Join Early Retirement Today

What are the estate tax limits after 2012?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What are the estate tax limits after 2012?

Looking around the internet I see that the estate tax limit for 2012 is about 5M dollars. But things are not clear after 2012. Even the IRS web site seems unclear (maybe I missed something). Are future rates unknown at this time? Is Congress now setting the limit annually?

At 5M dollars the limit doesn't affect me but over the past few years the rate has varied from 1M, to 3M, to 5M dollars. In 2010 there was no limit at all (I believe). How do people plan their estates with the numbers jumping around like this?

Again my main question is, what are the estate tax limits for years after 2012?

thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless Congress changes something the estate tax exemption drops from about $5.13m in 2012 to $1m in 2013 and the tax rate increases from 35% to 55% on any amount over the exemption. My guess is that we end up somewhere between $5m and $1m with a tax closer to 35% than 55%.

Subsequent years would be likely indexed for inflation.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by km4hr View Post
Again my main question is, what are the estate tax limits for years after 2012?
No one knows because, well, Congress keeps kicking the can down the road and adopting short-term legislative patches to prevent it from reverting to $1M (which almost all on both sides think is too low, especially where family farms and small businesses are concerned).

If these guys could ever put their differences aside and come up with a reasonable compromise number, the usual range I hear is in the $3-5M range.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I don't understand why they can't just settle on a $5 million exemption, indexed for inflation, with a rate at the highest marginal income tax rate (currently 35%). Or something slightly different. None of the numbers are magic, but they all make more sense than leaving this ridiculous reverting to $1M/55% on the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
No one knows because, well, Congress keeps kicking the can down the road and adopting short-term legislative patches to prevent it from reverting to $1M (which almost all on both sides think is too low, especially where family farms and small businesses are concerned).

If these guys could ever put their differences aside and come up with a reasonable compromise number, the usual range I hear is in the $3-5M range.