Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
This gets toward what I was thinking about my parents, and what the definition of "work" is. They retired 15 years ago at 57. They moved to their dream home on a lake in NH. Neither works per se, but they do contribute a LOT to their community. My dad is helping the Historical Society rebuild an historic barn, he runs the Photography Club, oversees a rock quarry (he's a rockhound) outside of town, and does a bunch of other stuff. My mom is active with the local cancer support group, the town's art council, and her church.

So, they haven't returned to "work", but they definitely work! They are busier now than when they had real jobs! I don't see why the assumption is that you have to work to contribute to society. How about all the retirees who volunteer countless hours of their time? One could argue that that is more valuable than bringing home a paycheck.
The difference in terms of "work" is that they are doing what THEY want to do. When they don't like it anymore, they have the option of quitting with minimal, if any, repercussions.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any hard data, but how can we fight the demographic trends in developed countries where people live longer, and yet the birth rate gets lower. With so many retirees, who is out there producing? I mean the ones who are not tied up in nursing homes taking care of the elderly?

So, we say people need to work longer. But doing what? How can we provide meaningful and productive work to the elderly who need it?

And should we be talking ill of the people who cannot afford to retire? Not everyone has a good enough income to live on while stashing away tens of thousand a year. And if everyone does, well, to this non-economist, would that not mean higher inflation and cost of living? If everyone has a 7-figure portfolio, but there are so few youngsters out there to pamper and to take care of us geezers, would everything not cost more?

It sounds bleak! And yet, we all want to live longer, into our 90s and 100s. What is good for individuals is not necessarily good for the species!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, we say people need to work longer. But doing what? How can we provide meaningful and productive work to the elderly who need it?
In late middle age people shoud go to law school. Then, after they pass the bar, they can get old clients, and sue other old people, who will in turn hire old lawyers. Judges are already old, as they never die. This should take care of most of the problem.

Ha
Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't have any hard data, but how can we fight the demographic trends in developed countries where people live longer, and yet the birth rate gets lower. With so many retirees, who is out there producing? I mean the ones who are not tied up in nursing homes taking care of the elderly?
Immigration...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yes, thank you! Tell that to people who believe that immigrants simply steal our jobs.

Of course in exchange for them to take care of us and changing our diapers in nursing homes, we will have to pay for the care with our stocks, our homes, our assets. They will earn it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
So, they haven't returned to "work", but they definitely work! They are busier now than when they had real jobs! I don't see why the assumption is that you have to work to contribute to society. How about all the retirees who volunteer countless hours of their time? One could argue that that is more valuable than bringing home a paycheck.
I agree. Fortunately most posts on this forum have some balance. I try to keep in mind this is an ER forum, but I get sideways with posts here from the 'all work is evil, all employers are bad' crowd that openly denigrate those who choose to work once FI, whether PT, full-time or volunteering. Some of the 'all work is evil' crowd were/are undoubtedly the co-workers we all couldn't stand working with.

And I get sideways with posts that suggest that those who choose to relax and putter around should feel guilty.

To me FI is the bigger point, to me it represents the freedom to do whatever DW and I choose. There is no "best" or "right" - it's a continuum of options just like all of life that precedes "retirement."

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Immigration...
Quote:
Yes, thank you! Tell that to people who believe that immigrants simply steal our jobs.
Interesting article:

Immigrants Make Paths to Suburbia, Not Cities

Quote:
They show a portrait of a rapidly changing America, whose young population is much more diverse than its older one.

About 48 percent of newborns last year were members of minority groups, compared with just a fifth of those over 65, a statistic that raises questions about possible generational tensions for the United States in coming decades, particularly over the cost of education and health care, said Kenneth Johnson, senior demographer at the Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire. [Poorly constructed sentence but nevertheless...]
Quote:
In the last large immigration wave, in the late 19th century, immigrants took several generations to assimilate into American society through education. But the United States cannot afford to wait that long as its declining economy struggles to compete with developing countries like China, said Marcelo M. Suárez-Orozco, co-director of an immigration research center at New York University.
Quote:
The data also showed an increasingly pinched middle class. Median income declined by almost 5 percent in the past decade, with a few exceptions, including Maryland, Rhode Island and Wyoming. The deterioration was worse in counties dependent on manufacturing, where income dropped by 9 percent.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My investments work so I don't need to.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
my brief discussion with some Dutch people when the Greeks were fomenting over their issues this summer showed me that they were horrified at a retirement earlier than age 65.
They may not have been a representative sample. Only 22% of Dutch 60/64-year-olds are in employment, which is half the figure for the US (source).
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #30

The philosophy of "work until you drop" is utterly incompatible with a society that has 16-17% real unemployment, especially when you add in rampant age discrimination in employment and hiring.

Isn't it better, if one is inclined, to jump off the hamster wheel when they can afford to do so, and provide a job opportunity for one of those 16-17% who need the job a lot more than they do?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote