Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

My private insurance premiums rose steadily with advancing age and eventually I could not afford the premium for my carrier's highest deductible plan. Rejection letters from other companies qualified me for the state high risk pool. That public option was partially funded by a tax on insurance companies. Some of the proposed 'ACA replacement' ideas would bring back state high risk pools.
zenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Age 50 -62. None. An up to date Passport and a really bad attitude. Leaving Louisiana post Katrina I found BCBS of Kansas City to be affordable.

heh heh heh - Also time in the market for my portfolio made the $168/mo cost affordable. My experience is NOT recommended for anyone else.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pre-existings for both my husband and I, so no private insurance would cover us.

In order to get some kind of coverage, my husband went back to school for a graduate degree in digital forensics. The combined tuition for an in-state university plus the cost of student health insurance for the two of us was about $8,000 a year....which was better than nothing.

We now have BCBS bronze from ACA for about $3200/yr and are happy with it.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in Mass, so we used cobra first (was a requirement) then switched to the Mass open market. That was fine. Mass had issues with their website the year ACA came out - we ended up on Medicaid because they could not process our application.

Now we are on ACA plan, but my FREE mammogram cost me $190 because the hospital sends their films to a provider in another state who does not take our insurance. I will have to search for a new location to do that this year.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I had cheaper insurance... It's since gone up and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I worked at a real estate office for years and as far as the insurance industry was concerned we only had 6 employees so there was no group plan. I had no coverage for a long time then got an individual plan.
I went to work at a small company with a group plan. When one principal's wife had cancer and another employee had a heart attack and surgery the rates went crazy.
I had cancer and surgery that ended my employment. I went on Cobra for the duration and new rules kicked in about then that allowed you to transition to a individual plan when you completed Cobra coverage. I kept that until the ACA kicked in and I got another plan. I'm grateful that I was able to get coverage. Haven't used it much after the really big deal but it will take the industry a lot of years to recoup what that one year cost them.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #47
gone traveling

I had insurance with my employer and union , I kept it after I retired , the spouse coverage ends when I die I took an option that she would get coverage for 3 years after I croak in lieu of a small lump some death benefit from the union.
I earned it is offline   Reply With Quote