Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What is a Moderate Income?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Whoa! Now there is some over generalization!
Which part is over-generalization--that most people making high 5 or 6 figures get bonuses, or that some of those bonuses are 50%? Fits with what I know.

Quote:
Yes, some people (myself included) are pointing out that many teachers get benefits that most in the private sector do not. Is that not true? The easy (and big) one is : tenure. Whether that is 'overly generous' or not, I'd prefer to leave to the free market.
In return for some bennies that are better than the norm (tenure, reitrement, summers off), these college graduates typically get less than average-college-degree salaries, no bonuses, no talking their boss into a larger than normal raise, no career ladder except into administration, no flexibility in when to take vacations, etc. Overall, I think it's a decent deal, as do all of the teachers I know.

Quote:
But there just is no way that $X with the summer off and some week long holidays is equal to $X with 10 paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation.
Who sez they are or should be "equal"? I only pointed out that it's extremely difficult for a teacher to earn significant money over their summer vacations.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I'd love to have the option to keep all benefits and have two extra months off each year and have a 1/6th reduction in pay.
I did the equivalent---worked 30 hours/week at 75% salary with bennies. You may also have that option if you're able to work it out with your employer. However, if you belonged to a union you could put that into your contract

Old 11-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
no career ladder except into administration
That's enough for me to not want the job. At least with most other jobs there's the slightest glimmer that one day I would be able to promote. With teaching there's only a couple administration jobs for teachers to promote into at each school and how many teachers? My uncle's been teaching for almost 30 years and he's still "just" a teacher. I don't know if he didn't want promotions or just found teaching to be his thing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I only pointed out that it's extremely difficult for a teacher to earn significant money over their summer vacations.
Maybe I'm oversensitive/a bit defensive, but I interpreted you first post on this to be argumentative. Since you cleared that up here's the olive branch.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Maybe I'm oversensitive/a bit defensive, but I interpreted you first post on this to be argumentative. Since you cleared that up here's the olive branch.
Here's one back atcha I am sensitive as my son is a teacher.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangluo

A single football player might well have a much bigger impact on community than a single teacher. His success might drive ticket revenue which leads to more jobs at the stadium, more dollars and jobs at retail and restaurants near the stadium, national positive media attention that might be good for the city's economic development, hell maybe a new stadium and all those construction jobs or a superbowl with hundreds of millions flowing into the city in a two week period.

One can make similar silly examples for other jobs. A couple of web designers can start a company like Google and have 9000 employees within 10 years. How many lives does that affect?
well, if we're providing "silly" examples, what about the high school teacher who is the football coach, who inspires 3 players to pursue careers like are described above--an overpaid teacher with triple the effect of one valuable-to-society football player?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Teachers usually don't get into teaching to make money, at least my parents didn't..........they wanted to make a difference in a kid's life............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote