Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post

'F' is generally more expensive than 'G'+deductible because it's on the 'guaranteed issue' list after initial enrollment. This means 'F' has to accept high users of medical services. 'G' can pick and choose healthy members after initial enrollment.
Is there a 3rd party link that documents this ........ that F is on the guaranteed issue list and that G is not?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Just me, but I don't think the 'high' salaries of doctors is responsible for the increase!

Make that two... We all have known since birth that doctors get paid reasonably well. Yet we all didn't go to medical school and give up close to a decade of our lives to become one. Maybe they do deserve their pay. Physicians salaries consume under 10% of total healthcare dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 10-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
where insurance bureaucrats dictate your care far more than you and your doctor.
happening more and more often. Especially with the drug insurance companies.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
So this distinction that you are trying make between F & G only applies to certain states?
Everyone gets a one-time initial enrollment period, usually at age 65, when you can purchase any Medigap plan. After the initial enrollment is closed, federal regulations allow F to be guaranteed issue in certain limited circumstances. This usually creates a premium differential between F and G. NY & CT require all Medigap plans continue to be GI after initial enrollment so they may not see a premium differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Is there a 3rd party link that documents this ........ that F is on the guaranteed issue list and that G is not?
Reposting embedded link: 'guaranteed issue' list

Quote:
You have a guaranteed issue right (which means an insurance company canít refuse to sell you a Medigap policy) in these situations:

(List of situations - click one to expand and reveal the following)

You have the right to buy Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L thatís sold by any insurance company in your state.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #45

NY has no open enrollment for Medigap policies, they are open all year. It does prevent coverage of a pre-existing condition for 6 months. This can be lessened if there is no gap of coverage for more the 63 days.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Everyone gets a one-time initial enrollment period, usually at age 65, when you can purchase any Medigap plan. After the initial enrollment is closed, federal regulations allow F to be guaranteed issue in certain limited circumstances. This usually creates a premium differential between F and G. NY & CT require all Medigap plans continue to be GI after initial enrollment so they may not see a premium differential.

Reposting embedded link: 'guaranteed issue' list
SCG......thanks for clarifying the bolded above. Also thanks for your hint on clicking on one of the listed exceptions to bring up the magic words.
I had read some words regarding how in 2020 covering the deductible might be outlawed making plan F an orphan for new enrollees and increasing the premiums for older grandfathered enrollees. Fortunately CA has a birthday rule where you can migrate to lesser or equal plans for limited times around your birthday..........now to find out if we have a G plan where I live.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP:
Check the policy,there should be a table of premium increases by year,
if the policy is age rated.

Seems to me medicare is a bargain. Of course I have no idea how much we have paid in since about 1966.
Wife spent a few hours in the ER back in July total bill about 5K.
My bill $176.00 and we have the plan F HD plan.

Old Mike