Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Were you raised by parents whose lives were impacted by the Great Depression?
Yes, I was. 156 84.78%
No, I wasn't. 20 10.87%
Something else, feel free to explain. 8 4.35%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My father's family had a milk cow named Bessie, and they sold the butter she produced. And my father had a paper route. My grandfather was a local gutter hustler.
A wealthy doctor cousin paid my grandmother $25 a month to take care of Grandma Brown who was blind and almost 100 years old when she died in 1936. She told my father how terrible it was living through a major war in the Battle of Franklin at the end of the Civil War. And she sure hated Yankees.

Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #22

My parents born 21 & 22 and both talked of the very hard times. Farm families and large families and had nothing. The kids were farmed out to work for nothing in exchange for meals. The stories of those dirty thirties were not good but they had one another and God.

street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #23

I was not but my parents were. Only left over frugalness that I see is both sets of grandparents and my great aunts and uncles have well stocked pantries.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

So here's an off topic, is another 'depression' possible in our lifetimes and why, or are the 'safeguards' in place to prevent it from ever happening again throughout the financial infrastructure? (I think I have a couple stacks stuffed in my mattress, or maybe those are just lumps )
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #25

My parents were both born in 1920. They didn't marry until my Dad came home from WW2 at age 25. They met shortly before he left. My Mom was engaged at 18 but he died. Recently I found out I have a sister from when my Dad was in England. They had food and a place to live but not much else. My Mom owned 2 dresses. 1 for school and 1 for home.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Something from my parents father born 1920 mother 1921 . Both came from large families , my father talked of the girls in his family wearing dresses made out of flour sacks . When my father was 16 he lied and joined the CCC camps . To him it was a great experience . My mother's family was from Hungary again a large family . My mother used to tell us kids during WWII all the men were in the war . Every evening the women in her small town would get together at the church and make quilts for their loved ones . She said it was more of a social and what's going on type thing. Several of her girl friends lost their husbands , brothers , friends or reletives . She always said this made them stronger . As far a money mom and dad had two words
(Were broke )
Dad came home from II , worked 37 years in a foundry , raised 3 boys paid his home off . He lost his left leg in WWII so he worked on an artificial leg
never complained . To me my parents are true American heroes My Grandparents on father's side first generation German . My mother was first generation Hungarian.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I chose "Other".

My parents were young adults during WW II. Not being American born, they had to dodge bombs and bullets.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
She told my father how terrible it was living through a major war in the Battle of Franklin at the end of the Civil War. And she sure hated Yankees.
It was the Secesh who initiated that battle IIRC.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Not only the Depression, but one of my parents experienced the Dust Bowl as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My mother constantly worried about money, although she did not need to. She also never threw anything away and would reuse everything she could.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom was born in 1921 dad in 1930. Mom grew up with her mom and three siblings my grandfather walked out when my mom was four years old. We never knew our grandfather as mom wouldn't allow him to come and visit. They struggled, my grandmother worked as a house cleaner to get by. Her parents died around 1890, when she was young, so she went to live in an orphanage in Newark NJ. My dad grew up in western PA, my grandfather worked three jobs to get by. They had boarders that lived in the house for extra money. Their house lot was large for a city, but managed grow fruits and vegetables plus they raised rabbits and chickens for food and eggs. My dad said my grandmother loved making bread and whenever a homeless person came by looking for food she always made them a jelly sandwich. Both my parents were very frugal and instilled that in my brother and I. I still save seeds of some of the same vegetables my grandmother grew. Sorry this is so long...
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, both my parents were born in the 1920s and had very frugal habits and a fear of being poor that they gave to me. My mother talked about it a lot; I don't think she ever felt secure. Her most often repeated advice to me was "save lots of money." (I don't think either of them ever brought themselves to think in terms of investment - they loved the high savings accounts interest in the 80s). My father absolutely refused to have anything to do with a garden. When he was a child, he had to work daily in his family's garden to help feed a family of 8 children.

It did motivate me to be very careful with money. When my mother passed, she was able somehow to leave me a modest sum (forever grateful to her, but sad she couldn't bring herself to spend it). I was careful to use that inheritance in ways that she would approve!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #33

The Depression never visited my grandparent's home, except for one thing:
Grand dad's mom died on October 29, 1929. Great-grandad came home early and said that the markets had crashed. She dropped dead right there in the hallway.

Other than that, mom and her brother were raised as if nothing was going on. The old man had money and made a lot more buying foreclosures.

To the day he died, my uncle would not eat roast beef or steak; claiming he ate that almost every night during the Depression.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #34

I voted "Yes I was" because I am sure my parents were affected by the Great Depression to some extent although they scarcely talked about it. My Dad hardly at all but Mom sometimes mentioned having very few clothes and lining her shoes with cardboard during her younger years (especially when gazing at the bounty of clothes and shoes my sister and I had crammed into our closets).

Dad was born in 1905 and Mom in 1915, both to immigrant parents. My father and his brother were both college graduates as was my Mom and her five siblings (Mom graduated from h.s. in '32 and college in '37 after which she began teaching and eventually earned a master's from Duke in '41). Dad's family became very well off by the 20's and the 30's as his father had an excellent management job in a major steel mill and also owned property and businesses around town. Mom's not so much, but they were very frugal and hard working and my grandfather stayed employed although with reduced hours throughout the '30's, and the children did well in school, some earning scholarships (there were 3 Carnegie Tech grads among the 6 children). My mother said they always had enough to eat, and she never felt poor as so many others were in similar situations and some even worse off. She and her siblings all helped each other (and also her parents) when they got jobs. My mother was always careful and saving with money, my father much less so. My sister and I were told when we were in high school that we could attend college anywhere we chose and they would foot the entire bill.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dad was born in 1925 & Mom in 1930, so yes. You wouldn't believe the stacks of empty plastic butter tubs, boxes of old National Geographic magazines, and the like. Or, maybe you would!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Dad born in 1905 and mom in 1910. I felt like we were well off but in reality my parents were very frugal, as was our life style. In retrospect it seems amazing that my civil servant father and stay at home mother could put five of six kids through college. The home they maintained made me feel that I always had a place and a family I could fall back on. I think that made a huge difference in my outlook.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #37

My parents were born in 1931 and 1932. In-laws in 1933 and 1934. So they all would have been very young during most of the Great Depression. I'm sure they were affected in some way, but they never spoke about it that I can remember. Neither did my grandparents. Growing up, money was very tight in our family, which I posted in the other thread. So we were frugal by necessity. There were no Depression-era habits.

DMIL was age 7-11 during WW2 and came from a large family in London. She tells stories of bombings and then being sent to the countryside to live. She stayed with some people who eventually became her "family." She never went back to her real family after the war. To this day, with the exception of a couple siblings, her "family" in England are the people she stayed with out in the country during the war. She has lots of extreme hardship stories from that time. That was 75 years ago and a lot has changed, but again, I don't see any frugal behavior resulting from that experience. Just stories.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #38

Yes, and I still remember my dads hardship stories. Over and over again.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, both parents were born in the 20's and had stories about growing up in the depression. The biggest impact on me was that my mom got hysterical every time my dad talked about investing in stocks. When my parents retired every dollar they had was in the bank and had been in savings accounts their entire life. Their retired life would have been different if they had invested in stocks.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #40

Both my parents grew up in countries where the the U.S. Depression conditions would have been an upgrade to their childhood.