Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Neither did she.
The algos heard the speech, result: Does not compute
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

From my perspective (not retired) I don't feel like there has been a recovery since 2008. My salary is pretty much the same it was 7 years ago.

I would not be surprised if things get worse.

This feels very similar to what I imagined the Japanese had been going through with their never-ending recession.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Mrs. Yellen giving another speech...Yak, Yak, Yak. I think she reads the same speech over and over. And if she doesn't she should. If I was her I would just say, "Im not even going to bother to speak, as it is the same message I have said 100 times in a row."
If I had a dollar for every time she said "2% inflation goal" I would have so much money I would never have to worry about inflation again.
My TV is not turned on unless I want to watch some DVDs, so I am way out of touch with what is happening in the world. So, I have to believe what you say.

But eh, she is not doing it differently than most or all politicians do. You need to keep repeating the idea until it gets to the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
She is very brilliant. She speaks in such a monotone voice when she is done you don't even care what she said. You are just glad its over.
Ah, now that shows she's not a politician, or not an elected one anyway. For the latter job, you have to know to say the same thing over and over, but in different manners, with different gestures to keep listeners interested, energized. Sounds like Yellen is about as exciting as a bookkeeper.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My TV is not turned on unless I want to watch some DVDs, so I am way out of touch with what is happening in the world. So, I have to believe what you say.

But eh, she is not doing it differently than most or all politicians do. You need to keep repeating the idea until it gets to the people.

Ah, now that shows she's not a politician, or not an elected one anyway. For the latter job, you have to know to say the same thing over and over, but in different manners, with different gestures to keep listeners interested, energized. Sounds like Yeller is about as exciting as a bookkeeper.

I generally have CNBC on for background noise while I take 3 hours to motivate myself to do anything.... So I don't listen intently but when she speaks my ears always catch 2% and it is said over and over.
She seems like she would be a like able person. I feel sorry for her when the congressional nuts grill her just to grandstand. Doesn't faze her at all. If I was her being grilled, stations would broadcast on 7 second delay to beep out my french, and frequent offerings to settle these "differences" behind the building right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #45

The economy as a whole is down. When scrap metal prices tank you know there are issues...it means china isnt booming like it was. They buy all of our scrap. Even with the economy down people are still spending like mad. Try to go to a restaurant in any city. They're always packed.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #46

Not sure if the economy is doing good or bad but judging from the extremely high crowd levels at Disney World over the last few months apparently a lot of people are pretty confident about their financial situation.

That or they got a brand new credit card with a $10K limit.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #47

I guess it depends on where you look. Locally it seems to be chugging along but not great. Restaurant parking lots are full on evenings and weekends so somebody has money to spend. But the local mall is so deserted I don't know how they keep the lights on, let alone fund payrolls.

An article in today's news paper was gloom & doom on the state economy mostly because of so many coal mines closing in the southern half of the state. West Virginia is the only state in which more than half the adult population is unemployed.

Yet Proctor & Gamble is building a new manufacturing plant not far from here and the local community & technical college is gearing up to teach potential employees the technical skills they'll need to work there. I understand that P&G hasn't built a new plant since the 1970's so something is going well for them.

Depends on where you look.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #48

Did the REI #OptOutside on Black Friday. Hiked two peaks near Rainier and enjoyed blue skies, epic views and the fresh air.
Local economy here seems good. They are building large apartment complexes and some SF homes. Grocery stores and eateries seem busy too. Not sure about the malls or stores though.
The state of the economy per the news seems to fluctuate day by day based on job reports and the unemployment claim numbers....so who really knows. I keep an eye on the stock market, but not as much as I did a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Most importantly of all, humans are “pattern seeking primates” who perceive relationships where in
fact none exist. Ninety-five percent of what happens in finance is random noise, yet investors
constantly convince themselves that they see patterns in market activity
Emphasis added

- William J. Bernstein "If You Can"
Options is offline   Reply With Quote