Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting, I can only assume they get lot's of customers with less then that score then!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
In a recent (this week) conversation with one dealership, the threshold for 0% was 675.

5 years ago I bought a car that had gone through a major model change. (A 2010 in Feb of 2011). The dealer set me up with 0 % interest and $500 cash back on top of a great deal price. I asked how much cash back if I paid cash and was told no cash back. Only got he cash back with the 0% loan. When I asked how he said no one qualifies as you need a minimum 790 FICO.
When he found I qualified he asked why I wouldn't want to buy a nicer car...

Final paid that off this year.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No matter what I do, I remain at 796 on the FICO score.

My wife is the one with the 820-830 FICO score, and she's the one getting offers of all kinds for loan consolidations and low APR credit cards.

I sometimes question the FICO score factors taken into consideration. My wife doesn't even have a job and hasn't worked for 14 years--no income.

We so goes the Fair Isaacs Credit Organization's credibility.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I check my credit scores on credit karma every week to monitor my credit activity and it is fun to see my credit scores.

I am in the 820 range. A excellent credit score is actually a big deal and I have worked hard to get here.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I check my credit scores on credit karma every week to monitor my credit activity and it is fun to see my credit scores.

I am in the 820 range. A excellent credit score is actually a big deal and I have worked hard to get here.
Is there anything in particular that you have received as a result of your 820 credit score that you would not have been able to receive with, say, a 750? Or does it just make you feel good to have a high score?

I never check my credit score. I pay my bills on time but I could care less what my credit score is. I guess if I got denied some credit that I wanted, maybe then I would look into it. But that has never happened, and I doubt it will.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If you have a high credit score you can be assured that your mailbox will always be stuffed full of offers for credit cards.
Strangely enough, I just bit on one of those since I was thinking of applying anyway since the cash back stuff fits our spending style. First time in about ten years I've applied for a cc and it was already approved. The credit limit is absurd given our income and other available credit lines - if we ran them all up I doubt we'd live long enough to pay them off (well, DW might) I guess that's what the bank is hoping for.

They're going to be disappointed. We pay them off every month.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

18.3 % of FICO scores are 800 - 850.

That doesn't seem to be that exclusive of a "club"
Old 06-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
Is there anything in particular that you have received as a result of your 820 credit score that you would not have been able to receive with, say, a 750? Or does it just make you feel good to have a high score?

I never check my credit score. I pay my bills on time but I could care less what my credit score is. I guess if I got denied some credit that I wanted, maybe then I would look into it. But that has never happened, and I doubt it will.
I receive the best possible interest rates on loans and credit cards and a better car insurance rate.

I check my credit score in 30 seconds on credit karma each week just to monitor for fraud. ITS FREE!

There was a time when I carried credit card debt in my life and my credit suffered.
So now its just nice to see all zeros on balances and a score of 820.

Its just nice to know I am now winning with money. I spent many years losing with money.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My score never goes above 820 because we currently have no mortgage and I often apply for new "rewards" credit cards. Indeed, my credit age score is "Poor"! As others have said, though, a higher score would not garner any bennies.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We did not have a clue what our credit scores were until we qualified for 0% financing through Toyota. 825 & 830. The salesman was very suprised, though we do dress like bums and were driving older cars.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #31

Late last year, I applied for an increase in the limit on my main CC. It was rather low and I wanted it higher in case I needed to use my CC to pay the hospital bill following my July hospital stay. My credit score was between 810 and 820 which probably led to an instant approval during a quick call to a bank rep. I didn't end up using the CC to pay the hospital bill months later.

Oddly, after 6 months of my credit score being between 810 and 820, it took a small hit down to 805 in May. I'll be a little curious to see what happens when it gets updated in the next few days. My CC use hasn't changed recently.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #32

My credit score dropped a few points on both transunion and equifax this past month per creditKarma.... I assume it's because a slightly higher balance. I pay in full every month - but this month I renewed my annual homeowners/renters/umbrella/car insurance and used a CC to get points. I assume this higher balance dinged my credit scores. Next month I assume it will go back down.

It's either that or the issuance of the new costco visa.... It doesn't even go into effect till tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I also check Credit Karma weekly to see if anything has changed. Currently at 833 but it has dipped into the 820's with large credit card balances. We pay the cards off monthly but I have no control as to when CK does their pull so sometimes it lists current balance as $500 and other times $5,000.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
+1

I thought it would be a huge pain renting after FIRE with no rental history. But it's been very easy, even with a dog. I can't prove it's due to credit score but I can't see what else it could be.
That's nice to hear. I have a cat and plan to rent two years from now in a town with a 1% vacancy rate.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
+1

I thought it would be a huge pain renting after FIRE with no rental history. But it's been very easy, even with a dog. I can't prove it's due to credit score but I can't see what else it could be.
That just reminded me - when the 1st wife and I went to rent an apartment it was my credit score that got us in. According to the manager hers alone would have been rejected.

Should have been a huge red flag but I didn't know better at the time.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mine is stuck in the 780's- according to the monthly update I get via Amex, I have two things counting against me:

Not having loans (because oh hey i don't, my car is long paid for, no mortgage).
Too few accounts (because I don't have a wallet full of plastic, 2 amex and a visa is all).

So I got another credit card, but then I can never remember to use it, and I though what am I even trying to prove? But it does annoy me that I'm not over 800....
Old 06-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Mine is stuck in the 780's- according to the monthly update I get via Amex, I have two things counting against me:

Not having loans (because oh hey i don't, my car is long paid for, no mortgage).
Too few accounts (because I don't have a wallet full of plastic, 2 amex and a visa is all).
I'm not sure about this. We're down to three credit cards as well - one each of AmEx, Visa, and MC (well, tomorrow it'll be two Visas thanks to Costco) and no loans since we paid off the mortgage seven years ago.

I ignored FICO since having stopped using most credit around the time FICO became important. But our BofA Travel Visa offers a FICO score, so I glanced at it recently and we're at 824 (down from 827 last month, it seems to vary a few points each month according to the graph at BofA).

I have no idea why we have this score.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread made me curious. I have not logged into Credit Karma for a while, so just did that.

It says 823 from TransUnion, and 827 from Equifax. I don't know what it is all good for, but it should not hurt. I guess lower insurance premiums would be one of the benefits.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks for the credit karma info. i jus
t registered on the site. 826 credit score. it was 835 back in jan according to the car dealer.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #40

My barclays CCs offer free Fico scores. I was in the 820-840 range or so with one of the relevant items being no recent balances. The problem is that I would send in a check before the statement closed resulting in a negative balance each month.

As soon as I stopped doing that and would show a balance at the end of the month that was paid within a few days, my score shot up to 850. It has been there for the better part of a year except for the time when I started pre-paying/running a negative balance again and within a few months the score dropped. Repeating the process of paying after the statement closed again restored the score to 850.

-gauss