Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our turkey is in the freezer awaiting the same fate. Turkey dinner. Turkey pie. Turkey soup. We get tired of it after a while so freeze and just freeze any of the pie of soup that remains.

We shake our heads at the cost of that terrible food in the fast food joints. Our idea of fast food is to buy a barbeque chicken at Costco, make a salad, and it's done. Or buy a salad as well at Costco.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #122
Confused about dryer sheets

Smart & Final has ready to eat cooked cheicken.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRHARDROCKCAFE View Post
Smart & Final
Sounds like a MENSA Funeral Home.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #124
Confused about dryer sheets

DW and I went down to 1 car 6 years ago, and we both work FT in different states - try pulling that off ... (full disclosure: I get to WFH often, it was the only way we could do it). It's often awfully frustrating, but has allowed us to pile the ' no car payment ' amount into ER savings
Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I don't understand how anyone can eat (even for one person) for $193 or $125 per month. Even assuming that's just food and not paper and cleaning products that's $6.43 per day. Maybe you live on a farm and have access to chickens and vegetables without cost? If not, are you guys eating 3 meals a day of rice and beans?

(I don't mean this sarcastically. I am genuinely curious.)
I don't know about other people, but changing where I grocery shop made the biggest difference. The prices at the warehouse and discount stores near us compared to the retail stores are often 50 - 80% less for the same items. I also stockpile the loss leaders from the retail stores.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Not retired yet, but all this "cut" talk got me thinking and looking. Just cut $300/year of CC Annual fees for AMX Delta cards that NEVER give us any benefit... You either can't use the companion certificate without paying through the nose for the 1st ticket, and/or you don't get enough miles to use them. Use to be so much better program with Delta....
Yeah, I was a one (year) and done with that card. Find a $500 ticket on Delta, then change search to use companion ticket; viola! $500 ticket is magically ~$750. Free ticket, my ass.

The other modest "perk," club access for self; not a compelling interest.

About the OP topic... Can trim most everything but the wine budget.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We recently thawed a frozen turkey that cost us $15 Cdn, (about $12 US); had about 5 meals from that, (with veggies/cranberry), rendered the carcass, made stew, another 5 meals....we'll finish the stew for lunch today and still have enough turkey left over for a couple sandwiches.

But...we enjoy/don't mind eating 'leftovers'...some people don't care to.
During Thanksgiving time when turkeys are 69 cents a pound I purchase and roast about 8 of them. Each one is about 12 lbs so they cost less than $10 each. After I roast them I debone and then freeze the frozen meat. I get about 3 or 4 dinners and a couple of lunches from each bird. Turkey is my favorite protein and it just gets my goat that a turkey I can buy for $8 the week of Thanksgiving costs $20 in January. Not much room for anything else in the freezer but there are normally enough loss leaders during the week that I can get by without needing a large amount of any other frozen protein.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Ironically, Danmar and I are looking for ways to increase our spending!
Me too! 🇨🇦
Old 01-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Me too! 🇨🇦
blow the dough.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I don't understand how anyone can eat (even for one person) for $193 or $125 per month. Even assuming that's just food and not paper and cleaning products that's $6.43 per day. Maybe you live on a farm and have access to chickens and vegetables without cost? If not, are you guys eating 3 meals a day of rice and beans?

(I don't mean this sarcastically. I am genuinely curious.)
Why the hate for rice and beans?

This week we've had imported Thai Jasmine rice, brown rice, refried beans, and garbanzo beans. But the main courses were more interesting!

So far this week I've cooked from scratch for every dinner. Monday was fajitas. Tuesday was butter "chicken" and tikka masala (hence the rice and garbanzo beans aka chana in Indian cuisine). Wednesday (tonight) was turkey burgers with slaw (leftover from a weekend thing), chili (homemade, from my freezer reheated), and the standard fixings of pickles, lettuce, fresh tomatoes, cheese, etc.

I shop the sales and get some good deals. Having a hypercompetitive local grocery market certainly helps supress prices. There's a SuperWalmart, Lidl, and Aldi basically at one intersection and they compete with cut rate pricing and good promotions. We skip Costco because it's rather expensive in comparison.

The fajita steak was on sale for about $2/lb. The protein for the butter chicken and tikka masala was actually a boneless pork loin I bought for $1.29/lb on sale. Tonight's turkey burgers were on sale for $1.50/lb this week. Tomatoes 0.79/lb.

Also snacked on greek yogurt ($1.69 for 32 oz this week) and oatmeal (about $0.10/serving) this week.

We have no problem eating leftovers so I usually make a double batch of whatever. Fajitas are now gone. Indian food - probably 8 servings left. Turkey burgers - made 16 and there's half that for a future family meal.

FYI we spend around $500/month solely on groceries for 5 of us but the kids usually eat school lunch during the school week (it's cheap and pretty decent plus they get free breakfasts which they take advantage of half the time).

We don't set out with a goal to slash our grocery spending to the bone and do okay in spite of buying plenty of pricier ingredients (ribs, salmon, shrimp, scallops, fresh tropical fruits, imported asian curries, spices, sauces, seasonings, etc).
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
blow the dough.
Yet the frugal habits are hard to break! We have made progress with dining out, transfers to heirs and charity giving but still do not throw out leftovers.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #132

The Great Philosopher TravelLover got me hooked on this site with his how to save comment back in'14:
LBYMs what do you save on?

"Rarely bathe. Drink Sterno straight from the can."

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru....php?p=1478169
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
The Great Philosopher TravelLover got me hooked on this site with his how to save comment back in'14:
LBYMs what do you save on?

"Rarely bathe. Drink Sterno straight from the can."

LBYMs what do you save on? - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Like I said. Love this thread.

First 12 years of ER beyond the levee in hurricane country, Sterno was too important to drink(always kept a 'case') and with no electricity(well pump) during a hurricane periodically was not prone to 'overbathe'.

heh heh heh -