Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
File an amendement and mail a check with the balance due, by April 15. 1099 misc goes on sch. c. you owe the fica taxes and any income tax that applies to the income
Aren't these forms suppose to be mailed by Jan 31st?

Now because of someone elses failure, I have to file an amendment? That doesn't seem right.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

John Doe & vlagirl,

make sure you take all the expenses you can on the schedule c or c-ez form. Mileage is a big one, you may also have other expenses that you incur to make that income...

Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post

Now because of someone elses failure, I have to file an amendment? That doesn't seem right.
One year, just after our CEO's accountant had submitted the CEO's tax return, we got word that some highly-compensated employees (HCEs) would get a corrective distribution from the 401(k) plan. It was hilarious that the CEO didn't know much about this, but had to have his accountant amend his tax return at a greater cost than the corrective distribution.

Needless to say, the 401(k) plan was adjusted a little bit so that would not happen again.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #84

I have learned many things. Here are a few.

1) In certain situations for capital gain (losses), it pays to use actual share values vs the average share values that the mutual fund companies routinely use. Should be a couple of grand difference for one fund that I liquidated.

2) You should keep your old returns for 7 years (or more).

3) If you have losses, you must use $3k per year even if you do not need to use them.

4) You can get an energy credit for the installation of a tin roof or a new gas furnace.

Free to canoe
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post

No, it's not fair.

One year I got a corrected 1099 that was mailed on April 16th!!!!!!

Some mutual fund had screwed up it's numbers.

So, yes, we had to file an amended return. We had just filed our taxes a few days before! Turbo-tax made the process pretty straightforward, fortunately.

Now we wait until pretty late March to start our taxes to be sure we don't get corrected 1099s, and we don't file (electronically) until pretty close to April 15. Didn't have that trouble last year, but for a few years before there always seemed to be some change.

Audrey
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #86

I learned that my state (CA) did not agree w/ Fed IRA deduction in 1982-86 when you could contribute 2K/yr for total/person of 10K in those yrs. If you were working and belonged to a retirement plan you could not take any CA deduction for IRA contributions. Thus CA IRA has potential of 10K basis so the first 10K that is distributed is not taxed by CA. I kind of knew that in the back of my mind but I wasn't relating a small Roth conversion to a distribution until quite late in the process. I don't know if any other states have the same issue. Learned that it can be valuable to have old tax returns.....real old ones......that proved that I had not taken state deductions in those yrs. Haven't found 5498s or bank statements that proved I had the IRAs yet though, only the tax returns that show I took a Fed deduction but not a CA one.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Learned that it can be valuable to have old tax returns.....real old ones......that proved that I had not taken state deductions in those yrs.
I've been saving a 1989 tax return to document a roll-over of cap gains from a condo sale into another home purchase.

By the time (in 20-40 years) that we use the return to establish the basis on the sale of our final home, the IRS will be at least two generations beyond the era when that law was in effect...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

WOW!!!!!

What I just learned is that my taxes are WAY down from when I was single... and from last year when I made more money....

Last tax year I had 1 3/4 income as I got severance and also a new job.. this tax year just one income... so... that real estate loss comes back.. the credits etc. kick in... I was hoping that I had enough withheld and would not have to pay much... but I am getting a BIG refund....

Got to get the withholding changed...
Old 03-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post

3) If you have losses, you must use $3k per year even if you do not need to use them.
Free to canoe
Note that although you must use the 3K every yr, it doesn't necessarily get consumed. There is some wksht you have to use to determine how much got consumed....apparently it can range from all to none depending on your income relative to deductions and exemptions.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned that despite reading a lot here and at Bogleheads I still have a lot to learn...

DW and I are in the accumulation phase and have a fairly simple tax return since we just DCA into a taxable account with index funds (after 401ks, IRAs, HSAs). Aside from an annual rebalancing we never sell anything, so no losses, wash sale rules, tax on 2nd homes, cap gains, etc to worry about. We just have to itemize common deductions and file.

Biggest thing for us to figure out (related to taxes) is if we should convert our non-deductible IRAs into Roths sometime this year. At the 28% bracket and planning to ER in the 15% bracket many years from now it's a bit fuzzy.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #91

I learned: My junior college student daughter had enough income last year so that ...we elected to have her claim herself so she could take advantage of the $2400 college tuition credit. Until now...we were not able to use the credit as it was phased out for us and she didn't have enough income to be able to use the credit.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #92

I learned that the tax advantages of passive ownership of rental real estate evaporate very quickly once your income crosses a not-so-high threshold. What a wonderful incentive to reduce your income and productivity. Well, they got their wish--I retired in February.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
File an amendement and mail a check with the balance due, by April 15. 1099 misc goes on sch. c. you owe the fica taxes and any income tax that applies to the income
Would I list the this amount under 'wages'? The amount is in box 7 on the 1099.

It was severance money from 2008. The company I worked for was paying me severance in 2008, then filed for bankruptcy and the payments stopped.

In 2009, they paid me the rest of what I was due for severance.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Got my final K-1 statement just the other day so finished my taxes this morning. No real surprises. Getting about $700 on federal plus another $1500 rebate for new energy efficient air/heat system. I do owe $275 to the state. Plan to review again tonight and efile the fed. Pay the state on the last day.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned that online filing via free fillable forms via IRS site is full of subtle problems if irs.gov link leads you to www.freefilefillableforms.org. But if it (seemingly randomly) gets you to www.freefilefillableforms.com instead, you might be in better shape. (I did not bother to fill out forms on .com version, but quick checks showed that at least the problems that I saw at the .org site are fixed on the .com site.)
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #96

I learned that forgetting a K-1 is a pain in the rear.

Filed about a week ago, got the K-1 in the mail on Friday. Now I think I have to amend both federal and state. Sigh.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I learned that for the next four years (unless the tax law changes) we don't have to pay a dime of federal taxes.

In a few years when we start taking money from retirement accounts it will be a whole different story....
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding this. You have to pay your taxes by Apr 15, but how is that relevant to the estimated taxes you paid? I understand how you don't have to pay estimated tax amounts greater than the tax you paid in the prior year, but don't see how that affects your situation. Are those things related in a way I'm unaware of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
T-Al,

I'm not confused (might be wrong tho). My interpretation of what Martha says
is:
1) paid no taxes for 2008
2) paid no est. taxes for 2009 (safe harbor based on 2008)
3) owes taxes this yr (I interpret as for tax yr 2009...in Apr 2010)
4) does not know how much to pay in Apr 2010....even if filing for
extension, must pay your best guess as to full amount (Martha used the word
estimated here but I think differently than when used in "estimated taxes" paid quarterly;

am I confused?
Yup. The problem is that if I guess too low on the amount of taxes to pay by April 15 I will pay a penalty. The fact that I did not pay estimated taxes is only loosely related in that I have to come up with a big check in the next couple of weeks as I have paid nothing towards 2009 taxes. Previously I always paid estimated taxes and the amount was high enough that I never had to pay any additional in by April 15th. Instead I always got a refund.

I did pay estimated state taxes for Arizona and Minnesota. The Arizona estimates will be about right but Minnesota is too low due to the large real estate transaction.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Someone remind me next year not to file my tax return until before April 1. Just received a correction of ordinary dividends and qualified dividends for 2009. Filed my tax return just a week ago because I got my final k-1 statement. What a headache for such a minor difference. Time for a med.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, it's not fair.

One year I got a corrected 1099 that was mailed on April 16th!!!!!!

Some mutual fund had screwed up it's numbers.

So, yes, we had to file an amended return. We had just filed our taxes a few days before! Turbo-tax made the process pretty straightforward, fortunately.

Now we wait until pretty late March to start our taxes to be sure we don't get corrected 1099s, and we don't file (electronically) until pretty close to April 15. Didn't have that trouble last year, but for a few years before there always seemed to be some change.

Audrey
I wait even longer than this. For a few years after I repatriated to the US I kept getting corrected W-2s through the summer. Now I often just file for an extension and top off my estimated payments and wait and file later in the summer.