Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have been a customer Bank of America ( or a predecessor banks) for over 30 years. I used to have alot of accounts with them (checking, CDs, business account, mortgage) but over the years I have moved most of my business to the local credit union. The only thing DH and I have at BofA now is a cash back Visa card. Anyway, yesterday I get a letter from BofA that says they need alot of info from me--date of birth, physical address (I get my mail at a PO box), phone number, SS#, citizenship info and that I have to bring my government photo id to a local branch office. (DH is a joint owner of the credit card but none of this info is requested of him.) The letter says I have to give all this information to a BofA location by 5/14/18 or the will cancel my "account"-- they don't identify what account.

I am concerned about identity theft so I immediately go to the BofA office. The person there says there is no identity theft that this all has to do with my BofA Visa card and has to do with the Patriot Act. I tell them i know they already have all this information from a few years ago when I got an increase in my line of credit and they say they need it anyway. I ask them if they need it for my DH and they say no they already have it for him.

Since I currently use this card I decide to give them the info but I wonder what is going on? I could cancel this card and get one at the Credit Union or elsewhere but I like the cash back feature of this card.

Anyone run into this at BofA or any other bank? I wonder what is going on?

Have you ever used Fidelity's Visa card? They give 2% back on every purchase. Just saying.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
Have you ever used Fidelity's Visa card? They give 2% back on every purchase. Just saying.
BOA has a premium CC which has 3.50% on travel and dining with 2.625% on everything else. The catch is you must have 100k invested with ML or at BOA.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

What is Bank of America up to?

Harlee, I wonder if your PO Box address is a problem. I know I have had to verify some things in the past because I used a PO Box as my mailing address. I have had one for 16 years and it just seems to be more of a hassle every year. And my banks left and right hand get it all screwed up all the time. No matter what I do, some mail is addressed to PO Box and some to physical address. Fortunately the town is small enough they throw it in my mailbox. Should have put a mailbox in my yard but too lazy. One of these days I may be forced to.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
BOA has a premium CC which has 3.50% on travel and dining with 2.625% on everything else. The catch is you must have 100k invested with ML or at BOA.
Didn't know that, I'll have to ask.

Got lottsa dough at ML & BofA. Never get any questions, never have to verify anything. Been that way for decades.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chase emailed me today asking to verify my income. What do they care as long as I pay my bill each month, and besides my income can be anything I want it to be. Well, not for long.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

None of you have been asked for saliva samples?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Agree with Mulligan, the PO BOX is likely the culprit.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I get stuff like that from my car insurance company too, they want to know the mileage on the cars...I keep ignoring it. It's been 2+yrs and they haven't taken any action yet. Or my Chase bank wanting me to 'update your salary info' - umm no, I'm good.
I used to ignore them until they actually called me to try and sell me life insurance, and then also asked the mileage. I asked why and they said I was paying a higher rate without the data so I told them. I think this is how switching insurance companies might save some people money, as they get a better rate until the ins co realizes you drive more miles than avg etc.

Anyways as for BofA I was mad at them as well. First time customer, I setup autopay on the credit card but it didn't autopay. I had to login, and click send. What kind of auto is that if I need to login the day its supposed to be automatically sent, and click a button to send. The rep assured me this was only a first time auto pay function.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I fixed that for you...because not everyone sees things the same way.
Not really.... the law is pretty strict and there are some big penalties if you do not follow it...

Since I did work at a bank and had to deal with this.... I would also say it is the opinion of the bank.... now, you might have a different opinion and a close account...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Chase emailed me today asking to verify my income. What do they care as long as I pay my bill each month, and besides my income can be anything I want it to be. Well, not for long.

I have been asked this for a number of cards and have not answered this except for one... they popped up every time I logged in and sometimes during the session.... just answered and that stopped... nothing else...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #31

I think you can safely ignore the Chase "verify your income emails". I have been for several months and they didn't close my account. Seems so far to be a thing to fish out more info from you, which they will reward you for by increasing your credit line and hoping you spend more on their card. Ha. We are always auditing something new it seems like. (Not an accounting firm either) .

The B of A thing sounds more like an audit uncovered missing information. I work for a large employer (not a bank) that has a lot of regulations and audits and whatnot so its really not odd if I look at it from that perspective. (Not sure if we often ask customers for info but we certainly expect employees to provide alot. Why did you access that database, etc . . . . and employees in question have jobs that require them to do this - its not new)

There are a lot of automatic triggers reporting you to directors and such for things you may need to do to solve problems. Provided you can explain why you needed to do a thing, its not an issue.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
This is standard for credit cards. I’m asked about once a year when I log in, but that seems to be for Chase and Amex. In this scenario my income is whatever I report to the IRS, although I round it. They are looking for changes in your financial situation I suppose.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 AM   #33

I also have had a continuing account with BoA (or predecessor) for 30 years or more. A couple of years ago they started a popup asking me to verify my SS number by unhiding it in a box. I went to the local branch and complained. They called somewhere and told them I wanted them to totally stop the login popups. They stopped until about 3 weeks ago when the verify your SS number one reappeared. (The idiots must want me to come to the branch to complain so they can try to sell some "Merrill Edge" to me for commissions.) It, otherwise, makes no sense to expose SS numbers or to check a SS number that is the basis of their issuance of services in the first place. They give me the FICO score so wouldn't I have noticed if something was wrong with their data? I never respond to these popups (popovers) but hate having to close the box since this means I do have to touch it somehow.

When I pay my Amazon Store Card at Synchrony, they always start the session with a page inquiring for current income. I always chose the skip option. I figure they may want to increase the limit and I like low limits on cards used on the Internet.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Didn't know that, I'll have to ask.

Got lottsa dough at ML & BofA. Never get any questions, never have to verify anything. Been that way for decades.
It is called a Premium Rewards Credit Card. Just came out last summer. It does have a $95 yearly fee, but you get reimbursement for $100 of baggage costs for flights yearly, so to me this is a wash and effectively no fees.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I used to ignore them until they actually called me to try and sell me life insurance, and then also asked the mileage. I asked why and they said I was paying a higher rate without the data so I told them. I think this is how switching insurance companies might save some people money, as they get a better rate until the ins co realizes you drive more miles than avg etc.

Anyways as for BofA I was mad at them as well. First time customer, I setup autopay on the credit card but it didn't autopay. I had to login, and click send. What kind of auto is that if I need to login the day its supposed to be automatically sent, and click a button to send. The rep assured me this was only a first time auto pay function.

I use a separate BOA credit card for autopay for bills. It should be a one time event. It works smooth each month with no issues.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I also have had a continuing account with BoA (or predecessor) for 30 years or more. A couple of years ago they started a popup asking me to verify my SS number by unhiding it in a box. I went to the local branch and complained. They called somewhere and told them I wanted them to totally stop the login popups. They stopped until about 3 weeks ago when the verify your SS number one reappeared. (The idiots must want me to come to the branch to complain so they can try to sell some "Merrill Edge" to me for commissions.) It, otherwise, makes no sense to expose SS numbers or to check a SS number that is the basis of their issuance of services in the first place. They give me the FICO score so wouldn't I have noticed if something was wrong with their data? I never respond to these popups (popovers) but hate having to close the box since this means I do have to touch it somehow.

When I pay my Amazon Store Card at Synchrony, they always start the session with a page inquiring for current income. I always chose the skip option. I figure they may want to increase the limit and I like low limits on cards used on the Internet.
We have a double authentication on our BOA accounts with a text message to the phone to verify the supplied number. I never have been asked for an SS number.
I will say that the one time my DGF was asked for an SS number, she used a different BOA site not secured, which didn't have the double authentication and it turned out to be a fraudulent site.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Agree with Mulligan, the PO BOX is likely the culprit.

I cant remember details, but the government has got tighter on these PO Box addresses. They want to make sure there is a connection to a physical address in some circumstances.
And now stupid problems are occurring. I cant even buy a cell phone from my own service provider Virgin Mobile. Its a circular chase. They wont ship a cell phone to a PO Box. And wont ship to an address that doesnt match the mailing address of the credit card. Well I have no way around that scenario. Fortunately Best Buy offers the phone I need though.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #38

Quote:
We have a double authentication on our BOA accounts with a text message to the phone to verify the supplied number. I never have been asked for an SS number.
I will say that the one time my DGF was asked for an SS number, she used a different BOA site not secured, which didn't have the double authentication and it turned out to be a fraudulent site.
Wish that were the solution but I also have been using double authentication. I use Trusteer Rapport also (download lined from BoA originally) and their arrangement with BoA should, via "Endpoint protection", protect me against redirection to a phishing site. The local BoA verified that the popover was theirs when I visited a couple of years ago. Your comment makes me wonder what is up with login popovers anyway. Why make a customer feel insecure?

My husband's computer recently went south and I ran down to Best Buy and got him a new one. BoA blocked the credit card charge because they flagged it as a suspicious charge. I verified the charge and it finally went through. The popovers started again at about the same time. Maybe there's a connection. Who knows. They do things without notifying you as to what is going on. I like it that they flag out of character charges so ....
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Wish that were the solution but I also have been using double authentication. I use Trusteer Rapport also (download lined from BoA originally) and their arrangement with BoA should, via "Endpoint protection", protect me against redirection to a phishing site. The local BoA verified that the popover was theirs when I visited a couple of years ago. Your comment makes me wonder what is up with login popovers anyway. Why make a customer feel insecure?

My husband's computer recently went south and I ran down to Best Buy and got him a new one. BoA blocked the credit card charge because they flagged it as a suspicious charge. I verified the charge and it finally went through. The popovers started again at about the same time. Maybe there's a connection. Who knows. They do things without notifying you as to what is going on. I like it that they flag out of character charges so ....
I believe my double authentication is not from "Trusteer Rapport", as I haven't heard of this reference but who knows.
I have had a couple of Best Buy charges challenged by BOA over the years. It has been stated that one of the first places for fraudulent use of the CC is Best Buy. At least that is what I was told.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 AM   #40

What is Bank of America up to?

Quote:
It is called a Premium Rewards Credit Card. Just came out last summer. It does have a $95 yearly fee, but you get reimbursement for $100 of baggage costs for flights yearly, so to me this is a wash and effectively no fees.

I just signed up for the card Dtail is describing. It also comes with 50,000 points if you spend $3,000 during the first 90 days. I also have a BOA Cash rewards card which has a higher points accumulation than the premium rewards card for groceries, gas and big box stores and has no annual fee. I had been using the BOA travel rewards card for everything else until the premium rewards card came out. The reimbursement for bags of $100/yr offsets the annual fee, I feel, so I went for it and will stop using the travel rewards card.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum