Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I think FICO, given my zero use of credit, is a non-entity. It has become a "badge of honor" for some folks. The schemes to get zero interest loans are not worth the effort in my opinion. My wife gets wrapped up in the credit card points scheme, but I personally don't think the throughput is worth the effort. I still think showing up with a wad of dead presidents will get you a better deal. For the scoreboard, I'm well north of 800.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I used to use Credit Karma.... you do not provide them any info... they get it from the reporting services just like anybody else can...

"You" are the product... they try and sell you loans and CCs... probably more things, but I just ignored all that so I am not sure... however, I did not find that it was accurate once I started to get my score on various CCs... I stopped using them years ago...
Don't they need your SS# to access your credit report?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm too nervous to register my sensitive info at Credit Karma.

All my credit cards are offering free FICO scores now.
Millions of people use Credit Karma daily without any issue. Its very safe.

The whole point of using Credit karma is to monitor your overall credit snapshot in less than a minute. For free.

If there is a change in your score or if you have any new credit activity on your credit profile , Credit Karma will send an email alert.

There really is no downside to Credit Karma.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes if you agree to their terms when using Credit Karma they will offer products that they determine might interest you. You agree to become a product. Because I wasn't a product before.lol

Its a fair tradeoff. Its not like they have pop up ads or make you watch a video ad like most websites do these days.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this the same Credit Karma mentioned in the following story?

How Fandango and Credit Karma exposed millions of smartphone users’ data | Ars Technica

Quote:
Developers of two popular smartphone apps—Fandango and Credit Karma—have been caught transmitting passwords, social security numbers, birth dates, and other highly sensitive user data over the Internet without properly encrypting it first, officials with the Federal Trade Commission said.
At a minimum, signing up on a website means you need to input your personal data on someone else's webserver. That web server is another location that can be breeched.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Millions of people use Credit Karma daily without any issue. Its very safe.

The whole point of using Credit karma is to monitor your overall credit snapshot in less than a minute. For free.

If there is a change in your score or if you have any new credit activity on your credit profile , Credit Karma will send an email alert.

There really is no downside to Credit Karma.
So they DO require your social security number and date of birth.

No thank-you!

How do you know that it's very safe?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

How Fandango and Credit Karma exposed millions of smartphone users’ data | Ars Technica

At a minimum, signing up on a website means you need to input your personal data on someone else's webserver. That web server is another location that can be breeched.
Exactly!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So they DO require your social security number and date of birth.

No thank-you!

How do you know that it's very safe?
Yes they require your SSN and DOB to monitor your credit activity and to show you your credit reports and also to give you your credit scores .

The reality is that all your personal info is already out there. So is mine.

So like millions of other Credit Karma users I find the free service to monitor my credit the best peace of mind possible.

Its a question of being proactive about protecting your credit in real time.

Are you familiar with Clark Howard? He has been telling his millions of radio listeners for years about credit Karma. It is proven safe for millions of users.

Clark Howard has a free consumer advocate team you can call or checkout his website Clark.com.

Now that I use Credit Karma I would feel uncomfortable if I didn't check my credit for fraud or mistakes.

I do understand your concern. I signed up for Mint and that freaked me out having to give all my passwords to every account.

But millions of people use Mint without issue. The millennial generation doesn't give sharing personal data a second thought. The future is now.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

In 2016 we should probably just assume all our data has been breached.

So if Credit Karma drops the ball at least they will tell me about it.

There is no perfect solution but Credit Karma is definitely one of the best ways to monitor your credit for free.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Yes they require your SSN and DOB to monitor your credit activity and to show you your credit reports and also to give you your credit scores .

The reality is that all your personal info is already out there. So is mine.
I don't accept that argument. I don't know that my personal information has been exposed, and I'm not going to expose it to a free credit monitoring website.

The rest of your post sounds like an ad.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I suspect it's more a matter of worrying about employees getting into serious financial problems which might make them more likely to steal, or make them more susceptible to bribes and blackmail.
I did executive search for 20 years and we did credits reports for finalist whenever state law allowed. Things we learned: employers excluded from resumes, patterns of behavior that might raise concerns about responsibility, addresses at locations not on resume,legal judgements that could impair work performance to name a few
Nwsteve
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't accept that argument. I don't know that my personal information has been exposed, and I'm not going to expose it to a free credit monitoring website.

The rest of your post sounds like an ad.
Yes it sounds like you're not ready for credit karma.

No worries
Old 06-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #73

I looked into Credit Karma once but the fact that I had security freezes at all three credit bureaus put a bit of a damper on the registration process.

After a bit of a time out I decided that having the credit freezes in place has served me fine over the years and that Credit Karma was likely unnecessary.

That all being said, my Barclays US cards have a hair-trigger fraud detection department. I have never noticed fraud on these cards that they did not first notice and alert me accordingly.

I am so confident in my setup that when my employer lost my personal information and offered to "make me whole" by offering 1 year of free credit monitoring (which also required my SS # and personal information to sign up ironically) I declined.

I don't think that identity fraud is nearly the threat that it was a decade ago before states started to require, by law, that credit bureaus make this service available to everyone for a nominal fee.

I say this as someone who does not live paycheck-to-paycheck. I know that a fraud committed on myself would not impact me long term (ie I would likely be made whole by the commercial institution involved) but there may be a cash-flow hit in the short term.

I also realize that many in America (unlike ER board members) could not sustain the temporary cash-flow hit and thus would need to worry more about this issue and perhaps all things financial in their lives.

-gauss
Old 06-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Late last year, I applied for an increase in the limit on my main CC. It was rather low and I wanted it higher in case I needed to use my CC to pay the hospital bill following my July hospital stay. My credit score was between 810 and 820 which probably led to an instant approval during a quick call to a bank rep. I didn't end up using the CC to pay the hospital bill months later.

Oddly, after 6 months of my credit score being between 810 and 820, it took a small hit down to 805 in May. I'll be a little curious to see what happens when it gets updated in the next few days. My CC use hasn't changed recently.
I'm happy to report that my credit score returned to its previous level, where it has been all year. Easy come, easy go?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks all for the Credit Karma recommendation. I quickly found out that my score is 815 (had to enter last 4 digits of SSN). Was relieved because I paid my Dillard's card a month late a couple of years ago - sometimes I go on business travel for two weeks in a row and the statement got missed in a large pile of junk mail. My next goal is to apply for a second general card as I have a single VISA and would like a second card just in case. Am considering an AMEX Blue based on discussion in an earlier thread this year.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #76

Rating comes every month from Discover. So far, haven't found anything that pays me extra for the 800+ rating, so it's not important to me.

On "credit cards"... wondering if anyone has experience with "Bluebird". I opened an account a year ago, but never used it. Seemed like a good deal, as for no fee, I'd be able to open sub accounts (with cards) for any of my family, if they should get into trouble. They get a card, and with a telephone call to me, I can activate their card to send them money or allow credit.