Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is the latest retirement age that qualifies as early retirement?
younger than 50 24 17.91%
50 11 8.21%
55 41 30.60%
60 30 22.39%
62 23 17.16%
65 3 2.24%
67 1 0.75%
older than 67 1 0.75%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What age constitutes retiring early?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Early matters because there are specific issues of importance to early retirees. For example:

--potentially a very long period where assets must last
--reduced SS benefits
--insurance issues
--issues resulting from going against the norm

But nevertheless, early or not, retired or not, a wide variety of people can get a lot out of this forum.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Early matters because there are specific issues of importance to early retirees. For example:

--reduced SS benefits
--insurance issues

But nevertheless, early or not, retired or not, a wide variety of people can get a lot out of this forum.
Very much agree. For me, the most interesting scenarios to read about and follow on the forum are those involving folks who are retiring pre-50, will have no pension, no employee health benefits and no future life rings such as inheritances, etc. Even though I didn't make ER until my late 50's, I share some of their issues and benefit from discussions regarding the solutions.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

--reduced SS benefits
--insurance issues

Each of these issues is only part of a larger, general retirement issue.

Potentially very long retirement period - Beyond about 40 years it makes no difference. SWRs are approximately fixed for retirements this long or longer. If this is the gate, then anything prior to about age 70 should be considered early retirement.

Reduced SS benefits - This is simply part of the overall cash flow planning for any retiree. Many retirees have reduced or no social security benefits for various reasons other than their age at retirement. Amassing enough net worth and/or retirement cash flow to last for 30+ years is different for everyone. Some have pensions that cover it all. Some expect no annuity style benefits in retirement and do it all with investments. Everyone is unique regardless of age. . .

Insurance issues - We all have those. They are different for everyone but there are similarities that can help us make decisions. In some cases, later retirement can make this problem less difficult, but not for everyone.

Issues resulting from going against the norm - Surely nobody on this board would fall into that category. Actually, this is the one area that may be the most unique for "early" retirees. Although I imagine that anyone who looks younger than mid-60's or is still physically and mentally vital probably faces the same attitudes regardless of their actual age.

I really didn't mean to be critical of the poll or of any particular answer. And I didn't mean to offend anyone. I use smilies ( ) in virtually every post so that no one will feel the need to take me seriously. It doesn't always work.

This does seem to me to be a relatively unimportant question and one that has no set answer. I know that we have had retirees (who retired at age 65+) post very useful information on this board. I would hate for them to feel shunned because of their age at retirement.

I "mostly" retired at age 49 and tapered down from 25% time to virtually nothing over the next couple of years. I also wrote one book and compiled and edited another in that timeframe. I may continue to write and edit. I still go to 3 or 4 professional conferences a year wearing a company's name on my badge in exchange for expenses and one day of debriefing in their offices. My DW and I will be in Munich next week as part of this deal. So maybe I'm still not retired. Or maybe it's not "early" since I am already over 50.

Some folks on this board retired but have a working spouse. DW and I did this for awhile and found that a working spouse implied certain constraints and responsibilities for the non-working spouse too. It's not a bad lifestyle, but it's also not nearly as much freedom as when we both stopped working. So maybe these people aren't retired either. And some of them are in their 60's. So maybe they are too old to be "early retirees".

We've had some posters who retired pre-50 and did not like it. They returned to full- or part-time work in order to amuse themselves. Some of them changed careers in the process. Maybe they are not retired or are not "early".

Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I tend to think of ER as a lifestyle choice. Leaving by choice rather than when someone boots you out with the gold watch. Both father and FIL worked until 65 and then retired because that was the way it was. Neither had much financial savvy. And neither really needed much.

I can still work and make big dollars but I choose to enjoy a prolonged retirement.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
This does seem to me to be a relatively unimportant question and one that has no set answer.
I disagree, and I think you will find that most members of this board also disagree with this statement. The primary theme and focus of discussion on this board is "early" retirement, as opposed to what most people do... work till they can't hardly work no more, and then retire out of necessity. You are correct that "early" retirement, and "normal" retirement do have a lot of issues in common. But, early retirement also involves issues that are distinct and merit discussion. Thus, the name of the forum is "early retirement forum."
Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
I disagree, and I think you will find that most members of this board also disagree with this statement. . . .

I hear you and you may be correct about what other posters think. I certainly did not intend to speak for others. Actually it is not rare for me to hold opinions that are not consistent with the majority, so it wouldn't be the first time that I represented a minority opinion. I sense that you care a great deal about what others think constitutes "early retirement". Please run as many polls as you think will help you with that. I will try to avoid making further comments or providing my own opinions to those questions. And I would like to encourage all other posters to help JustCurious out by providing an answer to this poll.

I just had a thought . . . perhaps your issue with me is more about my own form of retirement and/or retirement age as much as it is with my opinion on "early retirement". I can see how some might not consider me retired and some might consider 52 too old for "early retirement". This is just the choice I've made.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee

I sense that you care a great deal about what others think constitutes "early retirement". Please run as many polls as you think will help you with that. I will try to avoid making further comments or providing my own opinions to those questions. And I would like to encourage all other posters to help JustCurious out by providing an answer to this poll.

I just had a thought . . . perhaps your issue with me is more about my own form of retirement and/or retirement age as much as it is with my opinion on "early retirement". I can see how some might not consider me retired and some might consider 52 too old for "early retirement". This is just the choice I've made.
I don't "care a great deal", I am just curious what the consensus is on this issue.

Also, I don't have an "issue with you", I just happen to disagree with you on this point. Isn't that permitted on a discussion board without "having issues?"
Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I have an older brother who retired 24 years ago. At the time I could not understand how he could make that decision. Twenty years later I finally retired.

Now I have a much greater appreciation for the reasons why he made that choice. The biggest problem before retirement is fear about being outside of the norm. And being wrong!

PS the reason he made that choice is because in his opinion at the time: he could. And he was right.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to pay your dues?

oh you mean follow the crowd.