Join Early Retirement Today

What about Huntsville, AL
Old 04-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What about Huntsville, AL

Huntsville has gotten a lot a good press lately, good business climate, "green" friendly, low cost of living, etc. Have any of you folks lived here or had any expereicne as to the real scoop, or is it just a lot of PR hype?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What about Huntsville, AL
Old 04-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Used to be a well kept secret when I lived there in the 70's for retired military and NASA types. But it's grown a lot since then.

Haven't been back since the late 90's to visit.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PR hype if you ask me. I have been 2x to visit a friend. Like any place there are a few nice spots but poor city planning is starting to catch up with them. Cost of living is low but I don't see where they would get any "green" friendly points. The economy is largely based on the defense industry. I would give a "C" for a grade.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Unlkess you're military, stay away.

I mean, Huntsville, Alabama
Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #5

Ask Grumpy, I think he lived there. I have been there a couple times, I expected it to be terrible, rural Alabama, but was surprised at how pleasant it was. It is still not a big place, but the people are friendly, the prices are cheap (compared to California) and it has most services you would want. Personally, I'd sooner go up towards Nashville. But Huntsville way exceeded my expectations.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Ask Grumpy, I think he lived there. I have been there a couple times, I expected it to be terrible, rural Alabama, but was surprised at how pleasant it was. It is still not a big place, but the people are friendly, the prices are cheap (compared to California) and it has most services you would want. Personally, I'd sooner go up towards Nashville. But Huntsville way exceeded my expectations.
Well, I didn't actually live there but I spent one week a month there for about three years on NASA business so I got to see the city and sorounding area alot. The housing prices compared to the D.C. area were rediculously low. I enjoyed the slower pace of the southern lifestyle. For the south, Huntsville was surprisingly cosmopolitan (good restaurants, shopping, recreation, etc.). I also enjoyed the lack of bad traffic compared to D.C. However, as a Jewish, northeast liberal I did not find the culture to be one where I would feel comfortable living.

Grumpy
Old 04-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You mean they didn't invite you to the Klan rallies?

I'm not comfortable with the idea of living that far south (South?), I'm probably overly stereotyping. DW loved North Carolina, near Duke University.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

* Daughter and her family live in Huntsville . They are crazy about the place and the schools.* Good housing, medical, recreation.* Lots of tech related with remnants of the Von Braun and other captured German scientists . I live in LA(lower Alabama) and warned her about moving to Huntsville cause I heard they had some liberals there.* But, you know kids never listen.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
You mean they didn't invite you to the Klan rallies?*

I'm not comfortable with the idea of living that far south (South?), I'm probably overly stereotyping.*
Yeah, I would say that is overly sterotyping.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guilty. I've never been to Alabama, so I shouldn't have said anything.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You know, at one point this weekend I went to get DW's pill and a glass of water to bring up to her in bed, and I looked into the jar and said, "I wonder if this packs an awesome buzz?". I resisted my curiosity.
Suuuure you did...

Quote:
I've never been to Alabama, so I shouldn't have said anything.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Suuuure you did...

Looks like a pretty strong case, but let's wait for the DNA results before we present it to the D. A.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

All my white trash relatives are from Arizona. Oh there I go again, but it's about myself this time, that's o.k., right? :
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #14

Somehow I missed this thread back in April, probably too busy doing tax returns.

I lived in Huntsville for 22 years (1982-2004) as a displaced Yankee from NW Pennsylvania. I was reluctant at first to take the jobÖ..always thought that Alabama was way too close minded, uneducated, and dirt poor. Whatever stereotypes you may have of the South, they donít apply well to Huntsville. It has the highest average education level and second highest per capita income level ( a rich suburb of Birmingham is number one) in all of Alabama. Predominantly a white-collar town. Very high tech area, prosperous, one week of winter a year, dirt-cheap property taxes (though they get you on the 8% sales tax), donít tax most pensions.

I think the population is about 170K, very cosmopolitan as many folks either moved there during the 60ís or are descended from those folks. Compared to most cities on the eastern seaboard, traffic flow is pretty good. Schools are mixed, excellent schools in south Huntsville, terrible in north Huntsville, good in nearby Madison, AL, so-so in the fast becoming not so rural county. South Huntsville schools beat the best in this area of PA.

Weather, while hot in summer, is not as uncomfortable as near the coast such as Washington or Richmond. Far enough away from the Gulf that the humidity is not bad. Iíd rather spend a summer in Huntsville than in DC, I often had to travel to DC for work. Think Nashville but with an even milder winter.

If it werenít for the need to move back to PA to take care of an elderly parent, I would have very happily remained there. Yes, I am a retired NASA engineer, not a rocket scientist but worked with them frequently, like Homer Hickam of the movie ďOctober SkyĒ

Now that Iím back in PA, I find that Huntsville was very progressive in comparison. Government here is very fragmented, regional planning and cooperation is non-existent.

I look back fondly to those days in Huntsville, but also have learned to appreciate what each area has to offer. Iíve found that as long as I stayed away from the hassle of big cities I've enjoyed every place my career took me.

RE2Boys

Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm guilty. I've never been to Alabama, so I shouldn't have said anything.
Yep. You lost your poker face with that post Laurence.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All my white trash
While we are on this topic, I am not too crazy about the term above. It is racist, pejorative, judgmental, downright ugly (applying the term trash to human beings) and everything else nasty that we would not tolerate for a moment if similarly directed at any other group. The moderators would be buzzing around the author like a swarm of hornets.

Once dumping on fat people has been outlawed, only working class southern whites will remain as the 'Feel free to have at 'em group". We should remember that these people are disproportionately dying in our Army and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. They didn't plan the war, vote for the war, or get business contracts from the war. They just fight it and die in it.

I know Laurence goes out of his way to have the right attitudes, and to be polite and inoffensive. I know he would never speak this way if it weren't so embedded in our PC culture that it is OK to hate and abuse this particular group. That he could speak this way is an illustration of what I mean, of how deeply accepted this prejudice is.

Who cares what trash thinks or feels? Can trash even think and feel?

I believe that the perceived right to hurt people comes from dehumanizing them, and I plan to resist the dehumanization of any group that I either am, will be, or may have been associated with. Most groups have figured out the importance of fighting slurs. They may seem harmless, but they alter what is seen as permissible in society.

Ha
Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Laurence's post was made six months ago and he apologized. Still, Ha's point is well stated and should apply on an ongoing basis as something for us all to keep in mind. No group should be demonized based on the region of the country where they reside, their religion or lack of religion, their race, their education or their economic status.......among other things.

Thanks for the reminder Ha.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Laurence's post was made six months ago and he apologized. Still, Ha's point is well stated and should apply on an ongoing basis as something for us all to keep in mind. No group should be demonized based on the region of the country where they reside, their religion or lack of religion, their race, their education or their economic status.......among other things.

Thanks for the reminder Ha.
If you add "their politics", that pretty much puts me out of business.

JG
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
They didn't ...vote for the war
I agree with everything you said Ha, except this. This administration and its war has been supported by the votes of Southern white males more than any other group, with the possible exception of some Rocky Mountain state males.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Once dumping on fat people has been outlawed, only working class southern whites will remain as the 'Feel free to have at 'em group". We should remember that these people are disproportionately dying in our Army and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. They didn't plan the war, vote for the war, or get business contracts from the war. They just fight it and die in it.
I don't disagree with your sentiments, but I'm not sure that working-class whites are a larger military population than African-Americans & Hispanics. I don't know how we can tell that they're disproportionately dying in the war, either. That'd be a heckuva training issue!

Especially in the Army infantry...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote