Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
For those who are or soon will be FI&RE, what did you say when someone asked "what are you going to do" or "where are you going to work?"
My answer depended on who did the asking. Close friends and family already understood my reasons for early retirement. For casual acquaintances and co-workers, it's best to give a general answer that isn't disrespectful of their situation and/or choices. Something like "We're going to have our dream home built, spend more time with loved ones and take some time to relax. As far as work, I'll consider options once we've settled in."

Even if you currently have no intention of working again, it's always wise to keep your options open.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Aviator, you have your answers nicely spelled out in your first post here--you're moving to Michigan and will be so busy building a house and learning how to enjoy a different lifestyle that you won't have time to look for work.

I just say I have a wonderful life when people ask me what I'm up to re work; DH has several projects he's enjoying and like W2R above, he can talk so long about them and in such detail that the person asking the question will never ask him again.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Aviator,
Congrats.
We are still working - bummer. If we were ready and being asked, we would say that we are moving on to a life of freedom. That is, we will be free from having to get up early to make our coffee, lunch, fight traffic, and listen to others telling us what to do. There are millions of things to do:
- visit the library on a frequent basis
- take more hiking trips
- bike around the lakes
- work on the gardens
- take exercise, painting, drawing classes
- watch movies
- play tennis, golf
- enjoy sunrise and sunsets
- travel (obviously with moderation as it's expensive)
- listen to music
- meditate
- start a bake shop
Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #24

Aviator - thank you for your service and wish you all the best in your retirement.

I keep dreaming of the day when people ask me what I will be doing ..... I imagine my response as a great big grin and the words "no clue but I know I'm going to LOVE it !"
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you to everyone for your very kind words of appreciation and suggestions. You make me laugh Many of you are real close yourself...congratulations to you for making all the right moves to be FI&RE!

This site has been so helpful to me personally for the past few years as I approached this day. I've learned a lot.

What I find remarkable when talking to some of my contemporaries is that all they talk about is saving for a nice retirement and then when you tell them you're retiring, it's almost shocking to them. I've seen guys walking around the Pentagon in their 60s and 70s, who retired from active service and then continued working in some capacity. And I'm wondering to myself ...really? What are you waiting for? When you're on your death bed are you really going to be saying to yourself "I wished I had worked one more day?" Not me. Guess some folks, as was mentioned above, don't know what to do with their free time and maybe work for them is their enjoyment. IDK but I know it's not for me.

Thanks again my FIRE friends!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
I've seen guys walking around the Pentagon in their 60s and 70s, who retired from active service and then continued working in some capacity.
The reason is that they tie their identities to their jobs and titles.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What I find remarkable when talking to some of my contemporaries is that all they talk about is saving for a nice retirement and then when you tell them you're retiring, it's almost shocking to them. I've seen guys walking around the Pentagon in their 60s and 70s, who retired from active service and then continued working in some capacity. And I'm wondering to myself ...really? What are you waiting for? When you're on your death bed are you really going to be saying to yourself "I wished I had worked one more day?"
They're all saying "I wish I had a dog in the fight so that I could still be relevant!"

I think the further away from Washington DC you are, the less you see this attitude. Retired military friends live in Fairfax County surrounded by military, politicians, diplomats, and university professionals who will all one day be found slumped over their desks getting out one last missive to their troops.

None of them want to be seen "puttering" around their houses with lawnmowers, oil changes, paintbrushes, or cleaning supplies. They're all much too important to the national welfare to be wasted on such menial tasks.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been thinking about this thread a bit. I do wonder sometimes when people ask and I tell them I am retired if they just assume I lost my job and cannot get another one. I posted here earlier like I do not care what they might think but the fact that I consider the possibility probably does indicate something about my feelings about the issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
They're all saying "I wish I had a dog in the fight so that I could still be relevant!"

I think the further away from Washington DC you are, the less you see this attitude. Retired military friends live in Fairfax County surrounded by military, politicians, diplomats, and university professionals who will all one day be found slumped over their desks getting out one last missive to their troops.

None of them want to be seen "puttering" around their houses with lawnmowers, oil changes, paintbrushes, or cleaning supplies. They're all much too important to the national welfare to be wasted on such menial tasks.
Hey Nords, DH and I live in Fairfax County. We're surrounded by friends, family and many things we love. We're retired and are very happy here. It's not where you live. It's more about your state of mind.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I tell them the truth. I say that I'm going to be a money manager for a private investor -- me!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My answer is simple: I intend to take my pension check and spend most of it on booze and women. The rest I will probably waste. Nobody is perfect.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I have been thinking about this thread a bit. I do wonder sometimes when people ask and I tell them I am retired if they just assume I lost my job and cannot get another one. I posted here earlier like I do not care what they might think but the fact that I consider the possibility probably does indicate something about my feelings about the issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I joke about chronic unemployment once in a while, but the people who know me understand how I'm spending my time and can see that I'm employable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hey Nords, DH and I live in Fairfax County. We're surrounded by friends, family and many things we love. We're retired and are very happy here. It's not where you live. It's more about your state of mind.
If I give you the address of a couple of shipmates, can you set up their intervention? They're really feeling the pressure to keep working, and as far as I can tell they're getting sucked into the political/mover&shaker lifestyle. Their behavior has pretty much "suspended" our friendship.

One of the many reasons that my parents-in-law left Hawaii after five years and moved back to the Mainland was because they missed the Washington DC political scene. They used to get so upset with our local news and national broadcast channels for not giving "detailed coverage" of the issues. Today they're once again ensconced with the Washington Post and all their other political pundits, and happily complaining how the country is being driven to ruin.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #33

I agree with travelover. I tend not to discuss my personal life with people around me. In fact I realize that I have shared more information on this website over the last two years than with most people who know me
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You don't owe anyone an explanation. No, really - that is the notion that you need to understand. As long as you are financially independent, your life is your own. You are retiring, end of discussion.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

On all accounts, think you're spot-on. The longer I'm in this town, the more I see and feel what you have described. No thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On all accounts, think you're spot-on. The longer I'm in this town, the more I see and feel what you have described. No thanks!
If it feels wrong, move on! Wish you all the best Aviator. I sure understand the need to make a clean break. Look forward to hearing more from you as you make the move and transition into freedom. Speaking of free...

Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

My impression is that it is almost like they are still going to their high school and college reunions (class of 1950, in some cases!) and instead of proving how rich and successful they are (which was accomplished years ago), now they have to keep proving that everybody else is old or dead except them.

Amethyst

Quote:
Tmilitary, politicians, diplomats, and university professionals who will all one day be found slumped over their desks getting out one last missive to their troops.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My impression is that it is almost like they are still going to their high school and college reunions (class of 1950, in some cases!) and instead of proving how rich and successful they are (which was accomplished years ago), now they have to keep proving that everybody else is old or dead except them.

Amethyst
Yup.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think that's what alumni golf tournaments are for!

It's a poisonous environment. These shipmates are living in a huge house, working their butts off, chasing the weekend crowds & traffic for mass liberty, and basically spending every dollar they earn. Yet they've lived all over the world and hypothetically have enough familiarity with low-cost lifestyles to live that way if they chose.

BTW his pension is >$86K/year plus a COLA and $520/year for Tricare. And his spouse has her own employment income plus her own eventual pension. Heck, if they lived here on Oahu they could thrive off his pension income alone.

And part of my feeling is "There but for the grace of God go spouse & me..."