Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What is a Moderate Income?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting link with salary.... but click on one of the people... the high paid are in their 30 years... but then click on history... here is an example..

Year Salary
2005 $137,591
2004 $115,670
2003 $96,583
2002 $80,776
2001 $75,725
2000 $73,431
1999 $71,027

Increase: $66,564
Percent: 93%

WOW... I would LOVE to get salary increases like THAT... and if thier pension system works like Texas... his pension has gone up the same amount even though if he had retired in 1999 it would have been based on the low $70s... and where did all the rest of that money come from The taxpayers...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Very interesting link with salary.... but click on one of the people... the high paid are in their 30 years... but then click on history... here is an example..

Year Salary
2005 $137,591
2004 $115,670
2003 $96,583
2002 $80,776
2001 $75,725
2000 $73,431
1999 $71,027

WOW... I would LOVE to get salary increases like THAT... and if thier pension system works like Texas... his pension has gone up the same amount even though if he had retired in 1999 it would have been based on the low $70s... and where did all the rest of that money come from The taxpayers...
There is something strange going on here. This person can't be a regular teacher. Are you sure the "teacher" didn't become an administrator? If this is just a teacher, where are the newspaper stories?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So out of over 900 positions, about 75 earn over 100K?
Most of those have a masters and 25 or more years of experience.
Considering their job, I consider that a savings.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
So out of over 900 positions, about 75 earn over 100K?
Most of those have a masters and 25 or more years of experience.
Considering their job, I consider that a savings.
So maybe our fast track teacher had 30 years or so in and then returned to grad school, picking up a masters - ka-ching - and then a doctorate - ka-ching, ka-ching, and coupled that with a 12 month position to get the high three up prior to retirement.

What the hey. As a Chicago pol is infamous for saying, "I seen my opportunities and I took em."

Old 11-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking at the data, I'd say they pay the old ones too much and the young ones to little. Since they do pretty much the same job. Senior teachers should hold jobs with more responsibility, and thus earn their higher pay. Also some teachers are over qualified. You don't need a masters degree to teach 4th grade math. There is nothing wrong with the teachers, rather the system is screwed up. Anyway.. I see a lot of middle class people sending their kids to private or charter schools which is getting more and more public & private funding. IMHO, The writing is on the wall for public schools.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwix98

WOW, I am sure "rookie" cops and "average" teachers in my area would be overjoyed to have
incomes like these. I would think in this area (Seattle) a rookie cop might make $60K tops, and
most school districts would pay a starting teacher around $35K tops.
Of course most average teachers probably have been in their profession for maybe 10 years
or more. The district my wife works in (one of the higher paying for the area) pays about
$50K after 10 years or so.
I'd be very surprised to see most police officers making $100K even with many years of
service.

Perhaps East Coast incomes are really that much higher than here in the West, at least in
the Pacific Northwest?

I would say a moderate income here would be about $70K, and with that you would have
difficulty buying a single family home, making two car payments, saving for retirement or
college, etc.
Our average home price now is about $400K so for many (like my adult "kids")
they will struggle to ever own a home without two persons in a household working
very hard to get in and hang on.
I didn't read all of the posts but NYPD starts thier officers, out of the academy at 32,700. If you figure overtime, the officers would have to work an average of 13.52 hours everyday to make 100,000.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
There is something strange going on here. This person can't be a regular teacher. Are you sure the "teacher" didn't become an administrator?
Nothing strange , and that person *is* a teacher - look at the link yourself - it identifies admins. These are teachers. They *may* also be taking on extra work, such as coaching or clubs:

From that site ( http://www.thechampion.org/teacher/c...r.pl?ssd=start ): "The salary data reported to ISBE is the same as the "total creditable earnings" reported to the Teachers Retirement System. It includes, among other things, extra-duty pay (coaching, clubs, etc.), board-paid retirement contributions, vacation and sick day buyouts, bonuses, and other compensation that the Teachers Retirement System includes in total creditable earnings. This salary data does not include the cost of employer-paid health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
If this is just a teacher, where are the newspaper stories?
There are no newspaper articles, because, it is not uncommon. There are 45 out of 707 Full Time teachers making over $100K in that district (6.4%). 21% of those do not hold a degree past bachelors.

Please note - I specifically said I cannot judge if this is 'fair' pay or not. But, I *am* trying to get some facts out there. These numbers surprise many people. And don't forget there are some exceptional benefits (tenure? - don't even get me started) on top of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Looking at the data, I'd say they pay the old ones too much and the young ones to little.
dmpi: A friend of mine is even more cynical about this topic than I am , he claims that this is actually a ploy by the unions - they can quote these lower starting salaries and spread the idea that teachers over-all are underpaid. Then the contracts award those that have stuck with the union for several years. He may have a point, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
ERD50
WTF
Ummm, is there something specific you disagree with? Would you like to discuss it?

-ERD50
Old 11-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #68

Just a reminder that most employees making high-5 or 6 figures get bonuses, sometimes half their salary again or more, and teachers don't. Also, policemen have many opportunities for earning overtime--teachers don't, except over the summer. And teachers who go for advanced degrees don't get financial (or time) assistance from their schools. Department chairs in most districts teach at most one class a semester--they are more administrators than teachers. And, like private employers, school districts are moving away from employer-funded retirement and toward employee-funded retirement. As I've mentioned before, my son puts 11% of his salary into the pension fund and his district 2 or 3%.

Some of these databases must put administrators and teachers into the same pot. That person with the huge increases in a few of the years was almost certainly promoted into administration.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuzzard

4) Comparing an BS in engineering and a BA in education is laughable. This is totally my opinion, with no scientific backup, but I am comfortable that 99% of engineering graduate could get a teaching degree, but less than 5% of teachers could get an engineering degree. Do you know anyone who dropped out of education because it was too hard? I don't either, but know that about 30% dropped out of my engineering class for this reason.
are you an engineer? So am I. Ever wonder why many people don't like engineers? Just curious.

As a person with a BS and an MS in engineering, I still consider your statement pretty arrogant. I suspect most math and science teachers could get a BS in engineering. Come on--it's mostly just the boring parts of science and math. And for non-science and math content areas, why should they?

I'll bet less than 5% of engineers could a good grade in an English composition class. At the university I attended (UW in Seattle), they had dumbed-down "liberal arts for engineers" classes so the dweebs could meet their distribution requirements. Ever noticed the literacy levels of many engineers? You'd want them teaching your kids? I wouldn't.

As I said previously, I do agree that tenure is gross. My view: get rid of tenure and pay teachers well. Boot the ones that aren't good teachers.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Some of these databases must put administrators and teachers into the same pot. That person with the huge increases in a few of the years was almost certainly promoted into administration.
Astromeria: The link I provided separates teachers and admin. I didn't include any admins in my numbers.

The specific example that TexasProud provided with the big increases - that person was *not* promoted into administration. Teacher all the way. Master's listed in each of the last few years (I didn't look back further).

It is possible that there are other reasons for those specific increases - that person might have taken on coaching or clubs in those last years, or achieved some other certification? Or accepted cash buyouts of sick time - you'd really need to dig into the details to break it down.

I don't want to make too much of any one specific case (interesting to see though). I just find that many people have this 'oh, the poor teachers' drummed into their heads. Many of them are surprised by these numbers.

My own MIL was a teacher for many years. She told me unequivocally that there were no elementary or high school teachers making over $100K in Illinois in 2005 - she believed that to be a fact. This public information says otherwise.

I know this is a sensitive topic for many, so I am going to repeat myself, redundantly, yet again: I am not making a value judgment about whether teachers (or any one else) are paid 'fairly'. I am just submitting these documented numbers so that people can get the facts. I do find that many people are surprised by the numbers.

FYI, out of curiosity, I sorted the data a bit more. Teachers in that district with 10 to 20 years experience (inclusive) had a median compensation of $65,652. 40% of those did not hold a degree past Bachelors.

-ERD50
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
The link I provided separates teachers and admin. I didn't include any admins in my numbers.
They apparently include department chairs as teachers since I see no notation for dept chairs. There's a dept chair for every subject in every school--so I bet most if not all of those very highly compensated 'teachers" are in fact administrators. (And yes, I think THEY are overpaid!)
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #72

The last school district my son attended had a starting pay for teachers of 36,000. This is for the basic education, just barely qualified teacher. This is base pay. The teacher can make more for clubs, coaching and all of the extracurricular activities. This pay is for 10 months of service. The school year is 10 months long, and the teachers receive a paid week off in November, two paid weeks off in December, and a paid week off in the spring. So actually the teachers are working 9 months out of the year and making 36000 and having the district fully fund their retirement.

You really can't use the overtime argument to any benefit, because many people in the educated private sector are also doing uncompensated overtime. The teachers can make more money by increasing their education and taking a summer job. What other job do you know pays 36,000 for working 3/4 of a year. Answer: anyone paying 48,000 or more. 48,000 starting pay straight out of college is not bad when compared to other fields.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

Year Salary
2005 $137,591
2004 $115,670
2003 $96,583
2002 $80,776
2001 $75,725
2000 $73,431
1999 $71,027

I can't tell if this person is still teaching in 2006 or is now retired. In Illinois, it became common to grant teachers raises in the 20% area for each of their final three years as part of a "get the highly paid geezers out" early retirement package. Teacher's pensions are based on the average of the three highest years of salary, so generous increased in the last three years ups their pensions dramatically. It looks like that is what happened in this case, but again, can't be sure from the available data.

This practice is now somewhat curbed because the state retirement system, effective this year, requires the school districts to pay extra into the pension system to compensate.

Here is some administrator data:

The 100 highest-paid school administrators in Illinois have salaries ranging from $201,707 to $361,146. Here are the top 12:

Administrator Salary District
Hintz James $361,146 ADLAI E STEVENSON DIST 125
Bangser Henry S $345,600 NEW TRIER TWP H S DIST 203
Hyland Timothy F. $321,158 GLENBARD TWP H S DIST 87
Catalani Gary $311,075 COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DIST 200
Vanderbogert M R $293,167 WINNETKA SCHOOL DIST 36
Conti Dennis R $291,263 WOODLAND C C SCHOOL DIST 50
Ennis Elizabeth A $288,512 TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL DIST 214
Rossi Harry $278,168 NORTHBROOK/GLENVIEW SCH DIST 30
Burns Kevin G $276,617 COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL DIST 218
Lamberson Jonathan $273,440 LAKE FOREST COMM H S DISTRICT 115
Baskin Lawrence M $271,667 GLEN ELLYN C C SCHOOL DIST 89
Curley Mary $267,624 C C SCHOOL DIST 181

I have no opinion as to whether teachers are overpaid or underpaid. I think the truth is that there are examples of both due to market inefficiencies. In some cases, unions successfully negotiate teacher salaries beyond the market rate and those school districts have long lines of highly qualified applicants trying to come on board. In poorer, rural areas of the state, funds for higher pay aren't available and key teaching positions in science, math and special education go unfilled or filled by less than fully qualified people.

School funding is very controversial in Illinois with wealthy areas being able to afford very high teacher salaries and therefore attracting the most qualified teachers over time. Poor areas struggle to have a warm body in the classroom. Of course, anecdotal examples of excellent teachers working for peanuts are terrible teachers working for big bux are always available.

In the end, the market will determine if the pay level is appropriate. If a school district is having trouble recruiting, pay is too low. If there are stacks of applications from highly qualified people for each vacancy, pay is probably too high. It has absolutely nothing to do with the qualitative factors, hours worked or the like. Union interference with the market can significantly impact market efficiency.

For those of you who think teachers are overpaid compared to yourself, I wonder why you are showing off your lack of reasoning and judgement. Knowing the pay levels, benefits and job content of the teaching profession, you chose not to enter but rather to do what you're doing now. Yet you complain? If you would have enjoyed teaching, think the pay and benefits are wonderful and would have excelled, what were you thinking when you chose another field?

Again, I have no opinion as to whether teachers are underpaid, overpaid or paid "just right." I would like to see market factors control pay levels more than they do today and for that we would need less union influence and more equitable funding of schools across various economic strata.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
For those of you who think teachers are overpaid compared to yourself, I wonder why you are showing off your lack of reasoning and judgement. Knowing the pay levels, benefits and job content of the teaching profession, you chose not to enter but rather to do what you're doing now. Yet you complain? If you would have enjoyed teaching, think the pay and benefits are wonderful and would have excelled, what were you thinking when you chose another field?
I agree!!! When I dun gradjiated HS, I had the opportunity to pursue WHATEVER field I chose! I had the opportunity to attend most any college that I would want to. I had the opportunity to get a job in about anything I could imagine.

I chose not to go to an institution of higher edumacation, and I got a decent job, with decent benefits, and a decent wage.

I've had nearly 32 years to change jobs, or go back to college (I have taken some classes over the years), or whatever........I chose NOT to!!! It was MY choice!!!

Most everyone else can also choose to stay the same or change.

We have those in our Union that always b**ch that they don't make enough or they don't get enough benefits. I'm very sympathtic toward them....NOT..... ..... I just tell them what has been passed down generation to generation in our family....."If you ain't happy.....get a job somewhere else! The classifieds are FULL of 'em!" Our paper may not always have obituaries, but I've NEVER seen a copy that didn't have a "Job" section in the classifieds!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The last school district my son attended had a starting pay for teachers of 36,000. This is for the basic education, just barely qualified teacher. This is base pay.
I think that's reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The teacher can make more for clubs, coaching and all of the extracurricular activities. This pay is for 10 months of service. The school year is 10 months long, and the teachers receive a paid week off in November, two paid weeks off in December, and a paid week off in the spring. So actually the teachers are working 9 months out of the year and making 36000 and having the district fully fund their retirement.
Whoa! First, how many decent paying jobs do you think are avaiable for 10 weeks over the summer? The teachers I know who work/have worked in the summer are teaching summer school, working a few hours a week giving SAT prep classes or private tutoring or music lessons, retail sales, clerical help, and waiting on tables. Only the teachers giving music lessons are making decent hourly pay over the summer. And try getting a week's work during spring break--maybe selling souvenirs or waiting on tables in Fort Lauderdale?!

My son makes an extra $600 per semester for coaching sports. He made less for being a team leader. He made nothing for coaching the winning Quiz Bowl team for 5 years (he had to stop and start coaching sports instead to have extra money to help pay for grad school over the summers). He'll make another $1500/year with a master's degree. Not to mention the cafeteria/bus monitoring duty he sometimes has to do for no pay. And did I mention that he gets 10-20 minutes to eat lunch (depedning on the day)? he doesn't even have time to buy it in the schhol caf, much less leave the building. He has no free periods--he runs a study hall when he isn't teaching, works an additional 2-3 hours a day outside of school periods, plus some time on weekends. I think his town is getting its money's worth!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
The opposite applies as well. Those teachers could be working elsewhere in another profession. They could be corporate droids or at a non-profit. They could be self-employed or working for a small company. Instead, they became teachers. Obviously, the benefits (vacation, pension, tenure) outweighed what those other jobs/careers offered.

There's a meme of the poor, poor, teacher who can't make ends meet. Teachers not only chose their profession but some also make decent, if not great, money.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
The opposite applies as well. Those teachers could be working elsewhere in another profession.
Absolutely! They vote to stay in the profession daily when they rise to the alarm clock, put their feet on the floor and go on in to spend another day with the "lil darlin's!" Just like you vote to stay in your line of work everyday!

Of course, I slept in this morning......again. I'm about to head out to vote, stop for a sandwich and a pint at the pub and chat with some of the guys for a while. Tomorrow I think I'll drive out west to visit a friend I haven't spent time with for a while.

RE is GOOD! It's the job I choose.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They apparently include department chairs as teachers since I see no notation for dept chairs. There's a dept chair for every subject in every school--so I bet most if not all of those very highly compensated 'teachers" are in fact administrators. (And yes, I think THEY are overpaid!)
You are probably right, I didn't see any reference to department heads or chairs. I really do not know specifically in that district what the responsibilities of a dept chair are, or whether the average person would classify them as 'teachers' or 'administrators'.

-ERD50
Old 11-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #79

Quote:
Whoa! First, how many decent paying jobs do you think are avaiable for 10 weeks over the summer? The teachers I know who work/have worked in the summer are teaching summer school, working a few hours a week giving SAT prep classes or private tutoring or music lessons, retail sales, clerical help, and waiting on tables. Only the teachers giving music lessons are making decent hourly pay over the summer. And try getting a week's work during spring break--maybe selling souvenirs or waiting on tables in Fort Lauderdale?!
My point was everybody seems to focus on the fact that teacher seem to make very little, but do not take into consideration that they are only working 10 months out of the year and are receiving a free months vacation per year. I do not know if the teachers were actually able to accrue vacation time, because it is not addressed in the manual. Think about it, when do you take your vacations. My family always took them around the holidays or summer. I have pretty much worked jobs where I was not able to take any of the holidays off for vacation, so since I've been an adult all of my vacations have been in the summer. I'm not complaining, merely stating a fact. What other job gives you a month of paid vacation per year from the start? Granted they are very restrictive of the days, but the teachers are still being paid to be sitting at home.

I know I pay about $40/hour for a tutor for my son. I'm sure they would be paid less, because they are doing it on their own and not a part of a larger company. I went to high school in the north and many of the teachers ran summer businesses. The town I'm from is very small so just about everyone knows who the teachers are and realized once school started and until the weather became cold the teachers would be on a limited schedule with their businesses. Several of my high school instructors were also college instructors. They were the few people who would load up on college classes during the summer, teaching pretty much every night they could, and have a limited number of classes in the winter, maybe one class.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I did a little research........ The mystery of the large raises (ball park 20%) in the data base is indeed because these particular teachers were in last three years before retirement.