Federal Subscriber line charge 6.50
extended area service 1.00
Federal Excise tax .69
Texas State Tax 1.45
Texas Universal Service .52
Federal Universal Service 1.13

Total 25.69
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zero. When we downsized last year, we told them we just wanted internet and cable. They said we could have the land line for free.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, for those still in dsl--this is off topic but I thought I'd mention we just cancelled the AT&T service at home in favor of a Verizon mifi device that works absolutely perfectly! Very happy to drop the now $30 cost of the dsl line. And we live pretty far out in the country but it seems to have great reception and faster Internet.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Oh, for those still in dsl--this is off topic but I thought I'd mention we just cancelled the AT&T service at home in favor of a Verizon mifi device that works absolutely perfectly! Very happy to drop the now $30 cost of the dsl line. And we live pretty far out in the country but it seems to have great reception and faster Internet.
Hi Sarah thanks for the tip. What is the download/upload speed for mifi and how many devices can connect to it? I'm planning ahead for when my 2yr contract with Verizon FIOS expires in May 2014. Currently, I'm paying $66.- for a bundled FIOS Internet and home tel line which I don't really need. How much do you pay for Verizon mifi?

rec7, for my house in AZ, I pay $24 for basic tel line only.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Zero. When we downsized last year, we told them we just wanted internet and cable. They said we could have the land line for free.
Does that include the Federal Subscriber charge and the various universal service fees and 911 fees?
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #26

In Southern Virginia, base rate is $39.99. It would be $59.99 but I call them every year and ask for the Customer Retention department, threaten to leave and they give me another year's promotion. Taxes and fees add another almost $5.00.

I've considered dropping it many times but I like having a remote phone in every room and don't like always talking on my cell.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Including all the taxes and fees, I pay about $27 per month. I have no long-distance service on it because Verizon began charging $1.50 per month about 6 years ago even if you did not make any LD calls. So I got rid of it. I have no cell phone, either, so I can't make any LD calls at all, no big deal. I make some local calls which amount to about $3 more per month and I have Verizon's basic DSL which is added separately to the bill, $25 per month.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Behappy, it is advertised as being able to connect up to 10 devices. My down the street neighbors did a speed test and found it way faster than the satellite Internet they were paying $70 a month for. We are in a weird place, out in the country, so speeds and coverage are not especially great. But it is fast enough for me. What you might be able to do is try it out a couple of days and see if it will work in your situation.

And the pricing...does it ever make sense? I got quoted a price of $125 a month for a smart phone and mifi package for this item, but wound up adding both to an existing plan. When added, the bigger plan actually dropped in price. So I can't even tell you what it costs. But I don't pay for that plan, so all the better!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post
Hi Sarah thanks for the tip. What is the download/upload speed for mifi and how many devices can connect to it? I'm planning ahead for when my 2yr contract with Verizon FIOS expires in May 2014. Currently, I'm paying $66.- for a bundled FIOS Internet and home tel line which I don't really need. How much do you pay for Verizon mifi?

rec7, for my house in AZ, I pay $24 for basic tel line only.

Not only that, but how much data can you get at that speed

My DW complains about our DSL and the speed fluxuates all the time.... when she watches video, there are times it works and other times it is buffering all the time.... she does not like it....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
In Southern Virginia, base rate is $39.99. It would be $59.99 but I call them every year and ask for the Customer Retention department, threaten to leave and they give me another year's promotion. Taxes and fees add another almost $5.00.
I'm surprised by this. I'm in central VA, and ours is $28 including all taxes, but not long distance.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in WI. We have TDS and pay $37 after taxes and fees. This includes unlimited long distance.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #32

Use Cell F&F for past 7 years on DD Acct Cost is $120 a year and includes long distance roaming VM and Texting. Back in 06 we paid about $35 a month.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

It was never less than $31/month when we dropped it more than 5 years ago. No idea what it would cost today, or even if it's more or less...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not only that, but how much data can you get at that speed

My DW complains about our DSL and the speed fluxuates all the time.... when she watches video, there are times it works and other times it is buffering all the time.... she does not like it....
If I figure out how to test it, I'll let you know. But I imagine it varies a lot, based on the service available where you are. I know that the DSL was always buffering, falling off, and going offline. So far, the mifi dealie has held up for Skyping, videos, and basic web surfing really well. We don't do any long streaming stuff, but I think it is great compared to the dsl, at least out here in the woods. Maybe ask a local Verizon or whoever dealer what speeds you can expect at your location?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My cost seems to be the highest...

Total phone and DSL with all fees is about $89... both are about the same...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #36

For testing your connection speed you can use this link Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

On DSL one thing to check is make sure filters are installed on everything connected to the phone line EXCEPT the DSL modem. Check the lights on the modem, see if it actually dropping the connection. Sometimes the modems just get flaky and need to be replaced. If you a have a router/switch between the modem and your lan, try connecting directly to modem with a pc to verify it is not something in your lan.

This site has some more test, Traceroute, Ping, Domain Name Server (DNS) Lookup, WHOIS

Run the trace test to look for any hops that are causing delays. I have seen ATT buffering things intentionally. With uverse I found they block the standard outgoing email port. You have to change your email to a different outgoing port.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #37

We're not big phone users so when we had a landline I always had "limited service" which was 30 outgoing local calls a month (small charge per call after that) and unlimited incoming calls. Most people don't know that you can get that, but if you ask, it's available. It was around $27/mo including all the taxes and fees. We had some low cost long distance service on top of that, like $5/mo.

We had Vonage for a few years but even the basic package for Vonage got to be near $27/mo so we dropped that and got a Magicjack which has been just fine. I don't think I'd ever need to go back to a landline.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I'm surprised by this. I'm in central VA, and ours is $28 including all taxes, but not long distance.
Update. After looking at my bill to answer this thread I noticed my Verizon promotion was going away next month so base cost for just the landline is going from 39.99 to $59.99 without the taxes.

Called them. They will not restate the promotion even after going to the customer retention department. My cost was going up to over $65/mth just for the land line.

Immediately called Charter cable to bundle my phone with them. Already have their internet and T.V.

Had resisted bundling until now due to wanting some leverage to continue to get promotions but that doesn't seem to be working any longer.

Cost to add the landline? $19.99 a month which includes local, long distance and "some" international calling. No extra taxes.

So for all three ( T.V., Internet and phone) I'll be paying $137/mth.

Will be installed next Tuesday.

What is everyone paying for all three services?
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
gone traveling

I have one of these hooked up to a Google Voice number: Amazon.com: OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter: Electronics

Acts just like a landline phone (my mother-in-law has no idea it's "over the internet") and costs $1.50/mo for unlimited domestic calling. The only reason it isn't free is because we wanted e-911 service because we have our child at home every day, and want the MIL to be able to call if needed.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Here in MO it is about $35
I was wondering about your price I saved over $50, by cancelation. I'm in one of those lucky areas, have the 'free toll' to call anywhere I need to. So that explains the difference.

M
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote