Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good on you Shawn. You make your money, you choose what to do with it. You choose how to live your life. I find helping other people to be admirable, and I don't see that the helped person has to be a relative - or even aware that you are the helper. You want to keep animals alive rather than euthanized? Good for you, good for the animals, good for the veterinary clinic and thus for other pet owners.

This is an early retirement forum and it kinda sounds like some of the members are protesting a bit loudly that you not retiring as soon as possible is baffling and that not working is some sort of goal that all should aspire too. Nonsense. Want to treat yourself by not working; that's fine, but putting someone down for working for a purpose or for something other than their personal gain is just sad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Maybe she is truly grateful, but in my experience people you don't know who you keep sending free money to will also write to you glowingly to keep it coming. As soon as the money stops, you'll never hear from them again. I'm just saying look out, it's a common tactic.
.... But good for you for helping that girl. Keep slaving away instead of retiring.
Shawn - Congrats for finding something you enjoy doing (your work and the gifts that you have offered/provided).

Kabekew - I bolded a phrase above. Maybe you had passion and/or compassion in life or other areas before, but why continue to stir the pot? It's your choice to "give" or not to immediate family or others. You gave to yourself by electing retirement. Kudos to you.

I have visited different regions of the Philippines and will return to offer various donations for the benefits my family had experienced. Many people with less there and here in the US. It's just nice to be able to do something "good". It's a personal choice.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
The 4-year cost of college in the Philippines will be fairly minor - probably $30K or so. Chump change.
That's around PHP 1.5 million. I'm going to assume that includes room and board because even at a top tier private university (Ateneo, La Salle, UAAP), tuition fee is not that expensive. But man, it's crazy how high tuition fee has gotten. Back when I was in uni around 12 years ago, a year of engineering undergrad at Ateneo was around PHP 100K (~USD 2K). Now it's PHP 170K (~USD 3.5K) a year.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #124

Shawn do you have any children?
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You make your money, you choose what to do with it. You choose how to live your life.
+1
Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. If you enjoy your work why quit if you don't have to? Many self employed people work well into their 70's if their businesses are successful and they enjoy it.

Yikes. My first thought on someone who fits this description exactly. Jerry Jones. Sure hoping he quits his job!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
......... For example, if you were Buffett, would you quit?
I think Buffett is only paid $100,000 a year with considerable expenses and everyone knows you can't live off BRK dividends. I think the poor guy has to work.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Yikes. My first thought on someone who fits this description exactly. Jerry Jones. Sure hoping he quits his job!

You will have to explain who Jerry Jones is. Never heard of him.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #129

Quote:
Are you kidding? If not he is the owner of the most valued NFL franchise the Dallas Cowboys....
Old 01-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think Buffett is only paid $100,000 a year with considerable expenses and everyone knows you can't live off BRK dividends. I think the poor guy has to work.
Yes, he should have diversified out of BRK and bought some divvy stocks. It's too bad he does not frequent this forum to join in the frequent threads about cap gain vs. dividend investing.

Quote:
I also had to look him up. And I live in the US, not Canada.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

We are giving up around $260k when I retire next year at 57. We can live comfortably on 75k a year. Can't wait to be unemployed!!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #132

Reading this thread I've come to the following conclusions.

1) I made a WHOLE lot less than most of the folks here - but still managed to retire at age 52... does that make me a winner (for retiring so young) or a loser (for making sub 100k... by choice since I was 80% part time AND stayed off the management track by choice.)

2) Shawn sounds like a really nice, compassionate person. And the folks who are critical do not sound as nice.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Reading this thread I've come to the following conclusions.

1) I made a WHOLE lot less than most of the folks here - but still managed to retire at age 52... does that make me a winner (for retiring so young) or a loser (for making sub 100k... by choice since I was 80% part time AND stayed off the management track by choice.)
You have done well. Comparison to others is a loser's game. Enjoy your retirement.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #134

Great thread. Folks "give up" a lot of $ when they retire. But I suspect that the "give up" numbers are not even close to the numbers it would take for happy retirees to go back to work.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great thread. Folks "give up" a lot of $ when they retire. But I suspect that the "give up" numbers are not even close to the numbers it would take for happy retirees to go back to work.
Very true. I could have continued the part-time consulting work for an increase to 1.5x, or perhaps even less. But at this point, I would want more to go back to work, perhaps about 2x my previous rate. And as the sky must be falling if they would pay me that much, my retirement status is very safe.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #136

I semi-retired from circumstances very similar, at 57 earlier this year. I am still working about 1/3 time for 30%, which made the transition considerably easier. I've been skiing 2-3 times a week in the mornings and hiking a couple times a week for the last three months, with no discernible effect on life style. DW is younger and will continue to work for a few years, but she also took a 55-60% hit to salary by moving.
You can't get back your time, though, so if you have enough, you have enough--save for time.
I qualified two years earlier but continued to work, just to be sure. Don't regret the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I just received my review, bonuses and raise this week. Annual salary and bonuses are right at $122,500. (4 weeks vacation, 4% 401K match, etc.) Not much different than past years. When I look at that number, I wonder if I am a fool to give it up. (I am giving it up, that thought just runs through my head a bit.)

Of course, even if I worked until I was 70, I would have the same issue. People would line up around the block for a job that paid that amount, but most would be unqualified.

If you got laid off and decided to FIRE, it’s not really a decision you made. If you requested severance and got it, that would be a decision you made. If you gave up a job and got a big pension, you only gave up a partial amount.

When you finally declared FIRE, what was your number that you gave up?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #137

Yes. If you are happy/happier working than retired, then you go, man. One has to retire to something, not just from.
My mother has been a caretaker all her life, first for my brother, then her mother, then my father, which is what she does. I'm glad she can now rest a bit, at 82.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Good on you Shawn. You make your money, you choose what to do with it. You choose how to live your life. I find helping other people to be admirable, and I don't see that the helped person has to be a relative - or even aware that you are the helper. You want to keep animals alive rather than euthanized? Good for you, good for the animals, good for the veterinary clinic and thus for other pet owners.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Out in 8 weeks. Salary $150k, bonus $30k - $70k. Car allowance, gas card, large expense account. Deferred comp program.

Went to part time making half that but just cannot keep doing it. Too burnt out. Taking the plunge.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #139

Quote:
Yes, sorry about that Danmar. Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Cowboys. As owner he also amazingly places himself in the general manager role. An important role involving personnel decisions, strategy, and direction. It's his right if he wants. He owns the team. But for fans of the franchise it gets harder to swallow every year. Let's just say he is not a steady hand at the wheel and results on the football field have suffered. Along with fans. Hoping he'll give it all up and retire was just a passing fancy as I read your comment.

I'm sure I've sidetracked this thread enough. Sorry for the confusion. But I am jealous you've never heard of Jerry Jones. Wish I could say the same.

Muir
Old 02-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
does that make me a winner (for retiring so young) or a loser (for making sub 100k... by choice since I was 80% part time AND stayed off the management track by choice.)
If you are happy then you are a winner. Nothing worse than trying to live according to other people's expectations.