Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've seen the life expectancy in 1900 was about 47, but much of that was skewed much higher infant mortality rates. For those who made it into adulthood, I believe the life expectancy was over 60 even back then.
This link suggests you are correct. For the average white male just coming of age (20 year olds), the life expectancy in 1900 was 62. In 2004 it was 77. So at least some portion of those coming of age around 1900 could still have had sufficient time to earn a living, and save some funds before expecting to die, assuming the average salaries available at the time provided a sufficient surplus after living expenses that allowed one to save a significant portion.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

What if everyone ER'd?

That would be a bad thing. RE, my last refuge from competition.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Watched the Space Shuttle launch on cable last night - felt a twinge but it soon passed.

Will be checking the rental places this week for tillers to aerate the lawn and till spots for the flowers and veggies this year.

That's fun - not work. When it's not fun anymore, I'll stop:

Or at least beg her to stop coming up with planting ideas.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am more and more impressed with Kotlikoff and Burns' ability to cover all the bases.
I believe there is a huge flaw in this idea, that someone who doesn't go to college because Burns says it doesn't pay will become a highly paid plumber or pipe fitter or crane operator.

The truth is, he will likely become a marginal IT guy, or a salesman who may of may not have the talent for that, or a department store clerk. Some entrepreuneurs will hit it, but that is a talent and personality type too, jut like oil field workers or crane operators or high iron workers.

People go to college mainly because they want white collar lifestyles. They prefer working in air conditioned offices to sewers, or the frozen tundra, or flooded basements or construction sites. They want to eat luch with clean hands in an air conditioned lunchroom or restaurant insted of a hundred feet up in the air on a girder.

Most blue collar work is downright hard. Hard on your knees, hard on your skin, often dangerous. I knew that fishing in Alaska paid a lot and left a lot of down time in winter, a good setup for sure. But it is hard and dangerous, so only certain types are willing to do it. Two of my friends drowned on crabbers in their 20s.

So most of us go to State U, and avoid that rough stuff.

Ha
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER would then matriculate younger- the bar would be set lower. Because some people just need to be better than others. Unless you are a democrat.

If everyone retired at 55, the ER would become 45
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I believe there is a huge flaw in this idea, that someone who doesn't go to college because Burns says it doesn't pay will become a highly paid plumber or pipe fitter or crane operator.
As well as all those PHDs now working behind the counter at McDonalds.

(Yes, I am exaggerating... but not by much.)

Anyway, I am not the one to defend Burn's position on this issue (or any other). I merely meant that I am impressed that they even thought it through about it.

(You do make a good point, however.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote