What could you cut?

Not retired yet, but all this "cut" talk got me thinking and looking. Just cut $300/year of CC Annual fees for AMX Delta cards that NEVER give us any benefit... You either can't use the companion certificate without paying through the nose for the 1st ticket, and/or you don't get enough miles to use them. Use to be so much better program with Delta....

Yeah, I was a one (year) and done with that card. Find a $500 ticket on Delta, then change search to use companion ticket; viola! $500 ticket is magically ~$750. Free ticket, my ass. :mad:

The other modest "perk," club access for self; not a compelling interest.

About the OP topic... Can trim most everything but the wine budget. :LOL:

We recently thawed a frozen turkey that cost us $15 Cdn, (about $12 US); had about 5 meals from that, (with veggies/cranberry), rendered the carcass, made stew, another 5 meals....we'll finish the stew for lunch today and still have enough turkey left over for a couple sandwiches.

But...we enjoy/don't mind eating 'leftovers'...some people don't care to.

During Thanksgiving time when turkeys are 69 cents a pound I purchase and roast about 8 of them. Each one is about 12 lbs so they cost less than $10 each. After I roast them I debone and then freeze the frozen meat. I get about 3 or 4 dinners and a couple of lunches from each bird. Turkey is my favorite protein and it just gets my goat that a turkey I can buy for $8 the week of Thanksgiving costs $20 in January. Not much room for anything else in the freezer but there are normally enough loss leaders during the week that I can get by without needing a large amount of any other frozen protein.

I don't understand how anyone can eat (even for one person) for $193 or $125 per month. Even assuming that's just food and not paper and cleaning products that's $6.43 per day. Maybe you live on a farm and have access to chickens and vegetables without cost? If not, are you guys eating 3 meals a day of rice and beans?

(I don't mean this sarcastically. I am genuinely curious.)

Why the hate for rice and beans? :D

This week we've had imported Thai Jasmine rice, brown rice, refried beans, and garbanzo beans. But the main courses were more interesting! :)

So far this week I've cooked from scratch for every dinner. Monday was fajitas. Tuesday was butter "chicken" and tikka masala (hence the rice and garbanzo beans aka chana in Indian cuisine). Wednesday (tonight) was turkey burgers with slaw (leftover from a weekend thing), chili (homemade, from my freezer reheated), and the standard fixings of pickles, lettuce, fresh tomatoes, cheese, etc.

I shop the sales and get some good deals. Having a hypercompetitive local grocery market certainly helps supress prices. There's a SuperWalmart, Lidl, and Aldi basically at one intersection and they compete with cut rate pricing and good promotions. We skip Costco because it's rather expensive in comparison.

The fajita steak was on sale for about $2/lb. The protein for the butter chicken and tikka masala was actually a boneless pork loin I bought for $1.29/lb on sale. Tonight's turkey burgers were on sale for $1.50/lb this week. Tomatoes 0.79/lb.

Also snacked on greek yogurt ($1.69 for 32 oz this week) and oatmeal (about $0.10/serving) this week.

We have no problem eating leftovers so I usually make a double batch of whatever. Fajitas are now gone. Indian food - probably 8 servings left. Turkey burgers - made 16 and there's half that for a future family meal.

FYI we spend around $500/month solely on groceries for 5 of us but the kids usually eat school lunch during the school week (it's cheap and pretty decent plus they get free breakfasts which they take advantage of half the time).

We don't set out with a goal to slash our grocery spending to the bone and do okay in spite of buying plenty of pricier ingredients (ribs, salmon, shrimp, scallops, fresh tropical fruits, imported asian curries, spices, sauces, seasonings, etc).

Last edited:
The Great Philosopher TravelLover got me hooked on this site with his how to save comment back in'14:
LBYMs what do you save on?

"Rarely bathe. Drink Sterno straight from the can."

LBYMs what do you save on? - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Like I said. Love this thread.

First 12 years of ER beyond the levee in hurricane country, Sterno was too important to drink(always kept a 'case') and with no electricity(well pump) during a hurricane periodically was not prone to 'overbathe'.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom