Join Early Retirement Today

What Else Should I Be Doing?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What Else Should I Be Doing?

Here are the stats:

Me - 48, DW - 48
Me - federal employee with COLA'd pension at 56, DW - small home business
Kids - 2 in college (freshman and junior), money that will be needed for that is set aside in cash
Home - paid off. We like it here and will probably stay here after retirement (in 7 1/2 years).

Right now we are living on about 50% of my salary and the rest is invested.

TSP is funded to the max (in the very conservative L fund - 20% stock, 80% fixed income). At 50 years old I will start the catch up contributions. Later this year I will switch my contributions to the Roth TSP (later that will be transferred to the regular Roth IRA's after I retire - pssst Wellesley).

The regular Roth IRA's I have mentally set aside in my mind that will be untouched and left to the kids.

My pension will be approximately 55% of my take home pay. So I'm pretty sure our retirement expenses will be covered by that in retirement. Additional monies as needed will come from TSP withdrawals and taxable investments (we plan to travel a lot in retirement).

In my taxable accounts I am keeping it simple and relatively conservative. I have been investing in OAKBX (Oakmark Equity and Income) and PRPFX (Permanent Portfolio) and adding to my cash cushion biweekly.

My question is...am I missing anything? I feel at this point I am in the home stretch and really don't want to blow it. That is where my conservative approach to the stock/bond allocation comes in.

Thanks, DD
DoubleDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many folks think they have to be 50 to start catch-up contributions. That's not quite right. They can be 49 and start catch-up contributions as long as they are 50 on the last day of that year.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What does FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator say? Not being a wise guy, it's really a very good place to start. You seem to have the bases covered, but without numbers we can't know what to tell you. You may not want to share more detail, and that's perfectly understandable.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you have most of the bases covered. I'm assuming you have medical covered at retirement? What about Long Term Care Insurance?
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Sounds like you are in CSRS. Then consider opening a Voluntary Contributions (VC)Acct with OPM, loading it with after tax funds using an awards credit card via pay.gov, then roll any earned interest into the TSP and the contributions to a Roth IRA.
emkute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
gone traveling

If you are retiring at 56, remember your SS kicks in 6 years later. That means your savings need to carry you another 6 years then gets a break with an additional 3 to 5K extra a month. (Depending on DW's SS account). Once SS kicks in, you can back off your savings withdraws.

I used this site to figure my blend of govt. pension, 401K, 457 and SS. Maybe it will help you understand the relationship of your various income and when they kick in and how they might affect each other..

Retirement Calculator - Parameter Form
skipro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you are all set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDown View Post
My question is...am I missing anything?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkute View Post
Sounds like you are in CSRS. Then consider opening a Voluntary Contributions (VC)Acct with OPM, loading it with after tax funds using an awards credit card via pay.gov, then roll any earned interest into the TSP and the contributions to a Roth IRA.
This is _great_ advice. One of the most underutilized CSRS benefit that is quickly fading away. You can open this Voluntary Contribution account and deposit up to ten percent of your lifetime earnings in a lump sum, and immediately roll into a Roth, no taxes due , unlike an IRA conversion.

SM