What have you learned from this forum?

firewhen

Recycles dryer sheets
What are the 2 or 3 best nuggets of wisdom that you have learned on this site? Try to be relatively brief so we don't run on, but what was an "Aha!" moment for you that we might all learn from. I have only been here a few months, but for me it was:

not relying so heavily on stocks during RE as the volatility would not be worth a slightly higher return
all about SWR
and the issues around private health insurance

Anyone else?

- the potential benefits of delaying taking SS
- the savings potential of high deductible health insurance
- the potency of wheat bread

Individual 401(k) has already saved me several thousand dollars over the SEP IRA I had previously.

Three years ago when I first found this forum I had no idea that ER was possible, I'm now retired.

That Vanguard can support all my financial needs without AG Edward, ML and the sort.

Also there's some very smart people that hang out here. Thanks to all of you.

wow, many things but i'll be brief with one: i'm still not as secure about money as when mom used to give me my allowance but thanx to forum members i've become comfortable enough about finances that i think i will be able to continue sleeping until noon far into my retirement.

i've never known about most of this stuff before. i'm reading pillars and bogleheads and this money section of this generous forum. a lot goes over my head, some bits go in one ear and out the other, but i think enough is getting stuck in my teeth that i won't be too embarrassed of my portfolio even many years from now.

much thanx to all my tutors.

Three Nuggets? Well....here goes:

1. Most of my fears about ER were unfounded.
2. ER doesn't have to be permanent, temporary, good or bad. It is an adventure,
one day at a time!
3. ER isn't going to be fun if I worry about $$ too much. Luckily, I don't have to.

Lots of stuff

1. If you waste enough time on this forum - the women in the house trash your webtv and buy you a real computer.

2. How to use Goggle and Mapquest to find out cool stuff about Missoula.

3. If you do a good job of whining a VERY impressive Curmudgeon certificate will awarded - suitible for printing and framing.

heh heh heh heh - oh yeah and lots of basic nuts and bolts stuff for successful ER.

The proper use of firecalc
1% is actually a lot
Put wheat bread on my shopping list

I'm also relatively new here, so these are mine:

- VUL's are a crap investment. Buy term life or a mutual fund (or both), but don't combine them.

- Your Roth can be used to store some of your emergency fund since you can withdrawal the principal penalty-free.

- How much fees can erode investment performance.

1. Found out about and read Bob Clyatt's "Work less, live more...."
2. SWR considerations
3. Redirect dividends and cap gains from taxable accounts to money market to faciltate
rebalancing without forcing realization of more cap gains.

1. That there are other people like me that want to or have retired early to enjoy life (can't find these types of people anywhere else)
2. The 72t rule
3. That Vanguard and Fidelity are both great places to invest
4. That Military TSP has some of lowest expenses anywhere

On a different tack:

1) How similar are many people's frustrations with workplace
2) How much of a consideration health insurance is for US ERs
3) Lots to do day to day during ER - not to worry about boredom
4) ER can be good for health and well being

-That withdrawel methods are very important due to tax considerations
-That SS is best delayed to prevent 50% reduction prior to 65
-That some condition of FIRE elicits focus on food (CFB, T-Al) or Sex (....) Waiting for the book showing the combination of the two

- Somehow it's very comforting to read about others' dreams and fears and how similar they are to mine

- 72(t)

- Great to hear from those that ER primarily on income from investment real estate

- Ins and outs re health insurance... a dense, dark world I never knew existed :p

- Yes, I can ER. I am not alone.

Thanks to all for the tremendous knowledge, wisdom and insight provided.

Here's my list:

1. Strategies for Portfolio withdrawal. I haven't retired yet so I was totally focused on accumulation -- it's good to have some idea of the flip side of the picture. One of my favorites that was posted here: Retire at the Pie Shop
2. Compared to my co-workers, I'm a Saver Extraordinaire. Here, I've just average.
3. There are many roads to Dublin. Oh wait! That's from the Vanguard Diehards forum ::)

- If I relocate to a lower cost area, I can ESR/ER in a few years instead of a decade.
- Piglet sodomizers walk among us.

1. Buffet was right; if you don't have the inclination to research stocks, buy index funds, allocate correctly, then get on with your life.

2. There are a lot of unhappy employees who envy me, of all people.

3. SWR. Like point#1 on allocation, figure out what you can live with, set it and forget it.

4. I'm extraordinarily fortunate to have pensions, and healthcare.

5. Balance. This one I'm working on, but as you age, spend it. If you don't your kids/grandkids will.

1. That FIRE is possible
2. How to determine if/when you can pull the plug - FIRECALC, SWR and the like.
3. I am not alone in this dream.

I've learned

ER is possible and that there ARE people out there doing it.
Bonds should be held in my tax deferred accounts.
That I still have a lot to learn.

When I look back I'm amazed at how much I've learned and the confidence I've gained since coming here.

I'm the sane one for RE.

I've learned:

There are others who live comfortably on less than $30K/year.

There are others who are happy living alone.

This is a great place for advice on food and computers.

:) That there are other people in the world who can live without credit card debt and buying a bunch of stuff that they don't need... that saving is often more satisfying than spending.

:) That the best part of FI is that you can RE or partially-RE or do whatever the heck you want to do... FI lets ME call the shots.

I love reading the posts on this forum. The people in here make more sense to me than 99% of the people I run into in person. So thanks, y'all!

CJ

1. There are alot of poor hapless souls who hate their jobs.
2. Asset allocation uber alles.

I've been reading from this site for maybe a year before I posted anything. I found that there isn't anybody that I know outside of this site who is knowledgeable or interested enough in ER that I can have these conversations with. I think it's just not something people feel can be part of their reality. But, I've been reading books on it for years and I needed to be beyond the books. This site goes beyond the books. Here's my Big 3.

1) Useful strategies and details about handling the withdrawal phase after I FIRE

2) Better understanding of healthcare / insurance options after FIRE

3) Great creative and practical ideas for how to enhance a FIRE lifestyle while keeping expenses to a minimum

1. How to put together a plan....
2. It is possible and not that hard....
3. That there are folks that rinse out their ziplock bags and collect dryer lint :p

Back
Top Bottom