Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I have some of our Roth IRAs in TRP Retirement 2035, I think it's a good plan. Be aware that there are different share classes of these funds, make sure you get into the lowest cost, expense ratio shouldn't be higher than about 0.73% (for TRRCX). I split my Roth funds between TRP 2035 and the lower cost Vanguard TR 2035 to get an overall ER of about 0.35% which I think is reasonable for an overall portfolio. Also puts the bulk of funds in indexes with some active management which makes sense to me. Good luck
What is the advantage in the TRP fund with a 0.74% ER vs the V TR fund with a 0.19% ER?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Be Conservative
Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Be Conservative

Plan your budget around a 5% or 6% return and if you get 8% or even 10% then it is gravy.

However, plan on 8% and 10% and only get 5% and 6% then start cleaning up your resume cause you're going back to work.

Mike Honeycutt
mahoneycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with a planning assumption of 7-7.5% for the total stock market, and maybe 5% for total bond market. Calculate your overall return based on your AA.

That said, this is pure, conservative speculation based on reading what the more sensible and conservatives gurus (Bogle, Lucia, Ferri, Bernstein, others) have said. But you've got to use some assumption if you're going to do any planning.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoneycutt View Post
Plan your budget around a 5% or 6% return and if you get 8% or even 10% then it is gravy.

However, plan on 8% and 10% and only get 5% and 6% then start cleaning up your resume cause you're going back to work.

Mike Honeycutt
which reminds me of one of my favorite lines:
Quote:
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Why plan nominal returns?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #25

Why plan nominal returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I agree with a planning assumption of 7-7.5% for the total stock market, and maybe 5% for total bond market. Calculate your overall return based on your AA.

That said, this is pure, conservative speculation based on reading what the more sensible and conservatives gurus (Bogle, Lucia, Ferri, Bernstein, others) have said. But you've got to use some assumption if you're going to do any planning.
Rich, others - can someone explain to me the value of planning asset returns in nominal (not real) terms? What does it matter what your portfolio returns if it doesn't take into account inflation expectations?

For myself, I use asset allocation to hedge risk/lower variance, but pretty much only assume I can have currently accumulated assets grow with inflation (during my growth phase) and roughly a 4% swr during distribution.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #26

I think it's helpful to track both nominal and real amounts.

For me, it's easier to project my future needs in real dollars. I need $x to live on now, so with a real return if %y, my FI line is in year z.

However, it's helpful to have i($x) and i(%y) tracked as well where i is inflation. So, as I'm looking at that future year z approach and checking my investments I don't lose track of what the real number will be.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Rich, others - can someone explain to me the value of planning asset returns in nominal (not real) terms?
don't think that was suggested; the original question simply asked about expected returns (nominal being suggested by the first post).
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

In my planning spreadsheets I use a real 4% return now, gradually dropping to a 2% real return by age 65 as my portfolio slowly becomes more conservative.

If inflation stays high I may need to revisit the 4% assumption.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

7% is completely reasonable for your asset allocation and investing duration, but I wouldn't call it conservative.

Expected equity returns 9%
Expected Fixed Income 4.5%

9% *.65 + 4.5% *.35 = 7.25%

After having gone nowhere for 10yrs while corporate earnings zoomed, equities are quite reasonably valued now. No reason we can't see 8-10% average equity returns going forward.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
After having gone nowhere for 10yrs while corporate earnings zoomed, equities are quite reasonably valued now. No reason we can't see 8-10% average equity returns going forward.
That could be disputed. By what measure do you conclude that?
PE's, for instance, are still around 25% higher than the historical averages and earnings are falling. Should equities become 25% undervalued, which does happen time to time, things will not be pretty. I think what many do not realize is how severely overvalued equitites were in 2000.
Maybe valuations will stay high forever and "equities are quite resonable now", but maybe not.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
PE's, for instance, are still around 25% higher than the historical averages and earnings are falling. Should equities become 25% undervalued, which does happen time to time, things will not be pretty. I think what many do not realize is how severely overvalued equitites were in 2000.
Maybe valuations will stay high forever and "equities are quite resonable now", but maybe not.
The more I read about the weaknesses of the stock market, I more I want to be invested in bonds. But I am already at 65% bonds, and they're not performing all that well either (at least from the two months I have been following them, plus maybe my lack of understanding on "return" with bonds).
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
Last I looked the SPX P/E was in the high teens, which is within a range of "normal". Earnings may well fall given the economic slow down and all, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that outside of financials. Meanwhile 10-yr treasuries are trading at something like a 24x multiple, which make stocks look cheap by comparison.

It's not my contention that stocks are a screaming bargain, I just don't subscribe to the pessimist camp that thinks we should expect sub-par performance for future periods extending out as long as 20 years (which is the investment time horizon of the original post).

P/E graph at Vanguard
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
The more I read about the weaknesses of the stock market, I more I want to be invested in bonds.
The best time to buy stocks is when you don't want to.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Last I looked the SPX P/E was in the high teens, which is within a range of "normal". Earnings may well fall given the economic slow down and all, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that outside of financials. Meanwhile 10-yr treasuries are trading at something like a 24x multiple, which make stocks look cheap by comparison.

It's not my contention that stocks are a screaming bargain, I just don't subscribe to the pessimist camp that thinks we should expect sub-par performance for future periods extending out as long as 20 years (which is the investment time horizon of the original post).
Fair enough. I think valuations still look fairly high, but if you have a 20year perspective I wouldn't argue they could do ok. I may not be exact here but PE's are still around 19 and historically they averaged about 14. 5/14 is ~36% overvalued by that rough measure (which I know many do dispute based on numerous factors), with a slowdown underway and market earning falling right now... not really looking cheap in my view.

P.S. I looked at your PE chart from Vanguard, it goes back to 1990. Not a valid measure in my view.

P.S.(2) I prefer the PE chart in this article. Hussman Funds - Weekly Market Comment: February 22, 2005 - The Likely Range of Market Returns in the Coming Decade It shows a much different view of things.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
What is the advantage in the TRP fund with a 0.74% ER vs the V TR fund with a 0.19% ER?
Well, I'll be able to tell you in 2035 who had the advantage, i.e. TRP or Vanguard The way I see it, there's alot to these target-date funds. The choice of passive (index) versus active management. The choice of underlying funds. The design of the glide path which gets more conservative as the target year approaches. I assume that both Vanguard and T. Rowe price (and Fidelity for that matter) put some thought and modeling into the design of their respective target funds. One of them will log the best performance in the end. I believe in spreading my bets. With the TRP fund, since it is almost entirely actively managed, in theory I have at least a chance of exceeding market returns. Of course it could also lag the market However, I believe in keeping costs low and in indexing for market returns also, that is why bulk of $ is in Vanguard's indexed version with lower costs, to keep overall ER at about 0.35% which is reasonable to me. Truth be told, I have $ in Fidelity's Freedom 2035 also, in my 401k, balanced out with super-low cost index finds to keep ER low (0.35%). It's somewhat of an experiment, to see which one of the three target date funds will do best, I don't think any of the three are bad investments that will blow up my retirement. I guess you could say I'm currently a fan of these fund-of-funds, I consider Vanguard TR 2035 as my benchmark to beat and track the other two actively managed funds against it. Time will tell.....
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #36

Quote:
7% is completely reasonable for your asset allocation and investing duration, but I wouldn't call it conservative.

Expected equity returns 9%
Expected Fixed Income 4.5%

9% *.65 + 4.5% *.35 = 7.25%
Flipping it around to a conservative portfolio (35/65 instead of 65/35) would yield:

9% *.35 + 4.5% *.65 = 6.075%

I would be ecstatic with 6% on my 35/65 portfolio.

BTW, the 65/35 calculation above comes out to 7.425%. Substituting 4% for the 4.5% fixed income portion yields 7.25%. But I think that still proves your point.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

If we're voting on numbers, I would have to say I think in terms of numbers more like these.

With these numbers, my 45:55 (equities:bonds/cash) AA comes out

7% x (.45) + 5% x (.55) = 5.9%

These numbers seem pretty reasonable for this relatively conservative AA. If my portfolio yields more in the long run, it's all gravy.

Depending on how negative I'm feeling, I might assume inflation of 3% which would give me a ballpark estimate of 2.9% real gain. (Average CPI-U for the past 10 years has been 2.60%, and median has been 2.75%, but nothing is forever.)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Depending on how negative I'm feeling, I might assume inflation of 3% which would give me a ballpark estimate of 2.9% real gain. (Average CPI-U for the past 10 years has been 2.60%, and median has been 2.75%, but nothing is forever.)
We use 4% for our personal inflation rate, based on 5 years actual experience. We are planning on a real return of 3% so need a higher equity component. We are also suspicious of a pure equity return of 9% going foward. More comfortable with 8%.

8% *.70 + 4.5% *.30 = 6.95%

Also we are unsure how to handle the declining USD because we spend 6 months in Mexico each winter. If the peso gains against the USD, then our real inflation will be higher. Currently around 10.4 down from 10.8...
Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've used an average of around 7%-9% for a long time now. And, according to my investment history over many years of tracking, that's about what I've earned. I monitor my return pretty closely each year - and will adjust it a bit, when I feel I need to be a little more conservative. Some years I will adjust it down a bit - depending on who's in office and what things are looking like economically. However, I've never made an adjustment above the 9% figure. From what I can tell from the political front, I figure my federal income taxes will be increasing in the near future (and my living expenses will be higher) - so I'm now in the adjustment phase for this.

Great topic!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We use 4% for our personal inflation rate, based on 5 years actual experience. We are planning on a real return of 3% so need a higher equity component. We are also suspicious of a pure equity return of 9% going foward. More comfortable with 8%.

8% *.70 + 4.5% *.30 = 6.95%

Also we are unsure how to handle the declining USD because we spend 6 months in Mexico each winter. If the peso gains against the USD, then our real inflation will be higher. Currently around 10.4 down from 10.8...
These numbers aren't bad either. I feel much better with 8% or 7% than 9%, and really I might be happier with 4.5% for fixed than 5%.

8% * .45 + 4.5% *.55 = 6.075%

I haven't computed a personal inflation rate, but plan on withdrawing maybe 2.5%.

After I see how that goes I might consider getting a little more wild. Or less.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote