Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Wait for the dividends to hit my brokerage account, when it reaches $5K over estimated monthly expenses, add $4K to a lagging position; rinse, repeat.

ERTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #22
Yearly - remove spending money for the following year, and re-balance

Quarterly - nothing

Monthly - nothing

Daily (optional but enjoyed) -
(1) record how my investments are doing
(2) record dividends and so on
(3) check to see if I am still reasonably close to my planned asset allocation
(4) rebalance if necessary (it almost never is).

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Thanks all for your replies to my question. I'll retire in December so my financial and investing tasks are beginning to change. The big change, of course, is instead of contributing to retirement accounts, I'll be withdrawing funds. I've been tracking income and expenses for years in Quicken. I haven't had to budget before because we have always LBOM. Now I am creating a budget and will be looking at cash flow monthly. I moved my large 401(k) to Vanguard and all but two years of living expenses in Total Stock, Total Bond, Total Intl Stock and Total Intl Bond. The two years of living expenses is in laddered CDs in the brokerage account, with about two months additional in Prime MM. I'll be selling mutual fund shares on a quarterly basis (more or less) to continue buying CD's. Some expenses will be changing dramatically and I'll be watching those categories carefully. Energy - electricity and LP gas because we are paying off a lease on our Solar Tracker and purchasing a heat pump. I'm expecting to see both monthly electricity and LP gas costs decrease. Our Home Equity debt will increase but the amount we pay now will more than cover the required monthly minimum payment. My employer is currently paying 60% of my health insurance premium cost. I'll be picking up 100% and expect an 8-10% cost increase too. Current projection is my SWR will be in the 3.2-3.6% range without making any sacrifices in terms of dining out, travel, spending on adult children and grandchildren and other non-essentials. I'll be watching this board even more closely for furthering my financial education.
Retired 12/16/2015 at 60.
lem1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I've got a spreadsheet that pulls in prices and dividend amounts automatically (a little vba code) from yahoo.
It calculates my current balances and forecasts income for the next 18 months.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
I also have a spreadsheet that pulls in prices using Yahoo. But I don't know how you forecast income for the next 18 months doing this. Are you able to bring in dividends per share or something?

SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm still deep in the accumulation phase, but have a very methodical plan:

Monthly: update investment AA and deploy new money

Quarterly: assess any latent tax liability from stock option/RSU transactions and pay estimated taxes

Semi-annual: Update balance sheet and assess progress towards long term goals (college funding, FIRE assets, passive income growth)

Annual in Feb: Fund Charitable Account and make annual donations. Fund IRAs

Annual in March: Do the d*mn taxes

Annual in Dec: Establish following year budget & make deferred compensation/401K elections

Every 3 years: Assess long-term progress, new goals, necessary AA evolution

As desired: look at various balances, update FIRE models, smile

Total annual investment of hours: ~30-35/yr + the models/smiling time
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity.
krotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe
I an indexer. I check my VG account weekly, mostly because we have been through identity theft in the past, and tend to be hyper-vigilant now. As the years have passed, I have become less rigid about rebalancing, but still make sure that things look close to my asset allocations every year or two.
Beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
  • Contribute the max to the 401K. 40% large cap, 40% mid cap, 15% international, 5% company stock.
  • Contribute the max to my HSA. 75% S&P, 25% International.
  • Buy 50 shares of IVV every month.
  • Reinvest all dividends.
  • Manage my rentals...

That is what life will be after FIRE too.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Pretty much have the same routine when working and contributing, and now in transition (with fewer contributions). This takes about an hour each month.
- Have all accounts monitored through Vanguard
- At end of each month download the summary page
- Transfer the totals for each space (Roth, 401k, etc) to a monthly summary sheet (goes back 20+ years)
- Run a macro to update the investments AA sheet
- View the graphs, charts, calculations for purpose of deciding how much AA has drifted
- Determine if new contributions can re-balance, and make a decision on that

For in-laws I download more detailed information on a quarterly basis, and summarize that in tables and charts. Takes a few hours every quarter.

I do other investing tasks which might take a few hours each week. I usually read a daily summary of world markets. When I have money to deploy for in-laws, I'll perform evaluation of companies in anticipation of purchasing shares in the near-term.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
Every day I read some posts in the forum...
The best way to predict the future is to invent it. - Alan Kay
fishndad42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado
Here's what I consider to be my important investing tasks:

- Review prior year spending and saving results each January. Focus on how I'm doing relative to my yearly savings goal. Look for some expense fat to cut, just like I have to do in my job.

- Review my asset allocation plan each January and re-balance to target allocation. I'm primarily an indexer, so I'm not focused on chasing fund performance.

- Track monthly savings and investment performance throughout the year.

- Analyze my numbers. The numbers are my savings goal for retirement, and a projected retirement withdrawal rate.

Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote