Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm going to RE in about a year. Current total Megacorp income $140K, 6 weeks vacation, pension will be 35K, plan to live on 85K.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had two tech worker incomes. What helped us was realizing we were at the point where cutting annual expenses X 50 years had a lot more impact on our retirement numbers than even both of us working another few years. With more free time we had a lot of unoptimized expenses we could review, reduce or eliminate with a neutral or even improvement in our basic lifestyle. It has been several years now and we still have a full slate of projects for the coming year that will reduce our annual run rate.

Now DH has to remind me to run the retirement spreadsheet to show that even working a few more years does not make that big of a change in our long term plan. The older we get the more people we know die each year so that is also a good reminder not to work too much, though we still do have some hobby jobs for extra income.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #63

I won't be giving up as much as some of you when retirement comes at the end of April. For my mental wellbeing I am constructing a monthly transfer of funds that nearly duplicates the current paycheck.
As I ease toward retirement I am not seeing it as a trade off, but rather an opportunity. After saving a considerable portion of my paycheck for decades the time has come to cash in.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #64

I did not ever earn much (under 30) so I guess that was one reason it was so easy to walk away. My job was easy but my co workers just drove me crazy. I also believe we are not around as long as many say. I saw four neighbors die around 60.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I could write volumes on why women are not staying and exceeding in STEM jobs.
I'm in a STEM profession and it's a great one for women.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Almost everyone I know thinks I'm insane as I walked away from $180k + benefits and additional retention bonuses. I believe that put me in the top 1% of female income earners in the US. Reality is I worked hard with a goal in mind and when I met that goal it was easy to walk away from the BS. I could write volumes on why women are not staying and exceeding in STEM jobs.
Like the combination of excelling and succeeding into exceeding!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Quote:
Almost everyone I know thinks I'm insane as I walked away from $180k + benefits and additional retention bonuses. I believe that put me in the top 1% of female income earners in the US. Reality is I worked hard with a goal in mind and when I met that goal it was easy to walk away from the BS. I could write volumes on why women are not staying and exceeding in STEM jobs.
I would love to hear more, karen1972, about why women are not staying in STEM jobs. I serve on the board of VT Works for Women whose mission is to help women and girls recognize their potential and explore, pursue, and excel in work that leads to economic independence.We think STEM jobs are a great way to get to economic independence. What has to happen in order to make continuing in STEM jobs more appealing to women?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #68

DW and I walked within three months of each other. We walked away from a combined $150,000 +. (does not include any benefits) The interesting thing is we have more disposable income now than we did then. Take out the cost of working, two cars, meals, travel etc, SS Tax, and other stuff and we find that we spend less, save more, and have close to the same after tax/saving income.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I would love to hear more, karen1972, about why women are not staying in STEM jobs. I serve on the board of VT Works for Women whose mission is to help women and girls recognize their potential and explore, pursue, and excel in work that leads to economic independence.We think STEM jobs are a great way to get to economic independence. What has to happen in order to make continuing in STEM jobs more appealing to women?
The pay is great. Unfortunately, it's still a male dominated field at the moment and sometimes, there's discrimination and politics involved. Having more women studying and going into STEM fields should greatly help.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
The pay is great. Unfortunately, it's still a male dominated field at the moment and sometimes, there's discrimination and politics involved. Having more women studying and going into STEM fields should greatly help.
As a male retired IT management I agree. Many woman are passed by and overlooked on the field. I recall a guy just freaking out when I told him his new manager was female, his argument was in a previous job his female manager was difficult to work for! Just my experience but I've seen it occur too frequently.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
As a male retired IT management I agree. Many woman are passed by and overlooked on the field. I recall a guy just freaking out when I told him his new manager was female, his argument was in a previous job his female manager was difficult to work for! Just my experience but I've seen it occur too frequently.

Different field but your comment about not wanting to work for female bosses was heard often by me. Except it never came from men, but only from women... As I guy I always thought that was a bit humorous.
The reasons were always the same...generic stereotyping worries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #72

Agree on karen1972's assessment of women in STEM. DW is outstanding and twice passed over for the top job to have a XY brought in above her. She continued to run the place while they messed things up and slowly self-destructed. I am trying, trying, trying to get her to see the error of her ways and to come join me on the beach.

I am so happy that I left the big paycheck behind. Only an occasional fleeting regret which is quickly replaced by overwhelming warm and fuzzy feelings!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps because more women think that "leaning in" to high stress work and crazy hours does not bring happiness? It is hard to build up hobbies and relationships working 60+ hours a week. This Harvard researcher on happiness says to be happy lean in to relationships instead:

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_wal...ss?language=en
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

It all boils down to a person realizing at some point that he has less time than money.

So if one is a big spender and does not have much saved, he will feel that he always has less money than time, or perhaps has no choice, and will have to keep working. LBYM'ers can afford to retire earlier than their peers whether they like to work or not, and that is true across different income levels.

I often mentioned that I liked my work, and that was very true. It was the megacorp idiocy, the jealousy, the red tape that canceled out the fun. Still, I am greedy, and would have continued if they paid much more to make up for the aggravation. But I guess they were too chintzy and did not want to bribe me, and I just had to walk.

I can also see how people who enjoy their work and do not have the aggravation that most workers do can go on for a long time. For example, if you were Buffett, would you quit?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I walked away from 6 figure tax bills.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I can also see how people who enjoy their work and do not have the aggravation that most workers do can go on for a long time. For example, if you were Buffett, would you quit?
Agree. If you enjoy your work why quit if you don't have to? Many self employed people work well into their 70's if their businesses are successful and they enjoy it.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #77

Will be walking away from about 350k take-home in a few months. I really appreciate the discussion and reading how happy most are that they walked away. It doesn't seem that long ago that as a 10-yr-old I couldn't wait until I was old enough to work so that I could earn my own money, buy my own bike, bow-and-arrows, coin collection, etc. After all this time it's become something of a habit and a comfort against...against that feeling of "not being able to" do this or that, I guess. The decision to walk away is very hard for me...not because of the amount of the money, but because it's been so important for so long to keep the job and income. My job hasn't felt like an optional, disposable part of my life so far, and it's hard to shed that feeling of job as safety net.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retire in 19 months, I'll be giving up about $100K taking my pension into account and the usual vacation, holidays, and 3% 401k match. I'm working to age 62 to increase my pension another $10K. Since I'm eligible to retire as of last year, what is troubling to me is the $60K pension and social security supplement that I am giving up for 2 1/2 years. But I know that the extra money that I will earn by waiting will benefit my travel bucket.

I'm also a female engineer and find it hard to believe that the percentage of women studying engineering has not increased since the early 2000's (I graduated in '84). The federal government agency that I work for and has been very good about hiring women engineers, promoting them, and addressing work/life balance issues but has a hard time attracting women. And I think to some degree that treatment of women in my agency can vary depending on the part of the country - I'm in a great location in the field but out west. Also, most federal jobs don't pay as much as industry although I am fortunate to work in one of the higher salary agencies (similar to NASA). And our work is more about oversight of our government contractors and is not hands on, cutting edge technology so does not appeal to all.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I've had long talks with my (female) former coworkers and my BFF (software manager). I think it comes down to a few things.

* fewer women choose stem majors. It's getting better - but when I graduated with my BSEE - there were only 2 other women in my class/major. There were fewer than 10% of the entire engineering college (undergrad and grad) that were women. (This was the early 80's). At the time there were no women professors in EE at SDSU. (This *has* changed.)

* women approach the job and promotion track differently. Women tend to want to acquire the skills before applying for the next level position. Men tend to apply, even if they only have half the skill set. I presume this is a cultural/learned behavior... but my friends and I have all seen it, lived it, suffered it.

* women often make the switch out of direct development/engineering to sales or project management. The two women who were in my class both switched in the first 3 years of their careers.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #80

I probably won't FIRE for another 5-9 years but today a head hunter called about a VP job nearly identical to mine except that it pays a lot more. The idea bounced right off me, which I am going to call "progress", both away from past reflexive climbing and toward work sanity. I am curious to see whether the end for me is a struggle like it is understandably for Senator. My DF finally retired at 76 last month, so this is not an easy question for some. I suspect it will be easy for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote