Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have just logged into my Schwab account, and tried to buy Wellington and Wellesley. The software let me, but I did not go through with it in case I could not cancel the orders.

So, I do not know what problem redduck was having.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A problem with Scottrade while trying to buy (not really) either VWINX or VWELX: a notice shows up in red for each of these funds saying if I want to buy these funds I need to speak to the branch manager. It also says that these two symbols are incorrect. It also stated I should notify NW-Bound of this situation. (Kind of eerie, no?)

Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I just logged into my Scottrade account, expecting a message "redduck requesting assistance!".

No, I did not see that.

So, I tried to place an order for VWINX. It let me, but of course I did not hit "confirm", in case I could not cancel the order.

Then, I had the idea of trying to enter that symbol as a stock, and not a mutual fund. It stopped me in my track, saying "CR99: trading currently disallowed". Hmm... That's misleading.

PS. But whatever the problem is, it is better to buy direct at Vanguard anyway to save on fees. Schwab charges $76/order. Scottrade may charge a similar amount. As much as I like to help my friends, I am too cheap to spend $76 to find out if the order really goes through. That buys me two wine bottles at my favorite French bistro. And yes, the last time we dined with a close-friend couple, I ordered 2 bottles of wine. The wives did not drink. Me and my friend, we did the 2 bottles between ourselves.

By the way, we spent 3 hours at the table, so we were sober when we stood up.

And no, I did not order 2 simultaneously. One bottle at first, but then half-way through the main course, that bottle ran dry. What's a guy to do? Go thirsty?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ooh, that's embarrassing (for me). I obviously tried to place these orders (not really) as stocks--not as mutual funds.

Anyhow, I just went back to the Scottrade website and it's down for maintenance. (Odds are probably about 50-50 I'm getting this right).

"The bottle ran dry"? That's an interesting way of looking at it.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I checked again at Scottrade, and they charge up to $17 for each buy/sell order. That's high compared to stock trade fees of $7, but still a lot less than Schwab at $76. How the heck it costs so much for MF at Schwab?

I made a mistake many years ago of buying a MF through Schwab and got hit unexpectedly with that big fee. No more!

However, Schwab has a lot of no-trading fee MFs and ETFs to select from, so I still have accounts with them. By the way, many of Schwab index funds have lower expense ratios than Vanguards. When I plotted their performance against Vanguard's equivalents, they do not track exactly, but close enough.