Join Early Retirement Today

What about unemployment insurance at semi retirement
Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What about unemployment insurance at semi retirement

I've thought alot about what FIRE would be 15+ years from now. I really am liking the thought of retiring earlier than expected, but working part time to cover most or all of my expenses for 5 or so years after retiring from the corporate grind. One idea would be to take on part time assignments, possibly up to 9 months a year (covering mat leaves for example) and then go on employment insurance until that runs out. Many trades people up here in Canada do exactly that. Work enough to get EI covereage, get "laid off" and then go back to work when the EI coverage runs out. Is anyone doing something like this at the moment? EI in Canada is about 1600 per month maximum and to get that you need to make about $40,000 per year in your last job. I could easily live on 1600 per month today....
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What about unemployment insurance at semi retirement
Old 05-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Re: What about unemployment insurance at semi retirement

I'm not sure how unemployment insurance works in Canada, but I don't think your plan would work in the US. Unless you are in construction or some other seasonal or cyclical job, it would be difficult to collect. If getting "laid off" means quiting, the company can, and probably will challenge your claim and you could be denied. You mention "corporate grind" which leads me to believe that the company does not normally lay off people on a seasonal basis. Unemployment Insurance rates for employers are based on how many claims are processed. Any company under the maximum rate, would likely fight any claims that would raise their rates. Again, this is how it works in the US.

Good Luck,
ronc
ron244 is offline   Reply With Quote