die and has asked to be moved into a hospice. However, her offsprings are talking her out of it. I suspect that she feels or knows that she is dying and sadly her wish is not honored.

I have read that in Holland, euthanasia by patient's requests is allowed. I will be sure to have enough money for transportation to get there.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It's certainly not part of the plan. But if the alternative is living in chronic pain then I at least want the option.