What are your investing tasks?

I an indexer. I check my VG account weekly, mostly because we have been through identity theft in the past, and tend to be hyper-vigilant now. As the years have passed, I have become less rigid about rebalancing, but still make sure that things look close to my asset allocations every year or two.

• Contribute the max to the 401K. 40% large cap, 40% mid cap, 15% international, 5% company stock.
  • Contribute the max to my HSA. 75% S&P, 25% International.
  • Buy 50 shares of IVV every month.
  • Reinvest all dividends.
  • Manage my rentals...

That is what life will be after FIRE too.

Pretty much have the same routine when working and contributing, and now in transition (with fewer contributions). This takes about an hour each month.
- Have all accounts monitored through Vanguard
- At end of each month download the summary page
- Transfer the totals for each space (Roth, 401k, etc) to a monthly summary sheet (goes back 20+ years)
- Run a macro to update the investments AA sheet
- View the graphs, charts, calculations for purpose of deciding how much AA has drifted
- Determine if new contributions can re-balance, and make a decision on that

For in-laws I download more detailed information on a quarterly basis, and summarize that in tables and charts. Takes a few hours every quarter.

I do other investing tasks which might take a few hours each week. I usually read a daily summary of world markets. When I have money to deploy for in-laws, I'll perform evaluation of companies in anticipation of purchasing shares in the near-term.

Here's what I consider to be my important investing tasks:

- Review prior year spending and saving results each January. Focus on how I'm doing relative to my yearly savings goal. Look for some expense fat to cut, just like I have to do in my job.

- Review my asset allocation plan each January and re-balance to target allocation. I'm primarily an indexer, so I'm not focused on chasing fund performance.

- Track monthly savings and investment performance throughout the year.

- Analyze my numbers. The numbers are my savings goal for retirement, and a projected retirement withdrawal rate.

Back
Top Bottom