What is on your "Recession Things To buy List"

I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod.
No iPod here either, although my daughter is promising to give me hers when she's done. She's threatening to fill it up with her favorite classic-rock tunes... I sure hope she's been paying attention. She's complaining that she can't plug her iPod into the Prius' dashboard radio/CD player, so I've offered to help her figure out which connectors to solder an aux jack into. I think she's decided to wait until she has enough money to buy her own car her own way.

I guess my Sony Mavica 3.5" diskette camera and our VHS-C camcorder are obsolete. We have a replacement camera but I'm not interested in upgrading the camcorder.

We bought CFB's recommended ASUS wireless router last month, and scooped up a cheap Series 2 TiVo from Craigslist. Spouse also scored a leather reclining office chair, so now she's checking Craigslist 2x/day for those "desperate deleveraging bargains".

Im thinking about an Ipod. Might be better than lugging a bunch of cd's around in the car.

Hmmm - winter in Kansas City depending - Arizona/Mexico, Carribean cruise., Redneck Riviera, and New Orleans(her grand daughter's twins due in March).

Thinking if it's a mild winter - could cancel some trips and buy dividend stocks - as hormone medicine/ or not.

heh heh heh - ice storm/no power like 2007 - next time I won't waste a couple days without heat thinking about it. :D.

My wife and I are going on a week long cruise over Thanksgiving. Cruise bookings are down, so to are prices. So much so that we are taking my child's best friend and getting them a room of there own.

She's complaining that she can't plug her iPod into the Prius' dashboard radio/CD player, so I've offered to help her figure out which connectors to solder an aux jack into.

I guess my Sony Mavica 3.5" diskette camera and our VHS-C camcorder are obsolete. We have a replacement camera but I'm not interested in upgrading the camcorder.

How about an FM transmitter to connect wirelessly to the car radio? You can get one for less than $10 (shipping included) from eBay. Purists may not like them because there may be some sound degradation, but it was good enough for me.

About your "ancient" camcorder, I have not seen those for a while! Time to do a bit of stimulating the economy, Nords.

Nothing seems to be coming down in price much around here, except gas of course. Certainly not services. We priced having our countertops upgraded this summer, held off due to various things, then re-priced them recently and the price had gone up!

On line, I've got my eye on the Sony Bravia XBR-Series KDL-46XBR4 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV. I've been watching it for almost a year and it's down from $3300 to about $2000 through amazon (although I'm a bit leery because every time I check the site, it's being sold through a different 3rd party--will they just dump it at my door? Try to charge me $400 to bring it inside?)

I just realized how funny it sounds to say I've been "watching" a TV, which we do not own, for almost a year...must be time to get ready for bed and yet another 0445 wake-up call and commute downtown.

I'm thinking about a LP to digital conversion device. I started pricing them, and the ones that are a turntable with USB interface seem to run $200-$400. Too rich for my blood, although I may look for a used one. I'm also looking at a conversion device like

LP Gear: Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB RCA Connector Audio Interface

where you just plug RCA into the interface and USB into the PC. Anybody ever used any of this stuff?

Once I get my LPs converted maybe I'll buy my first iPod.

Harley, just get the software and a turntable from a thrift store, that is what I did. The Magix brand is what I used, but there are others. You just use a regular two to one jack and set up your stereo next to the computer for a few days. It is tedious but not terrible. I think HFWR also has info on doing this--he has some awesome mp3s that were recorded from vinyl.

Culture, do you have concerns about liability? We've thought of taking our niece to Disney and perhaps a friend, but I'm so freaked out about the idea of taking someone else's kid somewhere. How does that work in this day and age?

Man, I would rather wear barbwire pajamas. Wool long underwear is an entire body itch to me. Give me synthetics or silk.

Yeah, I remember those itchy old wool sweaters I used to have. Merino wool is nothing like that and feels more like soft cotton only much warmer and warmer than synthetics for the weight (and not at all like barbed wire). Some outdoorsy friends recommended it to me and I had to try it to believe it. It's machine washable and seems to wick away perspiration, where synthetics always felt a little clamy. I guess some people might be allergic to it, but it's the best long underwear I've ever owned.

Ipod

"I don't think I would use it. They seem like black holes into which to toss money."

I download the lectures from the University of California. They recorded in class as the Professor speaks to the graduate students.

Listening to History 5 now. PhD level courses for zero dollars.

I also use the FM transmitter. You select an FM station with no signal and it plays through your car stereo. I find it makes the time fly as I drive up to the ranch.

Will be buying an expensive digital camera this month. Looks like about $4000.

boont

All this talk about consumer electronics and other household goods, etc. How much off do you think you can get an Ipod for? Not much! Other stuff, maybe.

But, it seems to me that now is an ideal time to buy an expensive luxury item on the *used* market. Top on this list would probably be a boat. So few people need one, yet so many probably wish to or are forced to unload "The Albatross" and its payments. If only they weren't so badly underwater! :p

All this talk about consumer electronics and other household goods, etc. How much off do you think you can get an Ipod for? Not much! Other stuff, maybe.

But, it seems to me that now is an ideal time to buy an expensive luxury item on the *used* market. Top on this list would probably be a boat. So few people need one, yet so many probably wish to or are forced to unload "The Albatross" and its payments. If only they weren't so badly underwater! :p

I "need" an Ipod more than I do a boat ;)

I think it is possible to buy refurbished IPods from the Apple store - don't think there is anything wrong with them, just they are the ones that are returned by consumers who change their minds.

Nords, thanks for the tip the other week about getting a TIVO off Craigslist. This is something I want to get as we currently rent 2 DVR's from TimeWarner at a cost of $20 a month, so if we can get some TIVO's they will soon pay for themselves.

I'm thinking about a LP to digital conversion device. I started pricing them, and the ones that are a turntable with USB interface seem to run $200-$400. Too rich for my blood, although I may look for a used one. I'm also looking at a conversion device like

LP Gear: Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB RCA Connector Audio Interface

where you just plug RCA into the interface and USB into the PC. Anybody ever used any of this stuff?

Once I get my LPs converted maybe I'll buy my first iPod.

It looks like an A/D converter with a USB output. So, what is wrong with using the audio line input of your PC?

A word of caution about using the audio inputs of the PC. There's a low level microphone input with millivolt sensitivity, and a line level input that takes signals of hundreds of mV.

The magnetic pickup of your old turntable puts out mV signals. But it needs to go into a preamp with RIAA equalization. Old HIFI amplifiers have this EQ circuit built in to their "Phono" inputs. I do not know if new amplifiers bother to have this anymore.

What I have done is to plug my old turntable to the "Phono Input" of my old HIFI receiver. Then, wire the line level output of the receiver to the line level input of the PC.

I have some audio processing software to digitize, then filter the scratches from the LP. You are not going to get CD quality, but with the scratches completely gone, it is a lot more pleasing to the ears. Some freebie versions of Nero that come with DVD drives have this capability. I also have a piece of software called CoolEdit Pro that works wonder.

I have also spent a bit of time digitizing my collection of several hundred old audio cassette tapes. It's a good way to spend your ER time in the winter without spending a lot of money.

PS. I saw that Sarah and HFWR have done the same thing with the hookup.

About RIAA equalization, there's no reason that it couldn't be done in software, by post-processing after digitization. However, I have not seen it. And by the way the Behringer converter literature did talk about the user supplying a phono preamp! So it does not have the RIAA circuit built-in, nor the amplification needed for the phono pickup.

One more thing about using external A/D converters rather than what is built into your PC. Some external A/D converters are more precise than the PC built-in circuit. However, the LP or audio cassette signal does not deserve this ultra HIFI precision, being of no CD quality to start out with.

Thanks! I might send you a PM as our plans become more defined. I am going to Copenhagen for a week (I don't know when yet) and while I am there I wanted to drive to Malmo and perhaps, if I am lucky, push all the way to Stockholm (it will depend on how much time off I can get). I have always wanted to visit Scandinavia so I am very excited about it!

Sure thing. Born in Malmo, grew up in Elsinore (45 km north of Copenhagen and home to Kronenborg Castle i.e. Hamlet fame). Happy to help.

I will get a toy for Christmas (around $1k). Something I have been wanting but put off. It will be my contribution to the economic stimulus.

We will take a vacation in early 2009. It will be domestic travel (help US businesses)... No fancy foreign resorts next year.

Other than that... we will stick with the plan... Diversified Portfolio. pay down the mortgage, invest through the 401k and try to stay on target for my ER date.

Check with
www.tirerack.com

Even if you don't buy from them, local dealers will often match the price.
Thanks, I've been buying from them. Two sets for my car, winter, summer) one set for DW's. Great to deal with.

Not a have to have right now, so waiting a bit to see if they'll drop some. Shipping is a killer for (4) 235/85/16 tires.

Expected purchases over the next 12 months- recession or not.

Florida home for retirement (never owned a home before) - maybe find a short/foreclosure

LCD for living room

Appliances for home if there are none

SAMs Club membership

Maybe trade the Toyota SUV in for a Yaris

A golden retriever pup

Maybe Buccaneer season tickets (probably not)

Recession (not) shopping list...

Since this is probably not going to be just another run-of-the-mill recession, but rather a protracted and severe once-a-century meltdown, instead of adding more toys, I suggest the following partial list:
  • Male/female pit bulls
  • Guns and lots of ammo
  • Crossbow and lots of arrows; hunting knives
  • Fishing gear
  • Two-way radios
  • Solar panels for house w/battery array
  • Seeds & supplies for a serious garden
  • Market shorting ETFs
  • Gold coins
  • Hidden safe
  • Books
  • First aid supplies
I'm half kidding of course! (...which means I'm half serious...)

Hey Galloot, did the Doom & Gloom Brigade give you a signing bonus to suddenly show up on the forum and tell us how bad things are going to get? ;)

Back
Top Bottom