Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just finished this week a second floor renovation including a bathroom gut, carpeting, painting the second floor, and painting the exterior of our little old house. Perfectly awesome for us. Total spent: $57K. DIY percentage: 0%. Happiness percentage with contractors: 100%. Like W2R, I can now call this our dream house.

I'm so happy to read this! And $57K is peanuts, comparatively speaking, when you consider that you ended up with what is now, your Dream House.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I'm so happy to read this! And $57K is peanuts, comparatively speaking, when you consider that you ended up with what is now, your Dream House.
Yes! Five years ago we spent twice that on the first floor and now I just see it as $20K per year to this point. I am loving my house so much—we will hunker down this winter and enjoy it every minute.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
My hair looked sleeker when I blow dried it with the Dyson. As my hair has grown longer, my usual hair dryer causes it to tangle as I dry it. I have to turn the speed down to low to minimize this and even still it does tangle. The Dyson dried my hair without as much apparent heat or “wind” so it doesn’t do as much damage and my hair doesn’t knot up. The end result is straight, very soft, sleek-looking, thick & lush hair.

If you’re curious, order it from Dyson or Amazon and if you don’t see the value, return it. Maybe it would benefit you or maybe not, but you can try it risk-free.

Thank you for your explanation. I was just curious. My hair never gets tangled by the way. I don’t have fine hair. And naturally sleek, I guess. And heavy. I buy a blow dryer with the highest wattage and use the high setting and I’m done in less than five minutes. It’s nice that you found something that works for you.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ll be lucky if I blow dry my hair, too lazy. Thanks to swimming, I’m now naturally highlighted in light blonde color. My sister just asked me if I did anything special and I said none.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

I had my hair dried with a new Dyson at a salon yesterday. I thought about this thread so I asked the stylist why she bought it. She said although it weighs a lot, the weight is well distributed and her hand doesn’t get tired or in pain after using it on several clients a day unlike her previous dryers. She said she paid a little over $250 at a convention for a $400 list price appliance. She didn’t say anything about it being a better hair dryer though and my short thick hair didn’t feel any different. She did say Dyson replaced a colleague’s new dryer in two days when it broke after a month, which is either good (customer service) or bad (it broke in such a short time). I imagine it’s great for longer hair and certainly qualifies as a great way to splurge!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #246

I'm splurging on my cancer treatment. I will definitely hit the max out of pocket this year and next. It looks like prescription drugs do not count for out of pocket max so that adds some more on top of the max. So thankful I have a decent stash and have lived on less than I earned for many years.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Finally bought an entry-level robot vacuum (not a Roomba) with a Wi-Fi/remote. Everyone who has it says it broke in a few years, so I was on a fence for a long time, but with two adult cats now, I decided to splurge. It's been great so far. I just hope it lasts.

And oh, we're doing a kitchen reno.

These are things we don't need, but we wanted.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #248
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Style? I still wear double-breasted suits I had from more than 30 years ago. For a while, stores did not carry them, but maybe they are coming back in style now.
I have not worn a suit in 10 years, since before I retired. We downsized when retired and I went through all my clothes and had to decide what to do with my business clothes. I had a very expensive Nordstrom suit and I was reluctant to toss it so I asked Ms. 2x4 if I should keep it, perhaps for my funeral (I was joking actually). She opined that I should toss it. Actually I gave it to the Goodwill.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you for your explanation. I was just curious. My hair never gets tangled by the way. I don’t have fine hair. And naturally sleek, I guess. And heavy. I buy a blow dryer with the highest wattage and use the high setting and I’m done in less than five minutes. It’s nice that you found something that works for you.

Lucky you! My hair is very fine but also very thick. It tangles extremely easily. Very annoying. Hopefully the Dyson will help.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just finished this week a second floor renovation including a bathroom gut, carpeting, painting the second floor, and painting the exterior of our little old house. Perfectly awesome for us. Total spent: $57K. DIY percentage: 0%. Happiness percentage with contractors: 100%. Like W2R, I can now call this our dream house.

Good for you! I think it’s important to love your home. Remodeling is a great way to fall in love with it all over again.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #251
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What was so different about your hair with a Dyson? Did you style it? I personally don't do anything to my hair. My hair has less volume when I dry it naturally than when I blow dry it. I do not style my hair, I just put my head down and dry it while I move my fingers through my hair, and that's it. My hair is very straight and heavy (typical hair for a Japanese). I cannot imagine anything would happen to my hair with any blow dryer. When I go to a beauty salon, they dry my hair with a blow dryer, but the hairdresser uses some kind of curling brush, so my hair turns out looking differently, but that's because of the curling brush and not the hairdryer.

An inquiring mind wants to know
It is better heat, less damaging to your hair. Also, it will last 10x's longer than the cheap $30 one I have now.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #252
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
January, February, and March in Florida, out of the NY State Winter.

Next year,
I will be doing the same after my wife retires on May. It will my first winter not on the mid west since 1984.
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote