Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What charities do people give to?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster
What's the consensus on United Way as a broad based charity ??

They get some of my money.
I stopped giving money to the United Way through work after it was literally almost rammed down everyones throats to GIVE, GIVE, GIVE. As a result, I know a LOT of people who don't give to the United Way anymore as a result of the pushy tactics.

My company supports a charity dedicated to helping the homeless so I also give to that.

DH and I also sponsor a child in Sri Lanka through Christian Children's Fund of Canada.

Wow...I can't believe I forgot all of these charities.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:54 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Salvation Army is the biggest recipient of my donations. I think they do a fantastic job without ramming a religious message down the throat of beneficiaries.

I try and give to the local food bank, heart association and cancer research. Care is now off my list because I got so sick of them sending begging letters every week. Any organisation that turns around and uses my donation to hound me endlessly never gets another cent from me.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #43

I give to a variety of wildlife and national park conversation organizations. A few cancer societies. And the Smithsonian and National Zoo here in DC.

I donate "stuff" to the Salvation Army.

I donate my time to local animal organizations, a food bank, and several annual charitable events.

Karen
Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #44

Goodwill
local center for abused women
Alley Cat Allies (national organization that supports trap-neuter-release of feral cats and feral cat colony management instead of killing)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I give to charities that I can see, touch, work with, understand and want something from me other than just money.

I study the admin expenses and fund raising costs.

I think the whole charity game in this country is run to provide jobs for the administrators and protect their turf. So I am careful to make sure that the services are provided and something I want to continue in the few organizations I support.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't consider our parents as charities, but we give them money each month. What we have left is contributed to:

United Way (kind of a political thing at DH's job)
Local college music dept.
Salvation Army
Local Resale Shop
Local Food Bank
American Cancer Society
Humane Society

Old 04-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3

I study the admin expenses and fund raising costs.
Usually a good idea, but I think it can be misleading at times. IIRC, by some measures heifer.org does not look good 'on paper' using these metrics. But, that is because they use a significant amount of their $$ in training their workers, so that they can pass this training on to the people that get the animals. So, they might look like they spend a lot in 'overhead', but it may be a good long term investment, overall.

-ERD50
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #48

Stuff to
Goodwill
Salvation Army

Money
United Way - Work
American Cancer Society
American Heart Association
American Diabetes Association
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #49

We donate stuff to Goodwill and Salvation Army for the Thrift Store.

We have a payroll deduction for United Way (interesting to read all the posts about United Way).

We have never joined any religious groups so we have never had donations to a church, etc. Instead, years ago when we had a lot less money, I started donating blood. I still give blood 4 - 6 times a year.

We have a lot of local things we give to, High School band "Tag Day", hunger drives for the local Foodbank, donations to the pet rescue groups.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

http://www.aurashouse.com/index.html
Small donations that can make a big difference in someones life.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 AM   #51

I donate several hundred hours a year of my time to Habitat for Humanity, US Forest Service, City of Mesa and my neighborhood. I give blood regularly. I donate to local causes when one of my neighbors is collecting. I don't do a lot of sticking money in envelopes and mailing it.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
d:

I think the "direction" is a myth. My understanding of how it works is as follows (numbers just for example):

United Way has 50 participating charities. It collects $5 million in all. If the distribution formula is pro rata, each of the charities gets $100k. Suppose you give $5k and direct it to Charity #7. Charity #7 does not then get $105k. No, it still gets $100k -- your "directed" contribution simply displaces $5k of the "undirected" contributions that were allocated to Charity #7, which $5k is then reallocated to the other 49 charities.

So you are supporting ALL the United Way charities. The option to "direct" your contribution is only there to make you feel better, but it doesn't change this basic fact.

I respectfully submit that you should just give directly to the charities you like.
umm, i don't think every charity in the pool gets the money that way... we get united way funds and we only get what is directed to us - they take a % cut out for admin - i think between 8-12%.

in my personal opinion - i would just give directly too - i think united way works for people who do it through their workplace as a pretax benefit- and it's sort of an old-school thing...but now with the internet you can find and send money directly/quickly to your charity of choice.

also, as someone who works in a non-profit - please consider finding a charity or two and stick with it! that way you are really investing in the long-term...

it is a terrible ordeal every year to have to raise your annual budget every year - donors do tend to give for the long term - but just wanted to put that out there!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Usually a good idea, but I think it can be misleading at times. IIRC, by some measures heifer.org does not look good 'on paper' using these metrics. But, that is because they use a significant amount of their $$ in training their workers, so that they can pass this training on to the people that get the animals. So, they might look like they spend a lot in 'overhead', but it may be a good long term investment, overall.

-ERD50
i agree too - you don't want to give to charities who are abusing the non profit status - a-la magic johnson's early charity that was 80% overhead...yikes! but every organization has necessary administration costs - and some have higher than others.

also, the smaller -to- medium sized charities will have a higher percentage because their budgets are smaller - they still need one finance or HR person - but for only 10 or 20 employees, it's a higher percentage. whereas an organization with 100 employees can spread that cost out further (of course that finance or HR person is also likely doing 200 other things than what is in their job description!).

just because they are at 10-15% overhead or less does not necessarily mean they are doing a better job at whatever their mission is. See the overall picture - are they doing what they are supposed to? have they achieved positive changes for your cause? if you are satisfied with that and there is not abuse going on then i would consider giving to that cause...

Old 04-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #54

local public radio
local church
Adirondack Mountain Club
i university
Human Rights First (advocacy group)
Jesuit Refugee Service (relief organization)