Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yet another well written piece on outer bounds of negative rates:

http://mishtalk.com/2016/03/13/how-l...aghis-madness/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What happens when you let academics influence the real world...
Old 03-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I read the article. Why are you bashing academics? Didn't read one thing about policy being set by academics? That policy I'm sure was in fact instituted by those in the "real world". Just like "real world" bankers and brokers push lobbyists to change policy to favor them whether it's a bad policy that could bankrupt our entire nation. Academia has no power or play in monetary policy.

The Federal Reserve is staffed by Ph.D.'s in Economics. Janet Yellen herself is an academic. Ben Bernanke was an Econ professor at Princeton before Greenspan brought him into the Fed.

Need more? An example. A recent study/paper by two staff economists at the St. Louis Fed addressed the fact that their inflation models predicted, based upon their inputs, that the price of oil would be negative a few years out (i.e. oil companies would pay you to use their oil). Instead of questioning their basic assumptions/model they launched into an esoteric discussion of why their model said what it said.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Glad to know that my successful decades on Wall Street as an Investment Banker with a bulge bracket firm left me totally clueless on the ways of Finance, Wall Street and the how the Federal Reserve work. So I will defer to you and no doubt your decades of relevant experience.

That by the way is how you politely call someone an idiot...

I had to look up "bulge bracket firm". I thought it might refer to something else:

From Wikipedia:

"The bulge bracket comprises the world's largest and most profitable multi-national investment banks[1] whose investment banking clients are usually large corporations, institutions, and governments...

The name comes from the way investment banks are listed on the "tombstone", or public notification of a financial transaction or deal. The bank responsible for control of allocation of securities to investors, known as the bookrunning manager is listed above the others and on the cover of the prospectus. The font size of the name of this bank, or banks if there are co-bookrunning managers, is larger and it may "bulge" out."

note: last sentence highlighted by "Bulge Bracket" redduck
all other highlights were done by Wikipedia
Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I had to look up "bulge bracket firm". I thought it might refer to something else:

From Wikipedia:

"The bulge bracket comprises the world's largest and most profitable multi-national investment banks[1] whose investment banking clients are usually large corporations, institutions, and governments...

The name comes from the way investment banks are listed on the "tombstone", or public notification of a financial transaction or deal. The bank responsible for control of allocation of securities to investors, known as the bookrunning manager is listed above the others and on the cover of the prospectus. The font size of the name of this bank, or banks if there are co-bookrunning managers, is larger and it may "bulge" out."

note: last sentence highlighted by "Bulge Bracket" redduck
all other highlights were done by Wikipedia

I wish. I could've had an equally lucrative career in the movies, which would've been more fun... ;-)

Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
The Federal Reserve is staffed by Ph.D.'s in Economics. Janet Yellen herself is an academic. Ben Bernanke was an Econ professor at Princeton before Greenspan brought him into the Fed.

Need more? An example. A recent study/paper by two staff economists at the St. Louis Fed addressed the fact that their inflation models predicted, based upon their inputs, that the price of oil would be negative a few years out (i.e. oil companies would pay you to use their oil). Instead of questioning their basic assumptions/model they launched into an esoteric discussion of why their model said what it said.

Isn't that the same thing?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Isn't that the same thing?
Maybe just a difference of how we use words, but I wouldn't think that is the same thing. At least it didn't mean the same thing to me in my job and the models I made. When I made models that didn't seem to result in reasonable results as I understood the "real world", my first step was to start over and challenge the whole basis of my model. Only if I couldn't find anything wrong there would I spend the time to explore all the ins and outs of why the model got various results. Maybe something different to the folks that predicted negative oil prices....don't know.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #27

For those with too much time on their hands, apparently like me, here is a link to the paper I referenced.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-ec..._campaign=2542

Old 03-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #28

Quote:
I wish. I could've had an equally lucrative career in the movies, which would've been more fun... ;-)

Not your fault. This often happens when one doesn't receive proper occupational guidance. Who knows, you still might be happily working if you had chosen a career in the movies.

And, there's no chance that you would be reading this now (see directly below).

Quote:
For those with too much time on their hands, apparently like me, here is a link to the paper I referenced.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-ec..._campaign=2542
Lars, Lars, Lars, ah, what might have been...
Old 03-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Current monetary policies were clearly described by Jim Rickards in his best selling book "Currency Wars" in 2012.
http://www.amazon.com/Currency-Wars-...=currency+wars
It is hard not to notice that all major economies Central Banks are involved in it (ECB, Japan, China and US at least till last December). Unfortunately above mentioned Central Banks do not have any other solution but "Easing". Where in the End you think it is going to lead to?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Not your fault. This often happens when one doesn't receive proper occupational guidance. Who knows, you still might be happily working if you had chosen a career in the movies.

And, there's no chance that you would be reading this now (see directly below).

Clearly all traces back to a misspent youth studying...
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #31

[QUOTE=VFK57;1708436]Current monetary policies were clearly described by Jim Rickards in his best selling book "Currency Wars" in 2012.
Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis: James Rickards: 9781591845560: Amazon.com: Books
It is hard not to notice that all major economies Central Banks are involved in it (ECB, Japan, China and US at least till last December). Unfortunately above mentioned Central Banks do not have any other solution but "Easing". Where in the End you think it is going to lead to?

Central Banks, at least those pursuing NIRP for the moment, seem hell bent to ride this policy train to its conclusion. And as always as you barrel down a dark tunnel you have to ask yourself is that faint light you see coming at you daylight or another train heading your way?

I fervently hope the US Central Bank is smart enough to continue to take the spur it has started to follow (lifting rates) and avoids the temptation to veer back onto the main track of NIRP. IMHO nothing good will come of it.

As recent commentary is emerging, the good news is that the insanity of NIRP indeed may have real world practicable boundaries that will keep it in check. One can only hope so
Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Who knows, you still might be happily working if you had chosen a career in the movies.

Or a highly satisfying career as a Hollywood parking valet.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Even so he'd get to park the occasional Ferrari. Everything is more grand in LA!

Ha
Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Even so he'd get to park the occasional Ferrari. Everything is more grand in LA!

Ha
Those Ferrari guys, they don't tip as well as you might think.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Uh, a little too close to home . You try parking cars when you're 70. Those private parties are killers--running up and down the street retrieving cars for people.
p.s. turns out that Lars is a pretty good tipper
Old 03-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Those Ferrari guys, they don't tip as well as you might think.
One of the side perks of my misspent youth on Wall Street is I owned my first Ferrari when I was 29.

And if we plunge down the rabbit hole of negative interest rates I may be buying more in my old age. Not such a bad side affect of NIRP now that I think about it...
Old 03-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Yet another warning from a prominent man in Finances
Mohamed El-Erian: We've reached the end of the road - Business Insider
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to a biased chaotic system.

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of money and monetary flow but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Bifurcation Point!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Welcome to a biased chaotic system.

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of money and monetary flow but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Bifurcation Point!

I am sorry, but are you talking about monetary policy or the presidential election? (Mods feel free to interpret this as veering off into Porkyland and shut the thread down...)

Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am sorry, but are you talking about monetary policy or the presidential election? (Mods feel free to interpret this as veering off into Porkyland and shut the thread down...)

Eh? Nothing to do with elections in an individual country.

Economic systems tend to be mathematically chaotic systems. We can apply pressure on a system to try and steer it a bit, but often the chaotic 'noise' overwhelms the steering pressure that poking a single variable (e.g. Overnight interest rate) can have. A sudden loss of confidence in a market (Tulip Mania crash) or a misstep in fiscal policy (e.g. "Austerity economics" in Europe recently) can have a much larger effect than tinkering with a handful of variables available to a central bank.

Monetary policy is just one tool, and not a particularly powerful one. It is often compared to "pushing on a string" in terms of effectiveness.

You can google "chaotic systems" and "bifurcation point" for more information on those terms.