What do you splurge on

Top shelf stuff at the dispensary!

Just kidding, as Texas, the state of rugged individualism and small, unobtrusive government, deems it illegal, and CO is not particularly convenient.

Atta boy! High flyer!

Well, you have to pay $40-50 in a restaurant to get a bottle that sells for $15 at Total Wine. But what can one do? Not drink?

Yep, that is correct. My daily drinking wine at home costs even less than that, and in my opinion, it is just about as good as the $40-$50 restaurant wine. I have always been amazed at the rip-off prices for wine at restaurants, but on (infrequent) occasions I splurge and order a bottle or two anyway, as I enjoy wine with my dinner.

Today I splurged on 5 stars hotel for 2 stars budget. I hope it’s legit from trivago. It’s also cancellable. But I’m going to call the hotel to make sure.

So I called this company that I booked this for and it’s legit. But another forced splurge on to of this is $30 a day of valet parking. Ouch!

Since I moved and split up a household in the process... I bought a lot of IKEA furniture and everything else I left behind. I don’t know if IKEA counts as a splurge! I also bought a lot of fun clothes. I have been ill and rarely cook right now but I have discovered the joys of instacart and uber food deliveries. It’s too tiring for me to grocery shop. Meanwhile I hid my jewelry so well I haven’t found it after a year + of looking.

I also pay for house cleaning, yard maintenance and anything else that needs doing.

Last edited:
I buy better toilet paper when I was in a hotel in UK. Small splurge but I just can’t stand these little pieces of paper.

Up Nort is was catalogs or corn cobs.
Now it comes with a label "another quality abrasive from 3M"

My dad, who grew up in a very rural part of Illinois, used to say their outhouse had two buckets of corn cobs, one white and one red.

You used a red one, then a white one to see if you needed another red one.

Personally, I think he really used pages from the Sears catalog, but who knows?

I forgot to add one...

CHOCOLATE! It's my vise...second only to ICE CREAM!

Bakers Square Chocolate European Truffle Pie to be exact. When that pie is in season, I spend 100s on Pies lol.

Anything Reese's. But of course, in moderation!

Since I moved and split up a household in the process... I bought a lot of IKEA furniture and everything else I left behind. I don’t know if IKEA counts as a splurge! I also bought a lot of fun clothes. I have been ill and rarely cook right now but I have discovered the joys of instacart and uber food deliveries. It’s too tiring for me to grocery shop. Meanwhile I hid my jewelry so well I haven’t found it after a year + of looking.

I also pay for house cleaning, yard maintenance and anything else that needs doing.

Hope you feel better soon, and welcome.

Well, you have to pay $40-50 in a restaurant to get a bottle that sells for $15 at Total Wine. But what can one do? Not drink?

EXACTLY. Although for me it's usually beer or scotch, and although sometimes I can bring myself to pay through the nose for the same thing I can drink at home for much less, a lot of times I gravitate towards cocktails, because at least then I feel like I'm paying to have someone prepare something nice for me that I might not think to have at home.

The next time the Collings Foundation comes out to my local airport, I am booking 2 flights in a P-40. One for me, and one for my copilot, who has limited income. It will be a real treat for him.

Hope you feel better soon, and welcome.

Thanks! I have chronic fatigue syndrome and it probably will never go away completely. I’m better than I was. It’s just something I manage. Luckily I do have enough $ to get help. I watch TV movies and watch my investments, not too closely. I am really happy. I’m back where I want to be, geographically. I’m still unpacking, due to the fatigue.

I was on this forum some years ago as Thinker25, I believe. Now I’m checking it out again. I think it was before I retired 8 years ago.

My passion is ocean sports - surfing, windsurfing, paddling. We moved to Hawaii to be able to do all that year around, which I guess is one splurge. But I buy a new board every year (at $2500 each) which is the other splurge. I figure I only have five more good years of this so getting it while I can. Oh yeah, we mostly fly biz class. And I like Knob Creek bourbon.

My passion is ocean sports - surfing, windsurfing, paddling. We moved to Hawaii to be able to do all that year around, which I guess is one splurge. But I buy a new board every year (at $2500 each) which is the other splurge. I figure I only have five more good years of this so getting it while I can. Oh yeah, we mostly fly biz class. And I like Knob Creek bourbon.

My husband windsurfing in Hawaii last year. Not too bad for a guy at 66 who has not windsurfing regularly. He finally got his sea leg and was zooming as fast as he could. But I think we are either selling his windsurfing board here or give it away. We will rent in Hawaii.

I love reading these. Unfortunately I splurged for years so now I'm in the process of cutting this stuff out.

Over the last several years, I have taken advantage of the discount at Mr.Buffet’s furniture store, during his annual meeting. I’ve tried to buy furniture looking towards my future years and the possibility of down sizing. Travel is my second splurge.

The next time the Collings Foundation comes out to my local airport, I am booking 2 flights in a P-40. One for me, and one for my copilot, who has limited income. It will be a real treat for him.

Several years ago I did splurge on a ride on their B-17 "Nine-O-Nine". $450 for a 30-minute ride but that was an item on my bucket list.

Idly looking at a tire, I asked one of the crew "Where do you find brake shoes for an airplane that hasn't been made for 70 years?" Turns out they'd had a "barn find" and had several pallets of them. The executor of an estate found them, knew their value to restorers, called up and said "If you want 'em come and get 'em".

Why anyone would keep pallets of B-17 brake shoes is a mystery, but I guess it may be evidence that everyone has a purpose.

Back to splurging...

I splurged on stock shares.

I might just have to splurge on the new dyson hair dryer/styler....

I might just have to splurge on the new dyson hair dryer/styler....

I just tried it when we were staying with friends and I borrowed hers. It is amazing! We are definitely getting one.

We splurge on larger oceanfront with kitchen suite hotel rooms or rentals, with a direct walk to the beach, when we take a beach vacation.

Back
Top Bottom