What do you splurge on

Inspired by earlier posts on this site, I stopped trying to reduce my spending on food & spend more on good quality, healthy food (seafood, fresh fruits, etc.). I don't consider this a splurge, but an investment in health.

I splurge on travel (& nice hotels) - spent a week at Rancho la Puerta earlier this year & loved it. Also on good, comfortable shoes (Ahnu, Taryn Rose). And nice underwear. :)

On the other hand, I live in NYC but rarely use taxis or ride shares, almost always use the subway - fast & cheap. I love taking the subway + Air Train to JFK, instead of paying $60+ for a taxi.

Bolded - Mine too, but they don't have it in FLA.:(
It is so much better with more complex flavors than any American wheat beer that I have tasted, although some of the German wheats are quite tasty.

I like Allagash White... almost as much as Hoegaarden.

So had the party with the live singer which cost 200. He sang a extra hour for free. I usually cook but bought all the food and liquor which cost another 200. So fun and plan to do it again next fall when my high school friends fly in.

Great to hear! Sounds like it was well worth it. [emoji322]

Why not large diameter PVC pipe like schedule 80?

https://formufit.com/pages/pvc-pipe-size-dimensions-chart

I did not consider the above, but the trouble with using expensive and big wires caused me to make a detailed calculation.

And I found the following power loss factors and wire cost with varying wire sizes.

12AWG - 2.88% - $104
10AWG - 1.80% - $162
8AWG - 1.13% - $279
6AWG - 0.72% - $414

And that power loss only occurs during peak solar array output, and the average loss is lower.

So, there's no need to splurge. In real life, quite often, good enough is enough.

PS. The above numbers are based on a particular type of solar panels that I have, and a particular way I am using them, and computed using copper resistance (not aluminum), and pricing as I can best obtained from sources which include Home Depot for the THWN wire type.

Is that enough caveat for ya'll? :)

Last edited:
Fresh flowers but only if they are on sale, good bakery treats, my dog (high maintenance poodle), little road trips out of town.
The biggest thing I splurge on is well...nothing! There is peace to having money in the bank and fewer possessions. It's a great state of mind and a great lifestyle.
I still even shop at Goodwill because it's fun!

Good wine for sure. A day without good wine is like a day without sunshine :)

I made the switch from Nissans to Bimmers in retirement. Didn't feel I really needed to go the M route, but my sport version 335xi with red leather and MT is pretty close.

I dont know Robbie. I bought the Masarati and fell in love. The most comfortable car I have ever owned. (And the fastest)

Yeah, I love the Quattroporte. The looks, the style, the power. I bought an Impala for 45 grand instead.

But the Masarati would have made me get another house and the Impala looks fine in front of my humble cookie cutter.

What happened to the old-fashioned and time-proven corn cobs?

Yeah, I love the Quattroporte. The looks, the style, the power. I bought an Impala for 45 grand instead.

But the Masarati would have made me get another house and the Impala looks fine in front of my humble cookie cutter.

Good point. DW made me buy the house before we got the Mozzy. But the Mozzy is the only other girl I'm in love with besides DW.

A buddy of mine bought the Levante. And it is nice but not as much as my Ghibli mostly because he got more of a base line model and ours has some options that we have learned to not live without. DW wanted the convertible Gran Tourismo but with DS only six years old we need a family cruiser. Well, a family cruiser that has 400 horses and tops out at 160mph!!!

I have splurged on hobbies I previously did not have time for including astronomy and its associated equipment, electronic design, woodworking and quad copter drones.

Lately bicycles and travel. I'm telling myself that the bikes are actually saving me money in the long run. So what if I've coughed up $7-8K on bikes/gear over the last couple of years - once I have the gear I've been entertaining myself just riding around for almost no cost. .

Yep - I'm well under a buck a mile now. Great way to stay in shape (resting HR under 50) and see some incredible places in a different way (latest was the 6700ft climb to the top of Mt. Evans. So amazingly beautiful on the way up.)

Today I splurged on 5 stars hotel for 2 stars budget. I hope it’s legit from trivago. It’s also cancellable. But I’m going to call the hotel to make sure.

On the weekends, I often set the coffee maker for 10 cups of great coffee to wake up to even though we will probably only drink 8. That night, as I clean up the kitchen, my Mr. Money Mustache brain scolds me when it’s time to pour out the two extra cups - but then my Thurston Howell III brain comes to my rescue and yells “SCREW IT!” and I dump the excess with confidence. So there.

Last edited:
Splurge

Traveling by train is a luxury I relish. I am just about to start on my plans to do a 3rd trans Canada Toronto-Vancouver crossing on VIA Rails flagship train "the Canadian" next February. Riding in a first class cabin, sleeping to the rocking cars, eating in the dining car, and interacting with the other passengers is just magic. My last trip in January had me arriving into Toronto (I went west-east) some 13 hours late due to freight traffic having the right of way over pasenger travel. I was thrilled to have more time on the train. I had planned ahead for such an occurance so it was no big deal.

Contemplating returning from Vancouver, BC by way of Amtraks "Empire Builder" going from Seattle to Chicago. That view from that railline covered in snow and ice is spectacular. Traversed that route in September 2016 riding in a "private varnish" observation car built for the Vanderbilt family in 1928. That is another story..

I recommend one of the following:

1. a swatch of burlap
2. #60 grit sandpaper
3. an old, dry pinecone

pick one!

Up Nort is was catalogs or corn cobs.
Now it comes with a label "another quality abrasive from 3M"

Just splurged on some pretty pricey dinners and theater tickets for "Hamilton" in Chicago this past week. No regrets......"Hamilton" was outstanding, and the dinners were pretty good also. I don't normally buy $40-$50 bottles of wine with dinner, but we did this time (several, over two dinners), and I only cringed a little bit, ha. Now we go back to our normal dinners at home for a while (which are just as good, sometimes better than any restaurant meal), less expensive wine, and cheaper forms of entertainment. It's all good.......

Well, you have to pay $40-50 in a restaurant to get a bottle that sells for $15 at Total Wine. But what can one do? Not drink?

Back
Top Bottom