Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We no longer have any change because we virtually never use cash.

When we did use cash, our daughter was always getting it--one way or another. Since we went all debit card, she's got no way of rifling our pockets, etc.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Filling a coffee can now. Filled two small plant buckets once then they were too heavy so gave them to a niece 525 in coins, she needed the money. Now when coffee can is full might give them to her son, he finishes college in the spring so could use some coins or I might dump them in a coin star and get Amazon cards.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quarters are the only useful coin so they go into the card for parking meters. The rest go into a can to make a Salvation Army bell ringer's day once every year.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

thank you all for the responses!

I'm bummed that there are no banks anywhere here that I know of that have coin sorters since TD bank pulled theirs.

I'm not excited about Coinstar with Amazon; I never shop for anything on there, i'm not even a shopper.

A pp got me thinking that I should stop using cash altogether. If dh wants coffee he needs to start using up that change. He's actually bringing the majority of it in.
Beachgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #25

I have quite a few coins in rolls but stopped doing that a couple of years ago and just put extra change in any available container. I think I will check with my credit union for a coin sorter to use and then donate the money to a local animal shelter now that I don't need to worry about eating the cat food myself.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I take accumulated change to Coinstar for iTunes credit.

They have several options.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I take accumulated change to Coinstar for iTunes credit.
Yep, that's what I do too.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #28

We have gotten so good playing the credit card points game that we rarely have any coins. What we do have goes in a jar and then to the bank which still offers counting for free.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Chase banks or at least some of them have coin sorter/counters. I saw a girl bring in a shopping bag (doubled or tripled up) that was 1/2 full of coins, and the teller put it through the machine in back.
It's not available for public use, but ask and they may have one in back.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

When home in Paradise, most change ends up feeding the parking meters at $.25/10 min. On the mainland, I just leave it in a small dish and DW takes it and spends it - she loves giving exact change. But, don't worry. She has it figured out just about as quickly as the cashier gets the final figure. No counting out pennies like the little old lady: uh ...one....two...three - oh dear, i've already lost count. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #31

TD has pulled its Coinstar machines in Canada as well and is being sued over the machines not being accurate... and not in a Monopoly sort of way.

6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Grocery stores now in my area had self checkout. I would periodically annoy checkout people by paying with lots of coins but self checkout computer just takes whatever I throw in. So any change I have goes in then you can pay for the rest of your transaction with credit. I love this split pay option.
You could shift a lot of coins this way over time. This solved the coin problem for me.
Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgrl View Post
Ugh since TD took the penny arcades away, what are you doing with your change? I have no patience to roll!!
What! No! I love the TD counters b/c if you have an account they are free. Coinstar charges some percentage.

Didn't know you could just cash it in by standing in line. Although that's not as much fun.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:57 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

What is this "coins" you speak of? LOL

I can remember wrapping and turning in a couple of quarter rolls a month. Don't think I've seen a quarter in a couple of years.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:17 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I throw it into a cup when I wash the pants and I load some into the pants before I go shopping. I just spend it.
+1. I just spend it

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 AM   #36

I sort the coins in wrappers and spend it as gas money.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Another +1 for coinstar - I usually put the money on a Starbucks card or Amazon - there are a lot of choices.

After it spits out the Canadian coins I pocket them and try to pawn them off a little at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I have a half filled 5 gal water bottle of change, one of these days I will lug it to the coin counter.

You will be surprised how much it will be worth... Last week I had to drag a 5 gallon bucket myself into the bank for my aging dad. They have a self serve coin counter there. The bucket was between half and 2/3's full and it was almost $850. Very heavy bucket, also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #39

I save mine in a tin but it takes me 8 years to fill it with the use of debit cards. Then I take it to the credit union.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #40

I've used Coinstar several times but don't like that they withhold a % cut.
Just took the last full jug to NFCU. They have a coin machine and it auto deposits to my account. The recent trip resulted in close to $300

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum