Join Early Retirement Today

Wellington probed by Feds in insider trading investigation
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Administrator

Wellington probed by Feds in insider trading investigation

I don't know if many are following the threads on this at the Bogleheads forum. Apparently the feds are investigating Wellington Management, which manages the Vanguard Wellington and Wellesley funds among others. Major investment firms subpoenaed in insider trading probe - latimes.com

Consensus on the Bogleheads board seems to be that there is no reason to panic and sell, but that one should keep an eye on this situation.

It seems to me that if Wellington is eventually found guilty of insider trading, share prices of Wellesley could drop. A lot of our members have substantial holdings in Wellesley so the current investigation might be a good topic for discussion.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

I don't see why share prices of a mutual fund would be greatly affected unless there is so much selling of this fund that it puts pressure on the securities it owns.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't see why share prices of a mutual fund would be greatly affected unless there is so much selling of this fund that it puts pressure on the securities it owns.
Good point, although it is hard to imagine that Wellington might not pass on some of their losses in increased fees. Maybe they really can't. And also, as you pointed out, there could be a lot of selling of the fund. It seems to me that some mutual funds and/or mutual fund management companies got caught up in the Enron debacle though my memory of this is hazy. Of course that was a different situation.

Also, I am thinking that if Wellington fails, Vanguard would just get someone else to manage these funds.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There have been some arrests at some firms

The Associated Press: Big New York insider trading probe spawns another

The Insider-Trading Investigation: A Primer

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...%3Dinteractive
Old 11-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R, you sure know how to get my attention. I have 60% of my nest egg in Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington Funds.

I'm hoping the news that Wellington Management "...received requests for documents from federal investigators looking into insider trading" is nothing more than a fishing expedition by the Feds. That may be the case if we can believe news reports that Wellington, Janus and SAC were asked for info while several hedge funds apparently had the FBI show up with search warrants.

But then there is this troubling comment:

Quote:
“This is going to go beyond hedge funds,” said Stewart Massey, chief investment officer at Massey, Quick & Co. in Morristown, New Jersey, which manages $2 billion on behalf of endowments, foundations and wealthy families. “This is going to involve traditional money managers also.”
I have no idea how this might impact the value of funds managed by Wellington. My worst fear is we learn the true meaning of Unclemick's "pssst -Wellesley" is that's the sound we hear as the air goes out of the share price.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have Wellington for my HSA. So the sound I might hear would be Pssst..Code Blue...Wellington
Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adds a whole new meaning to "Psst Wellesley"

DD
Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

This is nuts! Between this info and Pen Fed sending a members money to the state I think we will have to start thinking Mattress Money at some point.

Maybe Dex had some inside info going to all cash.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
This is nuts! Between this info and Pen Fed sending a members money to the state I think we will have to start thinking Mattress Money at some point.

LOL I was thinking the same thought, the only thing missing is that Buffett is actually being running a Ponzi scheme all of these years.

Remember to buy guns, ammo,and MREs with some of your mattress money.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Unless it's all at PenFed.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have no idea how this might impact the value of funds managed by Wellington.
I see no reason why it should. The NAV is based on the value of the assets it holds, not any promise or obligation from Wellington. There is possibly some liquidity risk in the portfolio if a bunch of folks start heading for the exits. But the most likely downside risk is that Wellington sells its book of business to someone else who hasn't gotten caught cheating yet doesn't cheat.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My worst fear is we learn the true meaning of Unclemick's "pssst -Wellesley" is that's the sound we hear as the air goes out of the share price.
He's been trying to warn you for years. What do you thing he meant by 'pssst Wellesley'? Plus he sold his years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450_melting_070825.jpg (81.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
W2R, you sure know how to get my attention. I have 60% of my nest egg in Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington Funds.
Yes, so many of us have a great deal in Wellesley and Wellington and that is why this information got my attention, too. I have 31% in Wellesley (it's supposed to be 30% according to plan). My plan doesn't allow more than 30% in anything due to concerns about having too many eggs in one basket. On the other hand, I'd hate to risk that 30% (and the great income I have been getting from it).

There are two threads on this on the Bogleheads board, where most seem to agree with Ziggy29 and Gone4Good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good
I see no reason why it should. The NAV is based on the value of the assets it holds, not any promise or obligation from Wellington. There is possibly some liquidity risk in the portfolio if a bunch of folks start heading for the exits. But the most likely downside risk is that Wellington sells its book of business to someone else who hasn't gotten caught cheating yet doesn't cheat.
Still, I thought it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the situation. Each financial disaster that occurs seems to be something that never happened before quite that way, if you know what I mean. So while I am not running off and selling Wellesley shares, I am feeling cautious and want to stay informed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Unless it's all at PenFed.
Or the Fed Pen...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

This does point up one difference between a "conventional" MF and a closed-end fund or an ETF. The later two could suffer a significant drop in value, at least in the short term, if the management has been caught in a scandal. The share price of a traditional MF is based strictly on the value of the underlying assets.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The share price of a traditional MF is based strictly on the value of the underlying assets.
Yes. Assuming that there is really any asset.

Just kidding to scare y'all. :-)
Old 11-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
This does point up one difference between a "conventional" MF and a closed-end fund or an ETF. The later two could suffer a significant drop in value, at least in the short term, if the management has been caught in a scandal. The share price of a traditional MF is based strictly on the value of the underlying assets.
While this may be true for an actively managed closed-end fund, I would think the market would quickly arbitrage away any significant difference from NAV of an ETF.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Forget ETFs, remember ETNs . . . Exchange Traded Notes. Those were the great innovation where a bank would issue a bond and bundle it with futures contracts to create a funded security that behaved like the futures contracts. The only small problem was if the issuing bank went under all the investor owned was a senior unsecured bond of the defaulting bank and a futures contract, which may or may not be in the money. Oops.

Imagine thinking you had invested in the S&P 500 or a portfolio of commodities only to learn that it was mostly just a loan to Lehman.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #19

The worst that could happen is that holders of the W. funds would have to pay a fine because they benefited from insider trading. Since the both funds have rather stable holdings, I'm guessing any perceived benefit would be low. I would be interesting to see if the holdings have change in the last 5 years and the "timing" of those changes. BTW, Wellington does a lot more than just Vanguard funds, so those funds may not be effected at all.
BTW, its too late to sell, the feds will look at the effected period to assess any fines.
TJ
Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #20

Wellington isn't the target of the investigation as best I can tell. Should the thread title be changed?