Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if colleges and universities would do a better job of educating if their compensation was in some way dependent on the income of their graduates.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Perhaps student loans should only be available to those who attend State schools. Private schools would only be for those who can pay 'out of pocket'.
Perhaps students and parents should exercise some common sense. That would stop the problem in its tracks.

I recall listening to a show on NPR about a year ago where they interviewed an English literature major who was about to graduate and had not given much thought to what jobs their degree would qualify them for or how much total debt they had taken on until it was much too late. Their major did about nothing to qualify them for a good paying job and they had large student loan debt as an anchor around their neck to start off life.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

What about schools having a variable tuition based upon the expected income that major would produce. That way, an arts degree might cost say, $10K $3K a year they pay you and a business degree would cost $40K a year and so on.

Please do not forward this to my SIL who vehemently believes that college should never be about getting a job but about "the joy of learning" and the ummm "experience of college life".
Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Perhaps students and parents should exercise some common sense. That would stop the problem in its tracks.
You could take that stand on a number of situations where someone is being sold something........

Automobile customers should exercise some common sense so that lying, high pressure salespeople can never put them into a car and car loan they can't afford.

Investors should exercise some common sense so that lying, high pressure salespeople don't sell them FA services they don't need or complicated, high commission annuities.

Home buyers should exercise some common sense so that lying, high pressure mortgage loan officers (think 2006) don't put them into a mortgage they can't afford.

Students and parents...........

And blaah, blaah, blaah.........

I really think there are shrewd hucksters out there that can easily take advantage of many folks. We need to establish a few rules to help keep them in at least partial control for the sake of maintaining an organized society/economy. Having the student victim at least be able to petition for bankruptcy after the "fashion and design" major that was a "guaranteed winner" doesn't pan out would go a long way towards this.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
What about schools having a variable tuition based upon the expected income that major would produce. That way, an arts degree might cost say, $10K $3K a year they pay you and a business degree would cost $40K a year and so on.

Please do not forward this to my SIL who vehemently believes that college should never be about getting a job but about "the joy of learning" and the ummm "experience of college life".
That idea could have potential. After all, different degrees are different products and they are worth different amounts so why not charge different amounts for them.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
We've seen the problems easy loan money creates. I'd like the colleges, who ostenstibly have the student's best interests in mind, to be more responsible about the financial burden.
Maybe I'm too much of a cynic but I doubt colleges have the student's best interests in mind anymore, even ostensibly, despite what the nice glossy brochure will say. This is a business and a nicely profitable one at that.

Professors and deans in my town sure live well on their mid-six figure salaries and as another poster commented, the overall facilities are like five star resorts.

As always, "follow the money"

Just my view.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps force the educational institution some non-trival participation in the student debt so they have some skin in the game. If the school owned 50% of the debt I suspect that the number of fashion and design majors with high leverage would decline dramatically.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I really think there are shrewd hucksters out there that can easily take advantage of many folks. We need to establish a few rules to help keep them in at least partial control. Having the student victim at least be able to petition for bankruptcy after the "fashion and design" major that was a "guaranteed winner" doesn't pan out.
I think a better idea than letting people declare bankruptcy would be to require colleges to provide students and their parents a free seminar about the risks of student loan debt and the differences between majors in relation to job placement and income potential.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps force the educational institution some non-trival participation in the student debt so they have some skin in the game. If the school owned 50% of the debt I suspect that the number of fashion and design majors with high leverage would decline dramatically.
Only if we change the rules, as I suggested above, to allow bankruptcy to discharge student loans.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think a better idea than letting people declare bankruptcy would be to require colleges to provide students and their parents a free seminar about the risks of student loan debt and the differences between majors in relation to job placement and income potential.
While I agree that is a good thing to do, I don't think it is nearly a big enough of a hammer. The lenders need to assume more risk and therefore be more selective where they give loans. Especially at for-profit schools where abuse seems to be the worse.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't mind paying ahead except I would like 10% discount.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I recall listening to a show on NPR about a year ago where they interviewed an English literature major who was about to graduate and had not given much thought to what jobs their degree would qualify them for or how much total debt they had taken on until it was much too late. Their major did about nothing to qualify them for a good paying job and they had large student loan debt as an anchor around their neck to start off life.

I agree that this can happen at a top notch school.... but from what I read most of the kids with horrible loans that cannot be paid are going to those for profit colleges that give them zero skills....

Just looked this up...

20 Private Colleges With the Highest Student Loan Debt | Credit.com

Then saw this.... looks like Pennsylvania is not a great place to go to college...

These Public Colleges Spit Out Grads With the Most Student Loan Debt | Credit.com
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You could take that stand on a number of situations where someone is being sold something........

Automobile customers should exercise some common sense so that lying, high pressure salespeople can never put them into a car and car loan they can't afford.

Investors should exercise some common sense so that lying, high pressure salespeople don't sell them FA services they don't need or complicated, high commission annuities.

Home buyers should exercise some common sense so that lying, high pressure mortgage loan officers (think 2006) don't put them into a mortgage they can't afford.

Students and parents...........

And blaah, blaah, blaah.........

I really think there are shrewd hucksters out there that can easily take advantage of many folks. We need to establish a few rules to help keep them in at least partial control for the sake of maintaining an organized society/economy. Having the student victim at least be able to petition for bankruptcy after the "fashion and design" major that was a "guaranteed winner" doesn't pan out would go a long way towards this.
Simple solution teach folks to assume that everyone trying to sell them something only cares about the salesperson welfare and does not give a damn about the customer. Paranoia is a good thing in these cases, assume you are the patsy in every deal.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #34

Quote:

And yet with some tweaks the major could be useful. How many instruction manuals have you seen that are written horribly. I recall back when I was involved in standards work a person from an It company with an english major came along and made the documents much more clear. If you learn how to use the english language to communicate effectively (which STEM majors generally don't have time to learn) it can be a useful skill.
I do recall from grad school there was a requirement for an Oral presentation class which many thought a waste of time, but communication is of course important in most jobs.
So encourage the person and have the school offer some tech writing courses, so not all essays written are on the minutia of literature.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #35

Perhaps colleges could underwrite the loans. A student could pay 10% of their salary for 10 years, then the rest is forgiven. Or they pay a lot of they get a great job.

Or require military service before anyone can even go to college. An honorable discharge could be a prerequisite to enrolling in a public college, or getting any government guaranteed loans or pell grants.

If you can't handle the military, you can't handle college either.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Simple solution teach folks to assume that everyone trying to sell them something only cares about the salesperson welfare and does not give a damn about the customer. Paranoia is a good thing in these cases, assume you are the patsy in every deal.
I 100% agree that teaching people to recognize risks and sales pitches is a good thing! But simple solution? No, I don't think so. In fact, isn't "simple solution" and "teach folks" an oxymoron?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Y'all are tackling a big subject, thankfully without getting into politics.

Some early thinking to broaden the probabilities and possibilities:

College loans compared to Subprime housing loans
College costs in other countries
Changing to government paid through college
Likelihood of changing any laws
Compare College Endowment $$$
Federal vs. Private based lending
Loan forgiveness or bankruptcy effect on banks and lending institutions.
Selection of brightest and best
Government support, based on government rules

Dealing with some pretty big institutions here, and not all with altruistic motives.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Caveat emptor...since 1523!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (27.4 KB, 4 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
And yet with some tweaks the major could be useful. ...
Agreed. DNephew was an English major and took a job in a company IT department helping with their documentation. He has since decided to go back to school for his masters in counseling.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #40
Administrator

I paid for law school in full, in cash, without loans or financial aid of any kind. I had saved all the necessary money during the 8 years I was working as an engineer following college. That did three main things:

1. It made me think very hard about where I went to school. I realized that if I wanted a decent legal job, I needed to go to a top school. I limited my applications on the theory that if I could not get into one of the top 10, I should not go at all.

2. It made me think carefully about the courses I took. It was entirely possible at my school to take fluff courses and still graduate. Since a very large number of my classmates came from wealthy families and really had no intention of practicing law, that worked for them. I stuck with the black letter law classes.

3. I never skipped class, because I knew to the penny how much each day cost me.