Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am so thrilled - - my portfolio is at an all-time high and growing by leaps and bounds! This bull market seems invincible.

Time to sell, guys, getting close. Besides, May will be here before we know it. Meanwhile, party on...

Irrational exuberance?

Although I'm close to diverging by 5% from my 40/50/10 asset allocation so some rebalancing is in order.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been trying to get more passive in my investments and I too think it has been a nice run up. I sold about 15% of holdings yesterday ,mostly stocks, and will wait to put it back in (this time into etf index funds). I do not want to be a market timer but feel that the market seems to be ignoring the high gas prices.

Reminds me of 2008 when stocks went down about this time of the year over gas prices . Of course dwarfed my the morgage melt down that year but still a dip.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am so thrilled - - my portfolio is at an all-time high and growing by leaps and bounds! This bull market seems invincible.

Time to sell, guys, getting close. Besides, May will be here before we know it. Meanwhile, party on...

Hang in there, history could repeat. I wouldn't want to hang out in bonds at these very low real rates. We could be repeating our version of the 1980's (red line):

P.S. Chart is not predictive, but it is fun to look at.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #24

I'm tightening up some stop orders. If I get stopped out so be it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Time for me to go in multi-personality mode:

Personality one : Yippee! Portfolio going up!

Personality two : Ah Shucks! Now buying less shares with each DCA

Personality three : No big news. Need to tune out personalities one and two!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #26

That chart is a LOT of fun to look at Lsbcal, even if it has no predicitve qualities whatsoever. I'm giving myself permission to get very excited and all worked up. Might as well have my fun while I can
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I think W2R is too happy in retirement. We need to devise a plan to send her back to work. That should dampen some of that exuberance.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I think W2R is too happy in retirement. We need to devise a plan to send her back to work. That should dampen some of that exuberance.
Yeah, well, she probably sold out and went 100% cash about 10 minutes ago.

After the crash subsides, she'll be buying back in...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
You'd be surprised to see how fast an exuberant fat white-haired woman can run....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Okay..Here we go, Dow closed past the 13,000 mark:

Dow closes above 13,000, first time since crisis - Yahoo! Finance
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Our net worth is higher than it was five years ago, despite withdrawing all our living expenses, and not putting any money in. At this rate we can live forever.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Maybe these numbers will get retail investors excited enough that they'll buy more stocks and I can rebalance soon.

The next whole number we might see is NASDAQ 3000. That number hasn't been crossed since Dec 2000. That should be good for some exuberant type headlines! People will start remembering the good old days of 1999!

We had several days where the DOW crossed 13000 but got pulled back below. There seemed to be some concerted selling whenever DOW crossed. Yesterday, it would have closed above 13000 except for some big program selling in the last 30 seconds. Today they tried to do it again, but they didn't try hard enough!

Now that we closed above I wonder it the market close programs will change their strategy.

Audrey
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

We should all click the "report post" button whenever W2R gets giddy like this!
Be careful what you say, remember who will have to be dealing with all the reports coming in.

It is nice to be into year 3 of ER and have savings that are 13% higher than when we started. Let's just hope nothing is going to smack us in the face right when we are enjoying the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (45.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Okay..Here we go, Dow closed past the 13,000 mark:

Dow closes above 13,000, first time since crisis - Yahoo! Finance
The total return (dividends reinvested) value of the Dow is reportedly around 14,700, compared to the 14,164 mark it reached on October 9, 2007, counting from that peak.

Forget 13,000 -- Dow tops even headier milestone - CBS News
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Still waiting for Dow to close at 13000, howheeever.
Done
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our net worth is higher than it was five years ago, despite withdrawing all our living expenses, and not putting any money in. At this rate we can live forever.
Considering what we've been through, that's impressive and must be reassuring to you for the future.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Oh lawdy, I'd better sell all my holdings and flee for the hills.
At the very least, it's a chance for you to sell some stocks and to rebalance it into a class C RV.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #38
Administrator

Even with my ultra-conservative asset allocation, my portfolio is up 14% from its value a year ago! Those of you with more daring are probably up twice that or more. What a nice thing to see, even though just on paper.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
At the very least, it's a chance for you to sell some stocks and to rebalance it into a class C RV.
You'll be one of the first to know when I do that NW-Bound. There are a few different things in my life (as well as finances) that will all play a part but when the planets align, there'll be no stopping me.

On my way home from the market today, I passed a Class C (looked like about a 24 footer) parked by the roadside that was obviously being lived in full-time. It was a former rental that had been sold (I could tell, as the rental company's logo was still visible from where it had been removed). I stopped, walked all around it and had a good look, hoping that the owners would see me and come out so we could chat.

The feeling of excitement I get whenever I see an RV on the road or parked is a sure sign that this is in my future......

So root for the markets please and help me out with my full-time RV dreams
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
The feeling of excitement I get whenever I see an RV on the road or parked is a sure sign that this is in my future......

So root for the markets please and help me out with my full-time RV dreams
Good, good, good.

Before I got mine, I spent countless hours surfing rvtrader dot com, eBay, RV dealer web sites, and RV forums. Then, one day, my wife happened to spot one on craigslist in our price range, and its size was just about what we wanted. So, we did not have to go out-of-town to buy one as I originally feared. In CA, I am sure there are plenty for you to choose from.

Now, that we have owned one and know what we like or dislike, the next purchase will be easier. For example, knowing that I enjoy traveling this way, next time I would not mind paying more for a diesel class C, which would be better in the long run when fuel prices start to go up.

Yup, my current one is the first, but not going to be the last.