Join Early Retirement Today

What ER is too high for International?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What ER is too high for International?

What ER is too high for an international fund. We have in our 401k Thornburg International Value R3 with an ER of 1.45%. It has had good returns in the past but I am unsure if that high of an ER is worth it, especially considering my 500 Index fund ER is 0.09% (VIFSX). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's too high for me. If you can buy any fund, then compare to what you can buy. It looks like anything above 0.5% is too high. See the "here" links at DFA vs. Vanguard for expense ratios of many worthy funds.

It seems one should always compare to the Vanguard fund in the asset class that you are looking at. VEU has an expense ratio of around 0.2%. So that's another upper limit to shoot for.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with LOL. Stick to the VIFSX in your 401k. If you want International buy VEU or its MF equivalent in your IRA or in a taxable account. 1.45% is just too much drag to overcome.

DD
Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ditto. Is there an echo? Shoot for under 0.5%, since you can get most flavors of international investments for somewhere in the 0.2-0.5% ER range. Maybe go a little higher if you are constrained on the ability to invest in international elsewhere. 1.5% for international vs. 0.1% for SP500 would probably make me be 100% SP500 if those were my only choices since I doubt I could beat the 1.4% expense drag by diversification/rebalancing/risk reduction in international.

I'm stuck with virtually this same choice in my HSA - 1.5% for anything besides SP500, and 0.4% for the SP500 index fund. So I'm 100% SP500 in the HSA, and get my international, small cap, etc. elsewhere in IRA, 401k, taxable, etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie790 View Post
What ER is too high for an international fund. We have in our 401k Thornburg International Value R3 with an ER of 1.45%. It has had good returns in the past but I am unsure if that high of an ER is worth it, especially considering my 500 Index fund ER is 0.09% (VIFSX). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave
I wish we could get ERs like that in Canada! In the US you have the advantage of size. However I expect ERs in the US to rise in the next few years due to tighter securities regulation and reporting requirements.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Can you not purchase Vanguard ETFs through a TDWaterhouse.ca brokerage?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes, see
Investing in Vanguard in Canada

....though I have not personally done so. Most Canadian investors are not aware of ETFs and iShares. But their interest in reducing fees is increasing and the DIY quotient is increasing!