Join Early Retirement Today

what financial advisors get you.... not much
Old 06-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

what financial advisors get you.... not much

The attached link provides access to an abstract and paper "Assessing the Costs and Benefits of Brokers in the Mutual Fund Industry" presented by authors from Harvard Business School and University of Oregon at the AFA 2006 Boston Meetings.* The study seems to indicate what many on this forum have known and practiced for quite some time.* Namely, better results seem to be obtained by selection of mutual funds and allocations by informed individual investors when compared to paid advice.* ** **

I especially enjoy the last sentences of the abstract "Further, brokered funds exhibit no better skill at aggregate-level asset allocation than funds sold through the direct channel. This analysis implies that any benefits that exist must be found along less tangible dimensions."* What, pray tell, would be "less tangible dimensions"?*

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=616981

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: what financial advisors get you.... not much
Old 06-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I suspect the "less tangible" benefots amount to hand-holding and some minor paperwork.

I think there is a crying need for more and better financial planning services. Unconflicted advice by someone trained to at least a CFP standard would be a lot better than what a lot of people currently get. Unfortunately, the financial services industry seems set up to avoid this.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hmmm, I suspect the "less tangible" benefots amount to hand-holding and some minor paperwork.
The abstract covered the hand holding topic, but called it "Attenuation of behavioral investor biases."
Old 06-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
The abstract covered the hand holding topic, but called it "Attenuation of behavioral investor biases."
****, gotta love academics.

I think that keping people from doing stupid things is one of the best thing advisors can do. But that assumes that the advisor A) is smart enough not to do stupid things and B) not financially motivated to assist in doing stupid things.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think that keping people from doing stupid things is one of the best thing advisors can do. But that assumes that the advisor A) is smart enough not to do stupid things and B) not financially motivated to assist in doing stupid things.
And (c), has the cojones to recommend a balanced asset allocation when stocks/oil/gold/tech is returning 50%/yr and the client says "but my neighbor just bought a new 44 footer with twin engines with the money he made on oil/gold/tech last year!!!".
Old 06-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
And (c), has the cojones to recommend a balanced asset allocation when stocks/oil/gold/tech is returning 50%/yr and the client says "but my neighbor just bought a new 44 footer with twin engines with the money he made on oil/gold/tech last year!!!".
Ain't that the truth. But I gess if I were to get into the advising business, my response wuld be "that was LAST year, not this year." Still, it would require the advisor not to be chasing every fee dollar and avoid pandering to bad habits (performance chasing, snake-bite, etc.).

- Will Rogers