What %age of your household gross income do you save per year?

What %age of household gross income do you save per year? include pre & post tax

• 1-5%

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 6-10%

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 11-15%

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • 16-20%

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • 21-25%

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • 26-30%

Votes: 26 13.5%
  • 31-35%

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • 36-40%

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • 41%+

Votes: 73 38.0%

• Total voters

web_diva

Recycles dryer sheets
I thought it might be encouraging/motivating to do a poll on what percentage of household gross income you are able to save per year. Please weigh in?

A lot of folks on the forum are retired, and we generally don't save anymore. At most, we might allow some funds to accumulate for a one-off purchase or splurge - this being a short-term thing. But once retired, one usually doesn't save for retirement anymore.

A lot of folks on the forum are retired, and we generally don't save anymore. At most, we might allow some funds to accumulate for a one-off purchase or splurge - this being a short-term thing. But once retired, one usually doesn't save for retirement anymore.
+1

Since we no longer have an income and Green Stamps are history, we no longer save anything. :)

Still accumulating here. 25-30% for us.

I voted even though I'm retired now and don't save anymore. But when I was working we saved about 35%, between 401(k) and match and after tax savings. I never bought into that "save 10%" line. We actually spend more now (or at least DW does) than when we were working.

Last year we saved about 47% of our gross income (DW still works). We are on track to save 50%+ this year, but a move to a high cost of living area on the west coast in June means it will probably fall down to around 35% next year.

Last year we saved about 47% of our gross income (DW still works). We are on track to save 50%+ this year, but a move to a high cost of living area on the west coast in June means it will probably fall down to around 35% next year.

According to this BBC article, 3 of the 5 fittest cities are on the West Coast so maybe you can save your health instead of your $'s

The article reckons San Francisco, Portland and Seattle are great places to keep fit :) (along with Austin, TX, and Newport, RI)

This will be my last year of working full time (more or less) and the target is to save 50% (which we have done for the last several years).

When working we saved 15% of gross income (including bonuses) and all stock options. Now we're spending it instead of saving...

We are retired and not saving a thing. It's just a matter of how much we are going to spend.

10% 401K contribution with 6% company match. Additional 10% to 15% saving.

So between 26% to 30%

Last edited:
According to this BBC article, 3 of the 5 fittest cities are on the West Coast so maybe you can save your health instead of your $'s

The article reckons San Francisco, Portland and Seattle are great places to keep fit :) (along with Austin, TX, and Newport, RI)

Oh good! :)

This year I saved 65% of gross. I graduated college in 2008, and my expenses have not kept up with my income. However, I did give up on having roommates a couple years ago.

I don't feel I deprive myself. I own a nice car, and I don't regret buying the things I find important to me. The money I have left over, I save, because that buys me freedom and peace of mind.

Having said that, I'll probably have to scale back my saving when I get involved in a serious relationship. Most people my age aren't quite so frugal.

Last edited:
35% here:

$17k in 401(k) + Emp kicks in another $3,200 $5,000 in Roth
$1,000ish in savings

Even though I'm 38, still wish I had started sooner! Hoping to bump up retirement date to 2033 (2yrs sooner)

Could not answer. There is no choice for 0%. DH is retired and I'm semi-retired and so we are in the retirement withdrawal phase.... Now, obviously we hope that in some years (maybe even most years) our portfolio will appreciate more than we withdraw but I don't see that is "saving" exactly.

42% or so including company matching and some extra retirement stuff they add . Without it, only about 37%. Didn't vote. Doesn't seem to work on iPhone.

Last edited:
45% Roth 401K, 5% match, + 13% Roth IRA. We have been doing this rate for years.

More than 50% in my case.
web_diva said:
I thought it might be encouraging/motivating to do a poll on what percentage of household gross income you are able to save per year. Please weigh in?

This is our case as well, although DW insists she still saves a great deal - by buying things on sale.

When we were in the work phase our saving was never less than 15% and probably averaged 25% - 30%.

I'm saving roughly 40%. I hit the 36%-40% button.

We live on about 45% of my gross, save about 40% and the other 15% is taxes (income, SS & medicare). This year I stopped contributing to the company's SERP plan so I'm saving more after tax but I am also increasing my income taxes to do it. Last year I saved over 50% with 25% of my gross going into the SERP.

I do wonder why I'm saving or working at all. The stock market moves in a typical year several times more than what I save. My savings have very little impact on changing my net worth.

Last edited:
Before the move to WV at the peak we were saving 47% of gross, now we're saving ~60% of the net income from my current job. I do not participate in the 401k at work because the company's finances are a mess, they're currently in bankruptcy, and frankly I want my finances as far away from them as I can keep it.

Currently 51%. Includes maxing out 401, ira, hsa, and additional savings.

Back
Top Bottom