Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What I learned in 1040 class.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
Dunno why... I haven't come across any other software companies that bother to do this.
Because of their arcane rebate policies and poor disclosure, I don't hesitate to complain vociferously at the slightest provocation. Persistence has even succeeded beyond the refund deadline.

When their customer-service people realize that they're dealing with an ER who could spend all day debating the situation on their time, they cave in and "cheerfully" refund the purchase. It's worked with Quickbooks, Quicken, & TurboTax so I'm beginning to believe that it's the company policy.

Sure, it's a heckuva way to pass the time, but I figure that if a customer complaint about the software or the rebate system is linked to a refund then they'll pay more attention to improving it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords, that's a great tip.. persistence does pay off, but..

1.) from where I am it's a toll call (800 numbers don't work overseas, thus my calls might easily supercede the rebate) and

2.) even if it weren't, spending even a half-hour with a series of customer "service" people on the phone is not worth $8.95 to me at this point. I'm trying to get away from all that.

Kudos to you, though. One of my old business partners was similar. He even enjoyed signing up for those "free" trips where they try to sell you timeshares because he had no problem fending them off and actually had fun messing with their heads. Me, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye...

---
On the Intuit side of things, they are a straaange company indeed. The one drawback of using a Mac is their horrible implementation (though that is too kind a word) of Quicken. I sometimes visit the Intuit forums and you would not believe the insanity there. People ranting and raving about bugs and so forth, and then every once in a blue moon a Quicken employee will show up with a "think happy thoughts"-type thread like, "What do you like best about being able to customize Quicken?" which sets me right off because G*D*-it!! I can't customize it.. switch between "banking" and "investments" and you lose your prefs.. Idiots!

Don't get me started on their broken capital gains, broken spin-offs, etc. etc.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If TurboTax has a serious calculation/algorithm/legal error that didn't get corrected before April then I've never heard of it.* There are at least as many Intuit-bashers out there as Microsoft-bashers, so I suspect the Intuit folks are extra terrified careful & conservative at their software.

Heck, I whine every time I have to do a six-page schedule D on the computer.* I'd never be able to return to doing two federal returns (plus an AMT calculation) and two state returns with paper & pencil.*
TT Federal is fine. Sometimes the state products have glitches in my experience. They are never big, but they do require attention and sometimes manual fixes.

While I like TT, Intuit sucks donkey balls. I actually went as far as switching to TaxCut (decidedly inferior, IMO) one year when Intuit went to their evil mandatory tracking install that messed up gawd knows how many machines just so those buggers could try for a few extra sales.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #64

Interesting thread twist, I cannot restrain myself.....must vent....while I am no fan of Microsoft, I really fume at Intuit. IMHO they have some of the best products available but their so called support is, well, have fun thinking of appropriate terms...(no Intelligent Design in their service dept? )

I am happy to hear someone can hold their own with Intuit, way to go Nords
Old 12-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I have a long-standing dislike of Quicken, TurdboTax, and Intuit. Like others, I’ve found their products flawed and their customer service worthless as teats on a boar hog very poor.

My attitude towards Intuit was further degraded by my experience with them while bidding to be a supplier. Makes me wonder if Walmart’s legendary procurement arm recruited heavily from Intuit. At any rate, my attitude towards their entire product line is that you should open the lid on the toilet and throw them intuit.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Intuit stinks in every imaginable way, but so does their competition, so I use the product.

Hate it but use it.

Ha
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I do my own taxes, have used turbo tax since it came out, some old 1-2-3 spreadsheets with autocalc before that. Paper forms by hand before that. I used h&r block once when I was in my late teens and first made something resembling real money. I was a bit uncomfortable with the preparer, as she was doing all sorts of things that I thought were borderline that werent really saving me money. I havent used anything other than turbotax simply because i almost always get it for free after rebates and i'm more comfortable with it rolling up last years turbotax data into this year.

Up until a few years ago taxes were a little painful. A had stacks of individual stock trade confirmations from several different brokerages, stock options, employee stock purchases, and constantly flirted with underpayment penalties and AMT. I can state with great authority that writing a six figure check to the IRS is one of the most painful things you can ever do in your life. :P

The last few years have been a lot simpler. All mutual funds at vanguard made that a little easier, excepting my mistake last year of using the Short Term Bond Fund as a money market and discovering that every redemption/purchase/reinvested dividend ran into the wash sale rule and required me to parcel out which shares were sold and at what individual purchase/sale amount. That took me about 4 hours. The rest of it took about an hour total.

Should be better this year - closer to the hour than the 5 hours. So three days of being tax batty to five hours to one. Still, I've learned a lot about taxes and incorporated that learning into changed financial planning. And I cant for the life of me imagine it'd save me anything to try to shove all this %$#%$@ into a shoebox and drop it on someone else.

I've never used electronic filing for most of the reasons stated above. No paper trail, and it costs money to save the IRS work...I cant figure that out either! I know you can get products that do free fed and state e-file, but I havent seen one that does both from the same input.

Martha - a lot of the "inputting" is fairly painless. Many payroll companies, investing outfits and banks offer auto downloading of the detailed financial info and auto create the 1099's within turbotax. There's a tremendous amount of handholding, examples, and links directly to the tax code. Without hundreds of individual stock sales, ISO/ESOP's and the stuff that you probably dont have to work out, it'll probably take you a few hours to wrap up once you have all your paperwork in a pile.

To get your tax s/w free after rebate, just wait until the office supply stores (staples, officemax, officedepot) start offering 'bundles' where you buy turbotax, get a rebate on that, then get a bunch of products (state, quicken, virus, etc) free after rebates. You buy about $75-100 worth of stuff, apply one of the readily available staples/officemax/depot $15 off $75 or $20 off $100 coupons, send in all your rebates, and end up with all the software for free. Note that the virus s/w is usually only free if you already own an older copy and are upgrading, but after that first year, the updates are free.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Intuit stinks in every imaginable way,.

Ha
It's probably due to all the whale blubber they consume.

JG
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

My peeve with TurboTax is really with BestBuy which does not sell the Basic version here in Texas. They sell the Deluxe version which comes with one free State income tax software, but ... Texas has no state income tax to speak of. But I do get all the rebates from Intuit and BestBuy when I buy the software.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Another reason to file online, including electronic payments, from News Of The Weird:
(2) 30,000 pieces of mail to IRS (mostly estimated-tax payments), into San Francisco Bay in September when a truck was involved in a collision on the San
Mateo Bridge.
I got bit by that. I sent in my Sept. ES payment and it never got cashed. Being the conscientious
tax payer that I am [translated "I didn''t want the check to bounce if the IRS decided to cash the
check a year later after I had forgotten about it"] I called them up and asked what the deal was.
The lady was polite and said that they hadn't received it and said that I should have received
a letter explaining the truck collision etc. I told her I had received no such letter to which she
responded: "You know, several people have called and said that they got the letter even though
their checks were cashed and apparently a lot of people haven't received the letter when they
should have". Now, in this day and age, how hard is it to get this right?!?!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
I got bit by that.* I sent in my Sept. ES payment and it never got cashed.* Being the conscientious
tax payer that I am [translated "I didn''t want the check to bounce if the IRS decided to cash the
check a year later after I had forgotten about it"]* I called them up and asked what the deal was.
The lady was polite and said that they hadn't received it and said that I should have received
a letter explaining the truck collision etc.* I told her I had received no such letter to which she
responded:* "You know, several people have called and said that they got the letter even though
their checks were cashed and apparently a lot of people haven't received the letter when they
should have".* Now,* in this day and age, how hard is it to get this right?!?!
My Daddy and my mechanic have opined that the more complicated you
make a car, the more things will go wrong. We "closet Luddites"
believe this is also true of the universe in general.

JG
Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
My Daddy and my mechanic have opined that the more complicated you
make a* car, the more things will go wrong.* We "closet Luddites"
believe this is also true of the universe in general.

JG
You have simply restated the Second Law of Thermodynamics. You didn't know that you were a physicist, did you?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
You have simply restated the Second Law of Thermodynamics.* You didn't know that you were a physicist, did you?
My talents are quite vast. I would like to say that I even surprise
myself, but in truth that never happens.

JG