Wellesley 2.84% drop vs. 2.4% distribution

bob boag

Recycles dryer sheets
Yesterday (12/16/15) I nearly swallowed my chewing tobacco when I saw VWIAX dropped 2.84%. Not my first rodeo so I looked at Vanguard's year-end estimated distribution table and saw Wellesley's was 2.4%.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/article/estimated-yearend-distributions-122015

This still didn't smell right because I assume the 2.84% drop was due to the 2.4% distribution plus a 0.44% actual loss. Yesterday should have been a winner because stocks were way up and bonds were only slightly off. I therefore would have expected a NAV drop of significantly less that 2.4%.

Looking closer at the table's notes, Vanguard says the distribution estimates don't include December returns. Hmm I recall that I get my distributions within a couple of days of the NAV drop (12/16/15).

How does this play out? Does Vanguard execute an adjustment to the distribution payment (hopefully positive) after the first of the year?

I'm sure its all legit. Have some eggnog and relax.

The page you linked to is the estimated distribution. You should be happier by using the actual distribution.

When I did the numbers, I saw the fund price increase by 0.24 (or so) the day of distribution.

Back
Top Bottom