Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you hate most?
Lawyers 13 9.70%
Insurance companies 17 12.69%
medical profession 3 2.24%
politicians 58 43.28%
car dealers 15 11.19%
gas companies 4 2.99%
other 24 17.91%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What do you hate most?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
if other, tell us !
The airline companies - no other business in history (that I can think of)
has ever treated its customers with more open contempt.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio z
I cannot understand people who answered this poll by admitting to hatred of a class of people, in this case by profession. I am an attorney, and over the past 30+ years that I have practiced law I have seen many, many honorable people in the profession, and, alas, a few who were dishonorable. I would trust that this is the same in any profession.

To dislike or take issure with a particular action, whether you are the subject of the action or not, I can understand. If you do not believe that the McDonald's coffee spill/burn suit was fair--ok; if you do not believe that insurance companies in the Gulf Coast have been fair with Katrina victims--ok. But to hate a full class of people just for their profession, and for no other reason, speaks very poorly of the person doing the hating. '

Look in the mirror and figure out what that says about you.
Here's a good reason to hate lawyers. In Pa. there is such a thing as no-fault divorce. If both parties cannot come to an agreement as to the terms of the divorce, after 2 years, the judge will make all the decisions and the divorce is granted. What this means, is that there is no reason for the attorneys of each party to come to an agreement before the end of the 2 year period. They pretend to be working on behalf of each party, but in reality, they want it to go to the end of the 2 year period, so as to make as much money as possible. And they charge for every letter written, every phone call made, every meeting with the client,
every time they meet with the judge, every time they pick their nose and wipe their butt.
The system has been rigged for the attorneys to make as much money as possible.
Go ahead and blame the state legislature if you want for making this possible, but remember, 99% of them are attorneys.
So, Tio, hatred of attorney's is well founded, whether you like it or not.
It has become a very DISHONORABLE profession.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Killer rabbits.
You know they look all soft and cuddly. They lure you in with those cute eyes and then bam they go for the juggular.
Such small animals and such big teeth
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyrdpd
Killer rabbits.
You know they look all soft and cuddly. They lure you in with those cute eyes and then bam they go for the juggular.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #25

Alligators and/or crocodiles. Have you ever seen those wildlife documentaries where some cute animal is drinking from a mudhole and BAM an alligator/crocodile grabs them. Yuck, I can't stand them!

And those call center folks are pretty frustrating as well.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Killer rabbits.
May I suggest the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Killer rabbits.

No holy hand grenades please

How about we all agree to hate pimp lawyers that sell drugs?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't believe that no one here hates telephone soliciters. They are the only occupational group I hate although there are several I dislike.

Maybe they lumped them in with lawyers since here in Canada, lawyers are 'baristers and soliciters

Old 02-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #29

Quote:
How about we all agree to hate pimp lawyers that sell drugs?
... there you go, picking on lawyers again
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Well, when they're PIMP lawyers that sell DRUGS, you're good. I think even other lawyers diss those guys.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
I can't believe that no one here hates telephone soliciters. They are the only occupational group I hate although there are several I dislike.

Maybe they lumped them in with lawyers since here in Canada, lawyers are 'baristers and soliciters
Its funny but my wife and I were trying to remember the last time that we got a junk phone call. It has been at least a couple of years. All we get are calls from United Blood Services.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio z
I cannot understand people who answered this poll by admitting to hatred of a class of people, in this case by profession. I am an attorney, and over the past 30+ years that I have practiced law I have seen many, many honorable people in the profession, and, alas, a few who were dishonorable. I would trust that this is the same in any profession.
first I would say, that perhaps a little more sense of humour is called for here--the poll, I think, was intended to be fun and facetious. It's easy to "hate" lawyers as a class without disliking them individually.

However, I will give you a clue as to why your profession is distrusted. Same reason people fear guns--because when the other guy has one, you need one too or you will be the one to get hurt.

I remember a lawyer being interviewed on a national show. His comment: "an attorney moves to town and hangs out his shingle. Business is slow. Another one moves in. Business picks up."

There are useful functions that lawyers provide, and that are needed. But to a large but undetermined extent, the efforts of many lawyers produce nothing of value and, in fact, are effectively a tax on productive activities. Those of us that are engineers or doctors have particular reasons to distrusts the profession.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Termites.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #34

Well, I'll throw in my two cents and say that I don't like this poll, either and so I didn't vote.

I have been thinking of telling one of our local parking enforcement people thank you. I do not even particularly support what they do any more than others, but they are just doing their job.

They are the most disrespected, yelled at professionals out there. It is downright dangerous. I bet they would appreciate someone saying thank you.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #35

Too easy. I'll pass.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #36

Mostly I hate the majority of Voters in the U.S. - They are responsible for all of the Stupid laws and Politicians. Most do not understand the issues, do not know who their Congressman is, Nor their U.S. Senator. If they would educate themselves enough to keep the politicians honest we would not be running a Polyanna Government!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Mostly I hate the majority of Voters in the U.S. - They are responsible for all of the Stupid laws and Politicians. Most do not understand the issues, do not know who their Congressman is, Nor their U.S. Senator. If they would educate themselves enough to keep the politicians honest we would not be running a Polyanna Government!
Off subject, what happened to your fish icon and old post count? I haven't been on much lately so I must have missed something.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I can't believe "financial advisor" is not on the list.
I can't believe "nerd" is not on the list!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer

I didn't vote.
Me neither.

I guess I'll take the occasion, though, to say what REALLY bugs me is not any one profession, or interest group, or area, or sect, or religion, or any other group in the way we have of traditionally grouping people. What gets under my skin are two groups of people who share attributes that don't come from their skin color, or place of birth. The two groups are probably really the same, but I will leave distinct here:

* The self-absorbed among us who somehow have decided that their interests trump the rest of the world's. So we see the person who does not wait in traffic with everyone else, but drives on the shoulder, or shoots to the front of the que for the exit and wedges in just at the last moment, making everyone else do a brake-check...that lady doing make-up + cell phone + coffee + paper, while driving with her knees at 51 MPH in fast lane... the people in biz meetings who only come to hear themselves speak, but will not listen or draw out others...the politician lining his pockets..the mechanic padding his bill...the neighbor with neighborhood-rattling thumping bass in his car driveway for hours at a time...

* Those requiring external attention above all else -- Britney, Paris, Lohan, Anna, O/T Internet trolls, and all their similarly talentless little imitators (in attitude and world view, not talking some specific superficial style) that their lack of common decency (not talking about clothes or skin here, talking about the ugly inside) spawns.

Whew. Mini-rant over.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I voted "other" since there is nothing I hate more than hate polls.

Likewise.

I hate it when I'm on a fly-stream at first light, and notice after two or three casts that there is a small knot in the leader. Too cold and too lazy to change it out, and 15 minutes later hook a 2 or 3 pound Brown, and it snaps the leader.#%%@##.

Most of all, I hate it when I'm jacked up to play in a golf tournament, have a
6:30 A.M tee time, and a driving rain storm wakes me up at 4:30 A.M.#$%#

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm not too thrilled losing a bet to some Yahoo (Rewahoo) from Texas, and had to post the results for a month on this board.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote