Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Dental insurance for us would be ~$900/year as I recall. Luckily we don't have any significant dental issues so we have cleanings/checkups which cost us ~$500/year. Even when we had dental when I was working the benefits were not all that great so we self insure and take our chances.
When I retired, like you we self insured for dental. Dental insurance is a racket, I've taken three companies to self insurance on dental. Many dental providers will negotiate with you for services at their "preferred'' (read insured) rate.
Jaded salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

$386/month, family coverage for medical, dental, & vision thru University of California employee benefits from DW.

Megacorp's coverage sucks, so I have opted out for years and pocketed the otherwise premium deduction from my paycheck.

DW has enough years of service for us to continue UC coverage when she FIREs.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some people have wondered why I continue to enroll in a health insurance through my employer when the premiums that are deducted from my paycheck pre-tax seem so high, $1,691.00 per month for my spouse (57) and me (53) for Blue Shield PPO with a $500 deductible. They asked why don't I purchase health insurance on the open marketplace through the Affordable Care Act? In California, the ACA is known as Covered California. It is offered to those whose employer does not offer any health insurance. It is lower in cost because it is subsidized by other taxpayers(me!). And there are income limits. So I don't qualify for this. If I purchase health insurance outside of my employer, the premiums are paid with after-tax income. It comes out costlier, in my situation, but not enough to qualify me for any income tax deduction.

My other choices offered to me and my spouse are Blue Shield HMO for $2,266 a month, Kaiser HMO for $1,347 a month, and a Blue Shield High Deductible ($5,000? per person) with HSA for $1,146 a month.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I continue to work, and my earned income disqualifies me from the subsidies enjoyed by many.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Perhaps part of the problem is that I continue to work, and my earned income disqualifies me from the subsidies enjoyed by many.
Come over to the dark side. We have cookies (and ACA subsidies).
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Tempting, you devil you.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some people have wondered why I continue to enroll in a health insurance through my employer when the premiums that are deducted from my paycheck pre-tax seem so high, $1,691.00 per month for my spouse (57) and me (53) for Blue Shield PPO with a $500 deductible. They asked why don't I purchase health insurance on the open marketplace through the Affordable Care Act? In California, the ACA is known as Covered California. It is offered to those whose employer does not offer any health insurance. It is lower in cost because it is subsidized by other taxpayers(me!). And there are income limits. So I don't qualify for this. If I purchase health insurance outside of my employer, the premiums are paid with after-tax income. It comes out costlier, in my situation, but not enough to qualify me for any income tax deduction.

My other choices offered to me and my spouse are Blue Shield HMO for $2,266 a month, Kaiser HMO for $1,347 a month, and a Blue Shield High Deductible ($5,000? per person) with HSA for $1,146 a month.

It seems to me the HDHI policy is less costly if you are healthy. The HDHI policy would cost you $13,572 a year in premiums and assuming your marginal federal/state tax rate is 35% that would equate to $18,336 a year. Your employer policy costs you $20,292 a year. So you would save almost $2,000 a year in premium. If your medical costs are less than $2,500 a year you would be better off with the HDHI policy, if they are more than $2,500 a year then the employer policy is better. And if your total costs are more than 10% of your AGI you would get an itemized deduction benefit as well for the HDHI policy.

But to be honest, those costs are outrageous either way. I'd consider moving.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #108

Quote:

I do not have experience paying the full price of group insurance. I did not even know that all my prior employers subsidized my group insurance premium until I started to do research on ACA.

So, yours is a small private company?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It seems to me the HDHI policy is less costly if you are healthy. The HDHI policy would cost you $13,572 a year in premiums and assuming your marginal federal/state tax rate is 35% that would equate to $18,336 a year. Your employer policy costs you $20,292 a year. So you would save almost $2,000 a year in premium. If your medical costs are less than $2,500 a year you would be better off with the HDHI policy, if they are more than $2,500 a year then the employer policy is better. And if your total costs are more than 10% of your AGI you would get an itemized deduction benefit as well for the HDHI policy.

But to be honest, those costs are outrageous either way. I'd consider moving.
I posted my insurance cost because the OP appeared to wonder if anybody else paid anything near what he does. The HDHI policy with HSA works better for young workers with little health care needs. But with my spouse and I in our 50's, the need for annual visits to continue our prescription medications and the cancer screening tests (colonoscopies--mine are now every 3 years, breast biopsies, prostate cancer detection). minor lumps and bumps like ganglion cyst removals, inguinal hernia procedures, the HDHI policy involves more record-keeping hassle without much financial benefit. And I consider ourselves relatively healthy!

Marginal federal tax 33%, California marginal tax 11.3%, Medicare tax 7%, Medicare surcharge 0.9% (to pay for the ACA subsidy for others), and a few other taxes.

Joining the dark side sounds better every day.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I do not have experience paying the full price of group insurance. I did not even know that all my prior employers subsidized my group insurance premium until I started to do research on ACA.

So, yours is a small private company?
Yes, I estimate just under 200 employees.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #111

My wife and I are paying $1440 month. This includes limited dental and vision. It's our highest expense.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Joining the dark side sounds better every day.
Between starting our pensions, lower SS and income taxes, ACA subsidies, qualifying for financial aid for college, part-time work, etc. we have been able to live the same basic lifestyle except a lot more free time and only with working minimal hours from home. We also no longer have to save for retirement or need disability or life insurance. Plus we had a lot of extra expenses in our budget we were able to trim with more free time - like cooking more with whole foods from scratch, cutting our energy bills in half and time to now buy groceries and gas mainly from Costco or other local warehouse stores.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #113

Stanford retiree for 1: $322/month, no dental.

Stanford changed the rules on me several years ago prior to retirement, it would have been ZERO. I'm doing my part to keep Stanford wealthy.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #114

Still working - $270 / month + $110 spousal surcharge because spouse's employer offers health insurance. I am not sure how an employer can find out whether your spouse can be covered by another plan. Honesty, I presume, is prudent.