Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What charities do people give to?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heck, I'm Jewish and I give my charity $$$ to the salvation army

I have not found another organization that puts it to such good use, with as low overhead as they do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #22

Quote:
What's the consensus on United Way as a broad based charity ??
i make united way contributions, but direct them to specific charities -- if i couldn't direct the $, i'd not contribute to united way.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We won a goat!!

I love Heifer.org. This a great sustainable model, and it's such a fun gift.

At the school where I'm teaching. we do a food drive every year. A couple of years ago we entered the kids work on the food drive in a competition with Heifer. We won and were able to donate a goat to a Peruvian family in the name of the school. It was a great experience for the kids.

Every year, for the holidays, I give gifts of bees or flocks of chickens in the names of my friends. I'm sure they hate me for it, but they've all got money. If they want an ipod they can get it them d*** selves!

devo

Old 04-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
Administrator

d:

I think the "direction" is a myth. My understanding of how it works is as follows (numbers just for example):

United Way has 50 participating charities. It collects $5 million in all. If the distribution formula is pro rata, each of the charities gets $100k. Suppose you give $5k and direct it to Charity #7. Charity #7 does not then get $105k. No, it still gets $100k -- your "directed" contribution simply displaces $5k of the "undirected" contributions that were allocated to Charity #7, which $5k is then reallocated to the other 49 charities.

So you are supporting ALL the United Way charities. The option to "direct" your contribution is only there to make you feel better, but it doesn't change this basic fact.

I respectfully submit that you should just give directly to the charities you like.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Over the years most of our gifts of money have been to the Salvation Army. In general we try to have firsthand experience with the organization before we give to it. Not long ago the Seattle PI ran a piece on a particularly bad charity.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...arities06.html

You really do need to do your homework. The article has a link to an organization that rates charities. However, they do not rate religious based charities such as the Salvation Army.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We believe in the work the Salvation Army does, and their low overhead is a major factor in why they get a large percentage of our contributions.

Other charities we contribute to are Humane Society and scholarship funds at our respective universities.

I think this year we will contribute to the The Nature Conservancy as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #27

I give to CARE and the Salvation Army. They are very efficient and more than 90% of the dollars go to the cause.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Clothes & household goods go to goodwill. Money goes to also out youth .For teenagers struggling with their sexuality.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

church
Nature Conservancy
Cousteau Society

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

- Salvation Army (I'm not religious, but this is a good charity. They help folks who really need it, and they are faster out of the blocks for big disasters than the Red Cross in many cases, and cetainly more efficient with the aid they provide. They did a really good job during Katrina)

- Boy Scouts: Ever since they were de-listed from the United Way I've given them something. No, I don't like everything about the organization, but I support their work overall.

- Accion International (Microfinance in poor countries)
Old 04-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #31

Quote:
So you are supporting ALL the United Way charities. The option to "direct" your contribution is only there to make you feel better, but it doesn't change this basic fact.
gumby:
thnx for the info.
d
Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My oldest grandson just turned 6 yo and is disabled due to cerebral palsey. It's been a challenge for him, my son and DIL, DW and myself and the extended family. We receive much help from the Easter Seals organization.

Little youbet III receives speech and occupational therapy. Since retiring last June, I'm the chauffer, picking him up from school and taking him to the local Easter Seals facility twice a week. I've really learned a lot and can say that I'm impressed with the services they deliver and the efficiency with which they deliver them. It's really a great organization.

Despite the name, there is no religious agenda I've ever noticed. The clients are racially diverse. Other parents and grandparents I've met seem to come from all walks of life.

If you're looking for a way to help disabled children, Easter Seals would be a good bet. Our local organization is at PO Box 7080, Villa Park, Ill. 60181, and their 2007 annual fund drive is just getting under way.

(I have no financial interest in this. Our family private pays for over 100 therapies a year because others need subsidies much more than we do. But many other children's families do need help paying for therapy and other services.)

Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course, like many of you, we give to local charities in areas in which we spend time, but when we plan our giving to national charities, we depend on the American Institute of Philanthopy and their research on charities to help us make decisions as to which charities will do the best job with our money.

The AIP website is www.charitywatch.org

Your donation to them for a membership (around $35) helps you decide which charities deserve your support. The AIP researches large number of charities and three times a year publishes a booklet they send you that rates each charity on various items, such as percent of money raised spent on program services, their costs to raise $100, salaries of officers, endowments and years of available assets available, etc. It makes it easy to see which charities benefit people and which seem to benefit their officers and overhead expenses.

Often in a given area, say cancer, there will be a number of different organizations, but when you look at the AIP tables, it is easy to see which ones make the best use of your money.

It is a great tool. They do good work. Hope this is helpful to some.

LooseChickens
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tuttle
Small world department. Our family farm was adjacent to Dan West's farm, who was the founder of the Heifer project. His wife was a grade school teacher in the local school. ...
John, I was wondering if you could give a bit more background on this. Heifer.org is our primary charity, I like the 'teach a person to fish' philosophy. But I'm a skeptic, and I wonder if it really is effective most of the time (I can't expect perfection).

I've done a fair amount of searching on the internet, and have not really found anything negative.

But I can't help but wonder - do they deliver the animals and the next day the local bad guys steal them all, etc, etc. I *want* to believe my modest donations are doing some good, but it keeps nagging me. Can you offer any encouragement?

-ERD50

PS- my understanding of United Way is the same as some others. They claim they are 85% efficient, but all they do is distribute the funds to other charities (and keep 15 cents of every dollar to cover their costs). So your $ would go further if you contribute directly to the charity.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Local no-kill animal shelter
Local LGBT advocacy group
Local Planned Parenthood
Local feed the poor (House of Bread)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #36

Made a large contribution last year (and will again this year) to the Vanguard Donor-Advised Fund (vanguardcharitable.org) Once it grows for a few years, the main recipients will be (in order of amount)

local Catholic parish/Archdiocese
EWTN
local Catholic radio station
probably a mix of Sunshine Mission (local homeless shelter that serves meals and helps homeless men find work) and possibly Easter Seals (thanks youbet for letting me know about them ), and perhaps the annual "100 neediest cases" that the St. Louis Post-Dispatch publishes each year around early December.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
John, I was wondering if you could give a bit more background on this. Heifer.org is our primary charity, I like the 'teach a person to fish' philosophy. But I'm a skeptic, and I wonder if it really is effective most of the time (I can't expect perfection).

I've done a fair amount of searching on the internet, and have not really found anything negative.

But I can't help but wonder - do they deliver the animals and the next day the local bad guys steal them all, etc, etc. I *want* to believe my modest donations are doing some good, but it keeps nagging me. Can you offer any encouragement?
-ERD50
I really don't know more about the project then what I read. I don't think you will ever find much negative about Dan He was an older gray haired man and I was a small boy when I knew him. In the 1950's he and his wife had sponsored a DP family as we called them (Displaced Person) from Germany who were living in a second home on their farm. My parents speak Pennsylvania Dutch which is close enough to Low German that they could act as translators for the family.

I found this article on the web which I thought was interesting.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...id=chix-sphere

Wish I could help, but I really don't know anymore than you do about the present organization.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oxfam
Doctors without Borders
Mennonite Central Committee (they have a program where you can buy goats, chickens, school uniforms, etc. for people in Africa or Asia)
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

some years ago, we had a friend who was a large animal vet. She went several different times as a volunteer for stints in Africa for Heifer Project.......working with recipients of animals, dealing with medical problems, doing research for the program, etc. I don't think it's something where they just dump off some animals to folks and then they're on their own. At least when she was involved with them, they definitely had ongoing program work with the people who had the animals, I know.

They have a decent rating with American Institute of Philanthropy. They have a B rating, meet AIPs targets for cost of fund raising, percentage of donations used for program (as opposed to overhead), etc. 68-72% of their donations are used for programs, the AIP target is 60%. Their costs to raise 100% is 20-23 dollars, and the AIP target is less than 35, and their executive salaries seem in line.

Hope this helps.

LooseChickens

Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
We give monthly to the local Humane Society since we're both animal lovers. I'm a firm believer in helping the furry critters in the world

Other than that, we tend to drop a few bucks here and there to the Cancer society.
Oops...forgot that we also give money to our Catholic church